Tuesday, December 31, 2013

out with the ... hmmmm . . .

You know, as I move my marker from "50", I'm not so sure I like that saying any more!  Out with the old??!  But why?  It's still perfectly good!  New is *not* necessarily better ... is it?!  NO!  Ha!

Todd and I did venture out for a bit yesterday.  It wasn't encouraging that right off the bat, the car decided not to cooperate!
A jump start and she was fine.  We even stopped and had the battery checked to make sure it didn't need replacing, but it was fine, too.  I think she may have been a tad jealous that we used the golf cart for our 'first' outing.  Persnickety thing!

We needed real food, so the grocery store was on our circuit.  Actually, I went there while Todd took off to see about the car.  Call me crazy but I'd been craving red meat.  With gravy.  And homemade yeast rolls (what is this affair with bread making lately?) . . .
Dinner was good . . . and so will be today's lunch!

I finished whipping up all my little pieces for the GC block and started whipping them together.
I remember now why I skipped this block.  I've probably made it a lot more difficult than it needed to be, but it sure looks pretty!
Especially when it's attached to the background fabric!

When I got tired of whipping pieces together, I pulled out my snowflake block fabrics.  I decided that since I really did want the look of a snowflake, I'd try it in blues and whites and grey.  Here's what I came up with:
I had to do a little refresher course on paper-piecing, it had been so long.  But once I saw the first step, it all came back ... like riding a bicycle ...
Yes -- I'm very pleased with the overall on this one!!  (I photocopied my one finished one six times so I could see what the finished piece would look like.  It's how I roll.)  Now only five more triangles to do. Hmmm . . . where is that GC block?

If my recollecting is correct, in addition to the snowflake, I started (and even finished) a couple of other NewFO projects in the merry ol' month of December.


Pretty darn productive and definitely worth a link up to the December NewFO linky party over at Cat Patches!!

Finally, the view out of the RV window this morning . . .
I love living in a place where this is what greets me in the morning!  Enjoy this last day of 2013 and let me wish you a very happy, peaceful and blessing-filled 2014!

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Barbara said...

What cute blocks! Love them all.

Melissa Bishop said...

They both are going to look so good. And yes, where you live is idyllic!

sew.darn.quilt said...

Happy New Year, Denise :)

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE that snowflake block. The others are spectacular too, but that one really caught my eye.

Great morning guests there!!!

gpc said...

Love your blocks -- the snowflake is amazing! - and LOVE your view! :)

Love Bears All Things said...

That roast dinner sure looks delicious.....and you are one productive lady.....would love to see Deer out the window, used to when we lived in PA.
Mama Bear

Mary said...

I had to make a dinner with red meat this week also! Bread is way too good to go with it. Nice minis you started and finished in the Merry Month of December.

Barbara B said...

You've been busy! Love all you share with us. Happy New Year, Denise, glad you are feeling all better!

Janet O. said...

Sorry I missed that dinner--I was invited, wasn't I?
That is a very pretty block, but I am glad it was you who made it and not me!
The snowflake you are creating reminds me that I bought a pattern last year for a paper pieced snowflake quilt. Hmm, wonder if I can work that in somehow with my UFOs. : )
You've had some lovely finishes this month, Denise!
And I love your view--can we swap now and then?

Cathy said...

We've been doing home made breads here, too. The 4 of us went in together on one of those heavy duty kitchen aid mixers, which does a bang up job of kneading dough. I love all your projects, and you continue to whip it, whip it good. LOL ;)

Kate said...

Your Grandmother's Choice blocks looks great. That was the block that made me throw in the towel on that BOW. All your other December starts look great too.

Now you've got me thinking about pot roast. Maybe I should fix that for our New Year's Day dinner.

Have a very Happy New Year.

Jean(ie) said...

I love those two blocks! Glad the car started up. It just lost it's charge... We all do that every now and then.

Dar said...

Denise, I love that cute little snowman quilt and your tree one too. You accomplished a lot in Dec.
May you and your family be blessed with good health, happiness and peace in 2014.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love that snowman quilt (not that the other quilts/blocks aren't fabulous, but that snowman quilt really appeals to me!). And after seeing your picture, I too have a hankering for a roast ... yum! Happy New Year!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Look at all these beautiful things - girls you did well! And that meal looks scrumptious. I'm "eating healthier" and, like you, I'm beginning to crave some red meat. :) blessings, marlene

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

50 is so much fun...and now I am really enjoying 60!! You are obviously very talented. Thanks for joining us in the blog hop...hope you can hop over to my site and say hello!!

Katherines Corner said...

cute! your dinner looks yummy too, sometimes you just have to indulge those cravings, yum!. Thank you for sharing and joining in the fun at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. I am leaving some hugs on your lovely blog