Wednesday, March 22, 2017

rooting for a finish . . .

Phew! It's been busy.  Really busy.  I didn't get to spend the time in the Nook over the weekend that I wanted to, but I did sneak in there long enough to finish this topper I'd started earlier in the week:
And to make a couple of fabric eggs, (beware: if you click on the link, you'll be compelled to make them) which I'm totally in love with and plan to make kaboodles of.  (:

I finally found a use for these scrumptious fat quarters I purchased YEARS ago at Cindy of Custom Creation's booth at Paducah . . .
They make the most perfect, ornamental and elegant fabric Easter Eggs!

I was delighted, in my recent purge cleanup of the Nook, to find I had enough of the carrot batik to make the topper for me.  I'd made a couple (one each for the Merkel and Panter crews) three years ago, and had tucked the extra fabric away.  
Yay for me, because I totally love, love, adore this carrot print! In fact, if you look closely at the green and orange egg I made, you'll see I fussy cut a carrot on my Easter egg!  I had to make my topper a little smaller than the first two I made (and the template I made for mine is a little more rounded), but I live in a smaller space (and *I'm* a little more rounded), so it works out nicely. I'm glad I went back and read the post from three years ago when I originally constructed these. That's when I remembered that I'd used green felt for the 'batting' on the leafy stems, which enhances the look, in my very humble opinion!

Saturday we took One Accord out for the first time this year. It was sunny, but cool and WINDY. And I spent most of our day looking like this:
LOL! We were exploring some parts of Tim's Ford we'd never been on before (like, navigating by the map and everything), in preparation for our vacation in May. I saw a couple of homes for sale that would make great B&B or quilter/crafter retreat locations . . .

My favorite was the latter. Absolutely gorgeous location on the point. I did a virtual tour of the grounds and scrolled through pics of the interior - whooooeeeee! 

This week is busy with meetings/events/something every night.  I'm really looking forward to Saturday -- I have yet to try anything with that pesky block (besides trying to block/stretch it, which didn't work) and I want to get on it! Thanks for all the good ideas and encouragement -- I think I know what I'm going to try next.

Happy Wednesday -- have a great rest of the week!

:)

11 left a comment . . .:

Barbara said...

Love your little fabric eggs and the carrot table topper. I have a pattern for something similar that I printed off allpeoplequilt.com a long time ago. Keep telling myself I'm going to make it. One of these days...

Sarah said...

Dang girl - 4 posts!! My head is spinning!!! As long as you didn't get a sun burn on your boat trip - it might lead to some strange looks after you took the hoodie off! When you open the retreat center, I call dibs on the room in the turret!

Janet O. said...

Okay, I have to ask--was "rooting for a finish" an intentional pun because you were showing a root vegetable?
Very cute fabric eggs, and I WILL NOT click the link. Last thing I need right now is another distraction!
Looks like you were traveling in the boat incognito because you were spying on homes. *LOL*
So, is opening a B & B or quilt retreat in your future game plan, or just dreaming? If you open either, I may show up on your door. : )

Mary said...

Beautiful Views from your boating adventure. Glad you got your 'Rooted' Finish done. It's very Cute. I know what you mean, I've had something every night so far this week. Tonight I'm staying home after Dinner and Watching QUILTCAM!
Have a good rest of your week, hope you get in some Nook Time.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your carrots from carrot fabric - love that house!

Missy Shay said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Are you planning on buying a retreat center, or do you just like "imagining"?

Creations By Cindy said...

Love all the pictures. And what cute carrots! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute Easter things. I miss living on a lake. We lived on one, way back when I was in junior high.

Kate said...

Very cute little table topper. Perfect for the season. Hope you find some time for stitching this weekend.

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Love love love that carrot topper, just the cutest! Isn't it fun to get inspired, and finish projects to the end! And that boat ride looked very chilly indeed, that was a good picture to show just how cold it was, lol! Beautiful spots you found, ooh la la! We are getting more rain today, and mudslides are happening daily here, shutting down main roads, a crazy spring for sure! Hope you have a lovely day with more quilting fun :)

Dianna said...

The carrot topper is darling...and I love the fabric Easter eggs! So cool!