Saturday, December 07, 2013

a whole lot of ho-ho-holiday fun . . .

Thanksgiving was lovely and fun . . . 
. . . and the holiday somehow slipped into December without me realizing it! I'd say I was shocked or surprised--but really, it's the eleventh time it's happened this year, so I'm just accepting it. C'est la vie!

Ellie and I started the month off right by making our first Christmas craft of the season on Tuesday:
A hands and foot print Rudolph!  Isn't it darling?  We made four . . . one for me, and three for Jocelyn and whoever she wanted to share them with.

Wednesday, Kim and James brought Sawyer and June and a friend and her three children up to the camp for a candy cane scavenger hunt!  Isn't that awesome? They brought a picnic lunch and then after they ate, while the kids played on the playground, James and I hid the loot.
They all had a great time and went home with buckets full of fun Christmas cheer and treasure!

Thursday was my Stitchers Etc. stitch group Christmas party.  As always, we're to bring an ornament to exchange, wrapped in a Christmas fat quarter.  I found a darling sewing machine ornament at Cracker Barrel:
I spruced it up by making its own mini quilt out of the same material it was wrapped in.  It was really cute--so much so that I may go back to Cracker Barrel and get another two or three of those!  I also came home with a really darling ornament . . .
I adore holly, so this really made me squeal with delight!  It was wrapped in a darling fat quarter, but I'll share that later (wink, wink).

Friday morning, I picked Sawyer up and we met Jocelyn and her kindergarten class at the Von Braun Center, where they were showing Disney's Princesses and Heroes on Ice!!  It was *awesome*!!
I think the look on Sawyer's face speaks volumes!  He and I both had a blast -- he was transfixed by it all and I spend half my time watching the show and the other half watching his sweet face!

Friday evening, I worked on/finished up a little button craft I'd started . . .
I've seen these all over Pinterest and had determined I was going to make my own!  I finished it up and Todd and I declared it The Polar Express night.  Of course, you can't watch that movie without a nice mug of 'gourmet' hot chocolate!
I'm proud to say I still hear the bell ring.  Just sayin'.

The week has been *so* busy ... non-stop motion ... so I decided today would be 'stay in your pj's' day.  It was lovely!  Todd had a Sunday school get together with his class (at someone else's house) this afternoon, so it was just me and my sewing machine!!  Remember that FQ my ornament was wrapped in?  I put it to perfect use . . .
As the background for my Christmas tree!  The brightly colored packaged made the perfect backdrop, don't you think?  I started and finished it today.  I love, love, love this and I'm so glad to have a festive Christmas something to replace the pumpkin in my mini quilt stand.  Hahaha!! Working with all the buttons and beads for the wreath ornament got me wanting to play with more beads.  I used holographic thread to criss-cross the tree like garland (or lights) and then took a metallic silver and *paired* it with a dark, glossy red to quilt the cross hatches. I'd never run double thread through my machine before ... I liked the effect. So FUN!

Friday kicked off The REAL Studio Tour sponsored by Vicki Welsh of Field Trips in Fiber.  This week we were to share our favorite non-traditional tool.  One that wasn't a standard tool, but one borrowed from the garage or the kitchen or wherever.  To be honest, I had a really hard time with this one.  Because as non-traditional as my quilting and my quilting space are . . . my tools are pretty darn traditional!  The closest I could come up with is my window design wall . . .
The windows in the bunk room of the RV are slender and long . . . and one is the perfect place to hang an end of a vinyl tablecloth, so I can audition blocks.  Right now it's filled with assorted stitchery projects. Including the cornucopia....Ooops! That window is also doubles as a great place to hang my thread collection *and* my square hoop. I like having my threads just an arm's length away. Be sure to come back next Friday when we share our favorite storage methods!!

Time to tuck in . . . there's a whole new week of activities starting tomorrow morning . . . I *need* my beauty sleep!!

:)

12 noted . . .:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I gather you must live in a RV so your use of the window is definitely ingenious!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

So much goodness in this post. Love the kids faces and what a great idea for a candy cane hunt. Sweet little ornament given and received. Love what you did with your FQ!! And buttons oH my how cute is that!! Sounds like you are really taking the time to enjoy the season.

Janet O. said...

All kinds of festive fun going on at your house! Always makes me smile to see what you are up to! : )

Pat said...

What a great post with so many fun things in it! I also love a "stay in pj's" day once in awhile...and you made a really cute piece with that small Christmas tree hanging.

Mary said...

I love to see the cute smiles and twinkly eyes of your Grandbabies! They are all growing up, you have reason to take the time to Watch them grow.

Vicki W said...

I love your space saving design wall!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love all those Christmas ornaments... so special!

elle said...

Design walls are important and any spot can work. Great post!

Sarah said...

A candy cane hunt is a brilliant idea! So many other cute projects with tiny quilts and tree quilts and button wreaths and and and! There was crushed candy canes on that cocoa, if I hand't left the Keurig at home I would make a cuppa right now... Yumm!

Paula said...

Those babies are growing so fast.
Sawyer's face is priceless as he watches the action. They are all so adorable. Must take after their grandma.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Girl you've had a lot going on! I love that button wreath. :) blessings, marlene

Kate said...

Oh my goodness,little June isn't so little anymore! Looks like they had fun with the scavenger hunt.

Your mini Christmas tree quilt is darling. Nicely done!