Sunday, December 21, 2014

slowing down . . .

In all manner of things, it would seem.  I've obviously slowed down in posting . . . I've slowed down physically, due to one of my notorious sinus infections which leaves me lethargic, coughing and voiceless. Which in turn slows down all other aspects . . . shopping, gift-wrapping, and crafting! Ah well, to everything, turn, turn, turn. 

In other words, my afternoon of slow Sunday stitching turned into napping on the couch with White Christmas playing in the DVD player! So instead, I thought I'd show off Ellie's dress . . .
Which I finished in the nick of time for the ballet!

She was thrilled with it . . .
Isn't she precious??
She, Jocelyn and I all had a marvelous time watching the Nutcracker.  Ellie was totally enchanted by it all!

This week, my stash took some very minor hits . . . 5 fat quarters, to be exact.
One was used to wrap an ornament for my Stitcher's Group, and the other four were gifted to another quilter.  None purchased.  It's been a while since I actually *bought* fabric!  Linking up today with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts.

We have two Christmas cacti at work and both had tons of buds.  One of them finally burst forth in glorious bloom this week . . .
Isn't that marvelous?!

And finally, we had our December guild meeting on Thursday, which is our holiday dessert fellowship.  I was so tickled with the table centers, which were also door prizes:
I was even more tickled when my ticket number was called and one came home with me! Isn't this just precious? One of the hostesses' husbands made the trees ... and then the ladies on the hostess team made the sweet little ornaments to hang on it!  Perfect for a quilting/sewing/crafting room, I'd say!

I have a lot of catching up to do if I'm going to be prepared for Christmas Eve with the family, so things will probably continue to be quiet here on the blog.  But as we all gear up for all the festivities of Christmas week, let me leave you with a thought from this morning's Advent devotional, which kicks off the week of peace:

True lovers of peace are those who, in all their sufferings upon the earth, remain at peace in mind and body for the love of Jesus Christ. - Francis of Assisi
Or as Paul put it in his letter to the believers in Philippi:  Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

May your week be peace-filled!

:)

17 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a cutie-pie - I can just see her enchanted face. Beautiful cacti - mine is a white one and has been in bloom since Halloween. Cute tree and ornaments. Merry Christmas and Season's Blessings

Cathy said...

Sinus infections.. nasty things. Hope you're feeling better soon, and wishing you a happy Christmas with your lovely family.

Quilter Kathy said...

The dress is spectacular! Hope you feel better real soon!

Kaisievic said...

Ellie looks adorable. Sinus troubles are just awful so I hope that you feel better very soon.

Mary said...

Sorry you're feeling ill. No fun. I'll enjoy a quiet Christmas. We gathered together last night. Loved that Ellie got to see the Nutcracker. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Dee Dee said...

Denise - the dress is fabulous! Ellie is an adorable model.
Hope you are feeling better soon.
Have a wonderful Merry Christmas

Janet O. said...

So you are involuntarily taking a slower pace for the holiday?
Ellie's dress is so sweet--what a good grandma she has! Looks like you had a great outing!
What a fun little tree--That will be a wonderful decoration for your sewing area--but it needs some "happy lights"! Do you have any of the tiny led battery operated ones? They'd be perfect!
Merry Christmas, girlfriend, and get well quickly!! : )

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Ellie looks so sweet in the dress!! Hope the infection is quickly banished and you pick up speed to enjoy the Christmas season. Merry Christmas and God bless us all!!!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh yes, Miss Ellie is perfectly adorable!!! And so is her Grandma :) You did such a wonderful job on her dress, no wonder she was thrilled. I'm so sorry you are dealing with sinus - I truly know how that is. I had to go to the dr with one when in Carolina. Rest up, get well and enjoy your time with family over the holidays my friend.

Love your quote from Francis of Assisi - I've written it down and pasted it to my devotional wall to remind me in the coming weeks to keep calm and at peace, no matter how crazy life gets :*)

Hugs & Blessings!!!!!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Ellie's dress turned out lovely! I hope you feel better quickly and have a very Merry Christmas!

Melissa Bishop said...

Love her dress. And she is so cute in it. The cactus is beautiful. Merry Christmas!

Kate said...

Ellie looks very elegant in her very pretty dress.

I hope you sinus crud gets better soon. We've all had some version of respiratory distress this week. It's definitely not fun.

Merry Christmas! It's funny how peace during this season can show up in the middle of all family chaos, but it often does.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I think there are many of us slowing down right now - me included. I've had a UTI for a week and that's pretty miserable. Love the dress - so cute! May your Christmas be filled with His love! blessings, marlene

Sarah said...

The dress - and the darling wearing it - are both lovely!! Love the Christmas Cactus. I don't think I've ever seen one white in the center of the petals and pink on the outside.

Kris said...

Oh, Denise - Ellie's dress is just fabulous!! And boy, does she look cute in it!! I am glad you enjoyed the Nutcracker - one of my favorite ballets!! I hope you are feeling better this day after Christmas and that you had a peaceful day yesterday!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Ellie's dress turned out great!

Beedeebabee said...

Hope you had a very happy Christmas Denise! Ellie is just adorable in her precious new dress!...Wishes for all good things in the coming year! xo