Sunday, December 29, 2013

the final math of stash . . .

Stash (n): a secret store of valuables or money [or fabric].

It's finally occurred to me that December's stash report is also the last of the year. I can't believe how little fabric I've added to the stores in the last two months, but there you have it. I have gotten a little usage in, though, and that makes me happy, happy, happy!

Used/donated this month: 2.5 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 38.75 yards
Purchased/added this month: 0.25 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 86.75 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -48.0 yards

Truly (and especially when compared to the end-of-year numbers of 2012) a remarkable feat, if you ask me. Well shoot ... see for yourself! Here are 2012's final cumulative numbers:

Used/donated year-to-date: 50.5 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 194.75 yards
Net used/donated for 2012: -144.25 yards

Believe it or not, I'm a numbers kind of gal.  They fascinate me and I enjoy extrapolating what they have to say.  For example, while at first glance it may appear that I created/used more in 2012, if you actually break out that 50.5 yards used against the 194.75 yards purchased, you'll find that I only created with about twenty-five percent of what I took in.  Whereas this year, I created with better than forty-four percent of my fabric booty!  That feels like metro-major accomplishment to me!
Some of the projects that counted towards this last report's usage were Christmas presents for the grandbabies. Both June and Ellie were getting baby dolls for Christmas, so I felt they needed quilts for their dear little dollies. And then I couldn't leave Sawyer 'without', so "Snow Buddies" (which I shared earlier) was for him.
In this instance, I don't care what the numbers have to say . . . those precious little babies say it all so much better!

Linking up with Patchwork Times.

:)

12 noted . . .:

Teresa in Music City said...

What wonderful pictures Denise!!! Looks like a fun time was had by all at your house this Christmas :*) Well, except for the sickness (how did I miss that post????) I've been battling bronchitis for several weeks now and it just hangs in there. Each day I feel a little better though, so I'm beginning to believe that I may survive it LOL!! Hoping you are all getting over it too :*) Happy New Year!!!!

Melissa Bishop said...

We missed every celebration this year. Your photos of the little one enjoying the quilts you made them really made my day. I love the look on Sawyer's face!
We are all feeling much better now. Thank you so much for all your prayers. Happy New Year!!

Quilter Kathy said...

What beautiful photos... love the one of Sawyer!
Hope you are feeling better!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great photos - yes, way better than numbers. Hope you are getting better with each day.

Dee Dee said...

Sawyer looks thrilled with his quilt! Where do you find room to store your stash?
Have a happy happy New Year?

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love the photos....cute kids for sure.

kwiltnkats said...

I'm positive your grandchildren love the joy of your handiwork. Your numbers do look great when you do the math as you've done! Have a wonderful sewing year next year too. Sandi

Jean(ie) said...

40% stash usage is pretty cool in my book. Congrats!

Janet O. said...

I just admire that you even try to keep track of ins and outs with your fabric. I figure what I don't know won't guilt me : )
Love the look on Sawyer's face--priceless!!

Terri in BC said...

Don't you just love sewing for the little ones? They have an amazing way of showing how much they appreciate and love it! Your little Sawyer is priceless.

Mary said...

Glad you are feeling better. Making Bread is a form of therapy, I love it fresh out of the Oven! You have used more than you obtained this year. Good reporting. I just didn't like having to count it coming in. So I quit the Stash reporting. Less guilt...

Kate said...

Love your comparison between this year and last years report. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers to find the real meaning.