Sunday, May 15, 2016

bzzzzzzeeeeness . . .

Wow, what a BUSY week it was!  The Campers on Mission group was here working through Friday, but we did a big fish fry for them and the pastors of the association I work for on Thursday. Normally (on a smaller scale) Todd does hush puppies, fries and fish for a fry, but for this event I made three pounds of carrot slaw, twenty-one cups of pineapple slaw, and two gallons of banana pudding. It's a good thing I did -- none of it was left!
This group was a marvelous group of workers . . . they did two months of work in two weeks! The camp has been very blessed to have them out here.

And look what the Campers on Mission did for me . . .
Stairs! With a handrail!! No more climbing up and down on concrete blocks!  What a blessing they've been to *me*!

Friday evening I was helping hostess an engagement party for a sweet young couple.  Jeremy is from Huntsville, but is a Wycliffe translator serving in Romania. His fiancee is Romanian, but also working with Wycliffe. They're only here for a short couple of weeks and then headed back to Romania (and they'll marry there in August).  
I did meatballs and (of course) cream cheese mints for the party. Cream cheese mints are my ministry!
It was a lovely party and well attended. I wish thought to get a picture of Jeremy and Magda, but I was too busy . . . well . . . hostessing!!

Saturday I spent the majority of the day in my Little Nook in the Big Woods.  LOL! The Little House on the Prairie series has *finally* come out on Kindle, and I just recently read through them all. Can you tell? Anyway, I got some things accomplished.  I finished up ornament two (and took a pic of ornament one):
I got the second tab marked and ready to stitch:
I got letters G, I, and J traced and ready to stitch (it's hard to see them, but they're done!):
So I'll definitely have something to work on for my slow, Sunday stitching!

I managed to squeeze in a stop at an LQS to pick up the backing fabric for Evey's quilt. Initially my thought was to use white. And then I got to thinking about Evey and decided that white was dumb. So I got this, instead . . .
Along with the white I'll need to sash the blocks, once I've finished the embroidery. And the floss I'll need for the embroidery.  LOL! And isn't that print just darling??!  Evey is all about 'jurjuls' (turtles) right now. And since I turned around and cut out the backs right away, I can count it out of my stash as fast as I added it in . . .
Whoohoo for me!  The white will be gone soon, too.  Plus I was able to add a little in for these cute little hexies I'm playing with (because we should always add something new to the mix, right?) . . .
I saw a cute little candle mat on Jeanna's blog, Slammin' the Screen Door, and decided I'd like to make one of my own. The pattern arrived in Saturday's mail.
I mean, why not?!?

On top of it all, Joc had purchased this sweet little smocked romper, but the elastic was shot.  She asked me to turn it into a little blouse and make some bloomers to go with it. 
So I cut off the bottom and hemmed it up -- it's really quite darling; I believe it was lovingly made by someone and not a manufactured piece. Now to make up some bloomers!

So that's it for me. I'll link up to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts today.  Enjoy a quiet, happy Sunday . . . this is the day that the Lord has made!!  Rejoice and be GLAD in it!!

:)

17 noted . . .:

Quilter Kathy said...

I love that turtle backing fabric.... so sweet!
How great is it to be able to get in and out of your stitching sanctuary safely?!?
ENjoy your slow stitches today!

The Cozy Quilter said...

That porch rocker looks like a great place to sit and do some hand stitching! Looks like a busy but fun week at your house!

Kalicocreations said...

You are blessed to have such good friends! The turtle fabric is very cute!
Terry

Sarah said...

You forgot to take pictures like I forgot to take pictures at Sharon's. Phooey. Congrats on the updated Nook. I'll be slow stitching today - no deadlines and I'm taking advantage. Well, just I just remembered I should make things to sell at The Co-Op but that can wait till tomorrow:)

Deb said...

Lovely post and wonderful friends to have in your life. That little smocked top is so sweet and the turtle fabric is adorable.
Happy Stitching

Kate said...

Oh, that backing fabric is very cute. It's perfect for Evey. I saw that candle mat made up at the quilt shop yesterday, it was gorgeous. My sister bought the pattern (I hinted that it would make a good gift, so hopefully I won't have to buy the pattern myself!)

Joy D said...

You certainly have been a busy little bee! Great job on all of your projects, and I look forward to seeing more~!

Deb A said...

What a great post. So many cute projects of all types. Love your new stairs and hand rail. Sounds like a great group of people.

CathieJ said...

You always have so many pretty projects in the works. The stairs are great. I love that little place. The candle mat project looks like fun.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

this was a busy / fun post full of lots of variety but I started craving Hush Puppies at the beginning of it and I am still craving them now, lol! :)

Rhonda said...

What fun to read your post and get a glimpse of all you have going on. It made me hungry just looking at all the food! The turtle print is adorable and will make a great back.

Libby in TN said...

You had a VERY busy week. Do you accomplish all that in your little RV? The backing fabric looks like a Mary Englebreit print -- so cute. Hope you have a blessed week.

Needled Mom said...

Wow....it has been a busy week for you. I love your new steps!! That little smocked piece is so cute, but I am a sucker for anything smocked.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the turtle print! Sweet smock top - a blessing it has been saved. I have that table topper pattern and hope to finally get to play with it next month.

Sherrie said...

Hi Denise,
Love your hexies, pretty. The turtle fabric is cute. My embroidery is per-printed on the fabric. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

Janet O. said...

Stairs for the Nook--Oh, happy day!! And I love your Little House inspired name for it. : )
Jurjuls made me chuckle--that is the perfect fabric for her quilt.
I can't believe all of the cooking you have done, and all of the projects you have stitched.
You need more than a slow stitching day. You need a long nap!!

Kaja said...

What a busy week, and you still found time for a lot of stitching. I love the little smocked shirt, great way to rescue it, and your turtle fabric is very sweet.