Wednesday, March 15, 2017

something about that space . . .

When it's clean, anyway, there's definitely something about my Nook space that stirs the creative juices!  Since being in there most of the day on Saturday, I've dreamed of sewing and UFOs that become finished, and fabric that I'd forgotten about, but am suddenly anxious to put to work and ideas for new projects.

Whoa, slow down there Tiger . . . beware the ides of March!  ;)

I recently saw this photo on Instagram, posted by Lucy Brennan of Charm About You fame. 
When I saw it, I *immediately* thought of the five orphan fairy frost blocks and the pile of fairy frost fabric (Michael Miller's) that Jean (Creates) had picked up somewhere and sent me (see this post). 
(Oh, and pay no attention to the fact that it was sent nearly three years ago, okay?)

I've played around and used the fabric in projects. A wall hanging here. A table topper there. But I've never been able to decide what to do with those block and how to really use that fabric up.

Until I saw that IG pic. BAM. It clicked and all the pieces fell into place and I knew *exactly* what I wanted to do with those blocks and that fabric. Oh my yes, I did know. And I have a burning desire to work on it immediately, too!

I have two problems.  One is not so big.  I need a sixth block.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to do about that, until I got to looking at the blocks in My Orange Crush.
Surely any one of those blocks would fit in well with the blocks already prepped. I feel better already.

The second problem I need some help/advice/coaching on. All of the blocks are 10.5" (unfinished). Except one. 
This particular block is 10"ish. One side measured 10.25", one measured 10". What do I do about that?  I've got more of the background fabric--should I just sew a generous strip around on all sides and then square it down to the appropriate dimensions? Someone please tell me how to make this work using the block!  I don't want to create an additional block if I can help it.

Any idears?  Please and thank you!

:)

12 noted . . .:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

You have some very nice pieces there...sorry I'm not around much to comment. I follow so many now, I can't seem to enjoy all of the blogs.
But, your work is beautiful!

Jeanna said...

It's amazing how a clean sewing room motivates us to make a mess again. Your blocks are pretty and you have a great idea for using the fabric. I'm not sure what the answer is to your 10" block, though. I'll be watching to see how others advise.

Enjoy your day!

Needled Mom said...

Great project, but I am thinking it would be easier to make a new block than to repair this one.

Cathy said...

You could try “blocking” it. Dampen it, and use lots of pins to stretch it out to as close to 10 1/2 as you can get it, and then either leave it to dry on its own, or iron it dry.

Kate said...

I like Cathy's suggestion, though adding a border isn't a bad idea either. If you end up doing sashing the same as the background you just wait till you get there and fix it at that point.

Janet O. said...

Cathy's idea sounds like a good thing to try. Also, if your design would work with larger blocks, you could put generous borders around all of them and then trim them all to 12", or something like that. Putting a border around just that block will put a lot of seams right around the edge of the block, but if it is what you would prefer, it is doable. Also, if you were working with a block that was just 1/4" inch too small all around, you could center it on a piece of thin (think newsprint) paper cut to the correct block size, and pin or baste the block thoroughly to the paper. Then stitch the block into your quilt using the edge of the paper to match up with the edge of the adjacent block or sashing (and use a shorter stitch length, as for foundation paper piecing)--then tear the paper away. But if you truly only have 10" on one side, that isn't your best option. If after trying Cathy's method you still find it a little small, then this might work.

Libby in TN said...

Adding a frame is going to put too much bulk next to your final seam. I'd try dampening and blocking first. As a last resort, remove the corner triangles and rebuild them or replace with plain corners (which defeats the purpose of the block, I know).

Maker Joy said...

What wonderful inspiration.

I agree that adding such a small sashing to one of the blocks is going to add bulk and it may make this block look a little funky next to the rest of the blocks.

Since your block is only off by 1/4", you could fuss with the setting triangles, but if your triangles are high contrast, you'll notice the bluntish tips on the offset/fudged triangles.

How much are you planning to wash this quilt? I have no first hand experience with this but I've been warned by several knowledgeable quilters that if you block quilts/blocks then you need to be prepared to block them each time you wash them.

I realize that you don't want to redo the block, but redoing the corner pieces of the block, making them a little larger would be a simple, straight-forward option for moving forward on this project.

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Well I'm afraid I can't offer you any advice at all. You are far beyond what I can do! I think whatever you decide to do, it will look amazing! I agree that it is much more fun to start crafting in a clean space... there is something exhilarating in that! Wish you well on making a decision with this project! :)

Dianna said...

Oh how I wish I could help you, Denise. I am not a quilter...my mother-in-law could have given you good advice, but she's gone on to be with the Lord. Your square is beautiful. I love the colors!

Sarah said...

Hi there my dear! On your block problem, I would take off the 4 corners, sew a small border around the center, then reattach the corners. Can't wait to see what you decide to do!

Sarah said...

Short of un-stitching seams and restitching the block with a smaller seam allowance, I think a border would be a perfect solution. Can't wait to see your hexagon topper!

I really need to clean my studio...especially since I need to make a bunch of things for an upcoming sale. Maybe I can dig in this weekend after I go to the Table Topper Fest at a not-so-LQS. She has 68 items ranging from table runners to mugrugs and everything in between. I'm going to try to only become enamored with 2 or 3 things but we shall see...