Sunday, October 30, 2016

the ins and outs . . .

This past week was . . . weird. In no small part due to a Thursday routine procedure I had scheduled, which required several days of prep beforehand.  If you know, you know.  If you don't, I'll spare you the details (but only until you're post-50!). Still, I feel like I got a lot of *other* stuff done . . .

For example, when your six-year-old grandson facetimes you to specially request that you make him a new scarf in his new favorite color, you pretty much jump on it . . . 
Yes, black is Sawyer's new favorite color!  He's so cute!  I decided to give the loom a try, mostly because my co-worker has been using one and the results are so even and pretty.
I think it turned out nicely. He'll be able to wrap up twice in it -- it's longer than my 66" frame! Not a bad two-day project, right? And speaking of Sawyer, they just got his school pics back:
He gets more handsome every day! Gosh I miss him and his family!

So, I finished up the black scarf, but then there's Ellie, whose favorite color is "red with sparkles". Can't ignore that, can I?
Of course not! This yarn is a lot lighter (which probably would have been more appropriate for the scarf going to Southern California), but it does have sparkle!

I've been (and will continue today) to do some hand work on a super-secret project that I need to wrap up and get in the mail this week . . .
Terrible shot, right? Good. Ha! I should be able to show a finish next week to make up for it.  :)

I've been doing some other crafty stuff, too . . .
These little guys are "treats" for my preschool Sunday school class.  Today we will make up these sweet little blessings wreaths as our craft, 
So I've got everything cut out and ready for those, too.

My stash is ... unchanged. The unchanged melody. 
Maybe next week?  I'll do some regular sewing this afternoon, too.  Evey's going to be Ursula to Ellie's Ariel. She needs eels.
I'll be making eels.  LOL!  The things we do for our grandchildren, right?!?

And I would be remiss if I didn't share the beautiful shelf my friend made for me, just for this tea-filled space . . .
It's perfect -- my tea tins were starting to be a little cluttered!

I'll be linking up to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts. Y'all enjoy a lovely Sunday . . . and a fabulous week!

:)

14 noted . . .:

Sarah said...

Phooey- my comment disappeared.
I'm sure the grands will squeal with delight over their new scarves. That loom is fantastic. But really? Black as a fav color? Gotta love handsome little boys. Love the new shelf to show all your pretty tea tins. Mine are just laid out in a drawer. Speaking of tea - think I'll go make some!!!

Libby in TN said...

Ellie and Evey are going to be the cutest girls on the block tomorrow! What a special Grandma you are.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a variety of projects! Visiting from Slow Stitching Sunday.

Deb said...

Lots of stitching projects to keep you and the grands happy. Those treats and craft for the Sunday school class are cute. Enjoy your day

Mary said...

Yes, the things we do for the grands! I had to dress up and figure out what to do for our Trunk or Treat. It would gave been ok to just stay home, but it's all for the kids! A safe way to Trick or Treat. I love seeing all the Creative costumes. I made a Mermaid costume, Ellie's funny!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh I love your new tea shelf... so cute!
You are such a good Grandma... I don't think I could force myself to make eels... even for the Grands!

kwiltnkats said...

You are definitely the good grandma. Love the eel costume. Hope everything comes out okay on your procedure =^.^= Yes I know what's going on! Sandi

Needled Mom said...

That is such a cute school picture. The scarves are beautiful too.

Eels???? Sounds like interesting sewing.

Dar said...

With all that variety, you never get bored, right? Love your scarves. That looks like a fun and fast way to make scarves. Cute costume with the eels, but not having any grandkids, I'm in the dark about what's IN and what's not.
You are a great grandma.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I used to love making costumes each year for my daughter when she was little. No grandchildren yet but hopefully, I will get to make costumes for them when the time comes. I hope they enjoy wearing their scarves.

Janet O. said...

My oldest daughter preferred blacks and greys when all of her little friends were into the pinks and purples. She is still eclectic in her tastes, but a very well balanced, otherwise normal person. It happens. : )
Oh, your lucky little Sunday School class. I'll bet they loved those. I teach adults right now, so I don't get to do cute things like that. I just get to study the scriptures real hard so the class isn't four times as smart as the teacher--they are just twice as smart.
Can't wait to see your eel creations.
What a lovely tea display. I see you have some nesting dolls tucked in here and there. I have some little shelf thingys for displaying my nesting dolls. Maybe I should tuck in a jar of tea here and there.

Creations By Cindy said...

AWE...Your grands are precious. And oh yes, the things we do for them...but I wouldn't have it any other way. Loving your projects for your little Sunday school class. How awesome. My middle daughter teaches 4th grade at church and had the kids a Fall Party yesterday. She, like you, added all the extra special touches. I hope that you have a wonderful and blessed week my friend. And oh, I do love your shelf holding your wonderful teas. Bought me some teas yesterday! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Kate said...

Wow, Sawyer really has grown! It happens so fast, it's like you blink and they are applying for college! Very fun crafty stuff going on at your place. I like those pumpkin baskets, I bet they were a bit hit with the kiddos.

Ranch Wife said...

So much creativity coming from those busy hands of yours! I know that crafting for those precious grand babies brings you great joy! I guess I can't keep calling them babies...look at that handsome young Sawyer! He's going to be the most dapper young fella in school with that wonderful scarf and every girl needs eels made by her loving Neesey to complete the perfect outfit! I know they were darling!