Sunday, October 23, 2016

all the things . . .

What an odd week . . . we had something pretty much every evening this past week, and I feel like I've been oh-so-busy. But for the life of me, I can't figure out what ate up all the hours in all of the days of the week! Okay, well that's not completely true. As I went back through photos I'd taken (which were relatively few this week), I remembered a couple of things:

The only thing I don't like about this time of year is that I leave in the dark . . .
And I come home in the dark . . .
As much as some don't like it, I'll be really glad when we switch over to daylight savings time in two weeks, so at least it's brighter in the morning!

I *do* love the fall color . . . to that end, thanks to everyone who saw THIS post and voted for me!
This is the entrance into the camp. Isn't it pretty??! Voting is open until the 24th.  Just sayin!

Evey came by to see me at work last Thursday.  We had a lovely visit right up until her mama HAD to leave to pick up Ellie at school:
Two years old and strong willed equals a good ol' face-on-the-floor tantrum.  It was loud but brief and kinda funny to watch (and since it was me she didn't want to leave, rather gratifying, as well -- just don't tell her mama I said that!).

The ENTIRE day of Friday (my off day -- our together day) was dedicated to acquiring a new car for me. The PT Cruiser (aka Princess Buttercup) is ten years old and to the point where it's starting to need things that add up to $$$.  And we had to decide if we wanted to put the $$$ into her, or into a newer vehicle. I have loved my little PT Cruiser well, but she's not well suited to camp life (because she sits SO low to ground), so after a lot of online research and a lot of trying different things out, we settled on the Ford Escape. I'm please to introduce Ms. Scarlet (with a middle name of Ariel, as a nod to Ellie) . . .
Nice, huh?  It's a 2014 with low mileage and GREAT gas mileage (which the PT Cruiser did NOT get). I'm very pleased with her! And just so you know, this is why I gave her a middle name:
Hahahaha!  Joc says it's been pretty near impossible to get Ellie out of the wig and she's had to forbid her to sleep in it!  Gotta love it!

Finally, on Saturday, I attended the Tennessee Valley Colony meeting of the Alabama Mayflower Society. I'm a member, but my folks are Maryland members. I thought it would be a fun way to introduce them to the Mayflower Society in Alabama and they would get to meet new people and visit a Huntsville attraction (Constitution Village).  
My mom has quite the ribbon of ancestors! Of course, mine would look just like that, with the addition of William White, from my dad's side!

After the tour, we all had lunch at Humphrey's just off the square in downtown Huntsville.  While we were that close, I persuaded my folks to visit Harrison Brother's Hardware which is on the square. It's the oldest hardware business in Alabama and is now run by the historical society as a gift shop.
So I had to take a selfie with my mom outside the shop while we waited for my dad to park!

Needless to say, my stash report is unchanged.
And in fact, I have done NO stitching this week, and have nothing planned for today (except homecoming at church and a trip back to Lyon Farm with the grands).  So, no slow stitching for me. Maybe next week.  Maybe not!  Anyway, linking up to Patchwork Times this morning!

I hope for you are able to enjoy a quiet, blessing-filled Sunday!

:)

10 noted . . .:

Libby in TN said...

My heart just skipped a beat. Reading your post I was thinking I would qualify for the Mayflower Society too ... then ... because I'm related to William White!!! I'd love to see where our lineage departs.

Kate said...

We leave in the dark these days, but we still drive home in the light. Not looking forward to the driving home in the dark, but at least we'll get morning light to wake us up. Looks like you had a great week. Congrats on the new wheels. It does reach a point where you start worrying if you are going to get where you need to go. Have a great week.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Family is always first, then self - you have your priorities straight.

Kalicocreations said...

I leave in the dark also. What a fun family filled week you had! Congrats to Ms. Scarlet on acquiring a new family :)
Terry

Janet O. said...

Hope your new car serves you well. Looks like a beauty!
What a classic tantrum shot! I admit, it made me laugh--don't tell Joc.
I'll bet that little Arial is in Disney Princess Heaven with that cool costume. : )
So hard to tell you and your Mom are related--NOT!!

Needled Mom said...

Love the photo of you and your mom. You look a lot alike.

The dark is what I dislike about the season too, but I did love seeing that temper tantrum. They always make me chuckle for some reason.

Enjoy the beautiful new set of wheels.

Sarah said...

Ok so I also thought the tantrum shot was a riot! She had a good reason for not leaving and it was short so what's the harm? We all had a good laugh but she may regret several years from now when you can show her the photo online! Can your Mom transfer her Mayflower membership? My family only recently learned we were Mayflower descendants so I had no idea the society existed. I don't envy you those dark drives - it's deer season here so I'm guessing that is an added problem for you as well. Welcome Ms Scarlett Ariel. I'm sure Ellie will find it amusing!

Linda in Calif. said...

Isn't it funny that if our kids had tantrums it was not funny - but it is with the grandkids? What a great picture! That's for sharing it as it made me smile today. And oh I won't say a word to mama that you were a bit happy over the reason why she threw that tantrum. LOVE the new car! (I'm jealous - sort of. I'm just now in the considering phrase of getting a new vehicle.)

Sandra Colwell said...

Happy new car! You and your mom are just beautiful.

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Love your new set of wheels, and it is definitely a plus to get the added fuel mileage! Yes these longer winter days are upon us! How wonderful that you and your parents are part of the Mayflower Society with so many descending relatives! And the selfie with you and your mom is just darling! Sounds like you have a delightful week ahead too with the grands, life is good :) Hugs to you today, my friend!