Sunday, November 20, 2016

family traditions . . .

This time of year . . . what I like to refer to as the holiday season . . . seems to be a time of enjoying family traditions, or starting new ones, as the case may be, for a lot of folks. It's no different in my family. We enjoy reliving past Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings and introducing new family members (either by marriage or birth) to our 'ways'. But one of my absolute favorite NEW traditions (and I say new because it's just been the past five years) is the annual Merkel Santa photo.

Jocelyn and Jason take the girls, and with a gathering of their friends--and their friends' children--do the walking trail through the Galaxy of Lights at the Botanical Gardens. (Just FYI, I wait until we can drive through). And at the end of the trail, there's Santa Claus. And the children happily, even eagerly, climb in Santa's lap and share their list of Christmas wishes.

Well, all children but the Merkel children, that is.  Without further ado, I share our family's funniest tradition:
Ellie and Santa 2012
Ellie (with Sawyer) and Santa 2013
Love Sawyer's holding his ears!
Merkel Girls and Santa 2014
Merkel Girls and Santa 2015
Merkel Girls and Santa 2016
Oh gracious, I love these girls! And the Santa is precious -- I'm sure he's had years of practice. Maybe next year we'll have our happy, smiling picture?!?  Or maybe not . . .

It occurred to me this morning that I'd like to make some kind of special ornament for each of the grands.  Hmmmm.  I need to get busy on that. I didn't make a whole lot of poinsettia ornament progress -- I finished two big ones and one little one:
I do love these! I have two or three more cut out that will be a good, slow project for some Sunday afternoon stitching!

Ellie, on the other hand, made FORTY ornaments this past week (with the help of her mama). She crafted these darling little Christmas trees . . . and then sold them for $5 a piece.  She made this one especially for me (it has an extra bead on it, because she knows how much I love beads).
Her mama posted them on facebook and instagram, and Ellie's sold *all* of them. With her proceeds, she's going to go through one of the organizations that helps families in need in third world countries, and send goats and chickens and water wells.  Pretty smart thinking on the part of that mama, is what I'm thinking!  :)

The grandbabies (and their mommies and daddies) are all together in California this week . . .
Look how grown they all are!  The only one missing is Evey.  It may have only been 7 o'clock local time, but it was 9 o'clock Evey time!

My stash report remains an unchanged melody . . .
Same song, second (or twenty-second) verse. A little bit louder and a little bit worse!

I'll be linking up with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts today.

Enjoy this beautiful day that the Lord has made; rejoice and be glad in it!

:)

16 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I had such a giggle with those 'Santa Years' photos - oh my!!! Yes, they are all growing so fast.

Kate said...

I enjoyed the Santa photos - precious memories for you.

Sarah said...

I hope you are in Cali with all the grands, mommies and daddies!!

Yikes - those girls just do not like Santa. Santa's face is just a delightful contrast to the girls. He must love his job to add such character to the photos.

Needled Mom said...

Did the kids bring us rain???? I hope so - good for us, but guess it's not great if it is a vacation.

I always love the crying Santa photos. Oh...what we do to our children! Those are still my favorites. The little ones grow up way too fast.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

CathieJ said...

I love those Santa photos. Santa is a really good sport.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Cute Santa photos...someday they will have a good laugh at them!

Janet O. said...

Oh, this brings back memories of my oldest, but her fear did not carry over to the others.
That is a great Santa--he makes the photos even cuter with his looks of amazement. : )
Hopefully soon the girls will not see visits to Santa as a method of torture that must be endured each holiday in order for Santa to bring them gifts. LOL
Love what Ellie and her smart mama did to raise money for those in need. What a wonderful experience.
Looks like the grands were very happy to be back together again.
Unchanged melody--cute. : )

Cheryl said...

Oh, my! Poor, little Ellie! Bless her heart. :) Have a wonderful day and Christmas season!!

Jennie in GA said...

So much fun to see how differently children respond to Santa. Lovely family.

Missy Shay said...

Those poor girls are terrified of Santa!

SpicingUpIdaho said...

How sweet of Ellie to make such amazing little trees, and use the money to give it away too! That is just a precious story, and made my day. So awesome! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Denise!

Kate said...

Love those Santa pictures! DT wasn't too thrilled with the man either, till she got a bit older. The trees are darling. Sounds like Ellie already understands the meaning of giving and service.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Poor Santa, poor girls--maybe one day

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Cute post...poor "Santa"! Love your photos adorable girls even though they crying, next year will be better!!!! Hug's, Carolyn

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Cute post...poor "Santa"! Love your photos adorable girls even though they crying, next year will be better!!!! Hug's, Carolyn

Linda in Calif. said...

This is the best post ever! Love seeing all those crying pictures - and Santa's picture in the end is priceless! Merry Christmas!