Sunday, May 29, 2016

keeping up . . .

I say this all the time, with increasing panic, because I know it gets truer with every passing day. The older one becomes, the faster time flies. Can you believe we're here at the end of May, already? Wow! Memorial Day weekend is one of my favorite holidays. For one, it heralds the beginning of summer. But most importantly, well, I like the way Lee Greenwood said sang it . . .

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men [and women] who died,
who gave that right to me.

Friday we spent the day on the lake. I tried to get in a little stitching time in Saturday morning, and managed to get Evey's bloomers cut and actually sewn (a couple of steps beyond what I'm showing).
But I need waist and thigh measure before I do anything more on those, so they're at a standstill.  You know, I took all kinds of sewing classes in Home Ec and have enjoyed clothes sewing for better than 35 years, but yesterday was the first time ever that I used my rotary cutter to cut out a pattern. It went SO fast and I didn't pin the pattern to the fabric or anything . . . but I felt like I was cheating.  Hahaha!

I'd also purchased a stack of dish drying mats at WalMart for over at the pavilion.  
The 'drying table' is big, so Todd wanted me to get a bunch and stitch them together.
That's a LOT of zigzag stitching right there . . . and they all came out even, too!

Yesterday afternoon was Ellie's first ballet recital! Isn't she precious? Joc took this one backstage, pre-show:
I'd forgotten how much I enjoy watching (especially) the littlest girls do ballet. You can really get a feel for their personalities as they dance!
Ellie was darling and you could tell she put a lot of work into making sure she was doing exactly what she was supposed to be doing. I think she was a little overwhelmed with all the attention and the flowers afterward -- but in a very happy way!

Ooooh . . . I got a package in the mail . . .
Whoohoo!!!  I'd won a *sweet* giveaway over at Janet's blog, Rogue Quilter. Soaps, wool patterns (pumpkin patterns, no less!), an ornament, and a pumpkin pin cushion (both of which Janet made)!
Aaaaaah, and a beautiful purple-ish batik basket quilt, too.  Hand-crafted by Janet herself! I feel very blessed by her generosity and am thinking I need to pay it forward here on my blog, very soon!

I can happily report that my stash report is down by the half a yard it was up last week . . .
Blooming bloomers!  ;)

Today we'll have our annual Memorial Day weekend church picnic and fish fry up here at the camp. But it won't start until late this afternoon. I am going to try and get some slow stitching in before the frenzy.
I'd marked this up a couple of weeks ago, but never got around to stitching it. The way time is flying, July 4th will be here before I know it. I really had better get busy!

So that about wraps it up for me. Linking up to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts this morning. Enjoy the remainder of this long weekend and have a safe and Happy Memorial Day!

:)

14 noted . . .:

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

It sounds like you have been so busy! Ellie is such a doll! I'm sure the recital was fun. Have a wonderful weekend!

Charlene S said...

The littlest one are so cute! Later they take it all in stride. Sewing the mats together is a great idea.

Mary said...

Beautiful granddaughter. I get to go and watch my ballerina next week-end. Bloomers, huh? Always good to get those measurements correct. Time is flying. I'm rushing June for a Retreat & Family time at the Beach! I can hardly wait.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

My youngest granddaughter wanted to take ballet ... until time for the first class. She was only interested in being a ballerina, dressing up in a tutu, etc. ha!

Oh my, you hit the jackpot with Janet's giveaway, didn't you? Love her work.

It doesn't seem possible that it's the end of May ... feels like it is only early April.

Libby in TN said...

I agree, this year is flying! What a sweet ballerina. My GD is a STEM kinda gal.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a cutie patootie! What a lovely win bundle - and so you. We have struggled getting out of the 50's and then yesterday we jumped to 96 - paying for it with some huge thunder/lightening/winds/wash out rains last night and right thru today.

Janet O. said...

Lee Greenwood's song gives me chills every time!!
What a little cutie ballerina. I'll bet that is a fun age to watch. I had a niece that took dance at about that age and during the recital she walked to the edge of the stage and called to her mom, "This isn't fun!" Needless to say, that was her last recital. : )
Glad you got your package. Anyone who saw the giveaway on my blog won't recognize the winnings, but we tailored it a bit just for you.
Hope the fish fry went well.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful parcel you received from Janet! So many goodies to enjoy!
Enjoy your stitching!

Kate said...

Elle looks adorable in her ballet costume. Hope you got in some good slow stitching today.

Jeanna said...

I've never tried using a rotary cutter on garment patterns, I say that is a great idea and if you can make it work then you should not feel guilty.

Ellie is an adorable little dancer.

Hope you had a great weekend.

Rachel said...

Elie looks like she had a lot of fun! What is that you stitched the firework on. It looks like it buttons onto something...? Great winnings. The purple basket quilt is lovely.

cityquilter grace said...

as another recipient of janet's lovely handwork and generosity, i see i am in very good company....lovely gifts as always from janet

Katie Isabella said...

I LOVE those last ones too...the fireworks! How clever!

Linda said...

Beautiful photos! You have a lovely blog and header, too. :)