Sunday, April 09, 2017

into art . . .

It was a different week.  One that mostly, I didn't chronicle with pictures, which is rather unusual for me.  Todd and I spoke about our multiple ministries, to the Women on Mission at Whitesburg Baptist. I really enjoy speaking to women's groups ... and this introvert knows it's really a God-thing! Tuesday evening we had an associational VBS team meeting. So it was a long day.  But Wednesday was an unexpected day off, due to the impending threat of severe weather, so there's that. Thursday was long just because it's the last day of my work week, and I had several things that needed to get finished (that I didn't get to work on Wednesday -- gotta pay the piper), and after work Thursday, I headed to the contractor's shop for whom I keep books ... it was tax prep night. The good news is that I *did* have time off and on to work on my hexie project . . .
I got the first flower completely whipped together; now I'm working on the second flower. That may need some Slow Sunday stitching!  :)

Needless to say, when Friday morning broke fair and pretty, I was anxious to get my craft on. My craft of quilting, that is. I've been wanting to do a mini that had palm fronds in it, ever since I saw this post on Debbie Kratovil's blog
But I got out in the Nook and decided I didn't want to foundation piece a frond. So I went back inside and google searched "palm frond template" hoping to come up with something I could maybe fuse.

That was when I got saw Julia Graber had a new blog post.  Have you ever visited her blog?  Life as a Quilter -- Julia Graber. She creates some beautiful quilts. Anyway, a look at this post and I realized that was kinda the *look* I wanted . . . only with a palm frond and the word, "Hosanna!".  Her prior post had loosely walked through the steps for creating this pretty thing, so I got busy! Mind you, this is definitely an art quilt and definitely out of my comfort zone and it was definitely a lot of FUN!
Tah-dah!  I'm so, so pleased with how this turned out! And I really enjoyed the process, which makes the finish all the sweeter!

Saturday I spent the day with Jocelyn, helping her prepare freezer meals for after the baby was born. We got over 35 meals put up!  It was a looooooong day, but well worth it.  
Less than two weeks before Baby E is due!  And I can say that because both the boy and girl names they've picked begins with E.  :)

Whew! Glad it's Sunday . . . a day of rest. A day of stitching. A happy day!

:)

21 left a comment . . .:

Libby in TN said...

Love your mini and the message! I did the paper-pieced palms way back when I didn't know any better. I made the stupid mistake of putting all the stems pointing toward the center. Talk about D-cup!

Shasta Matova said...

Your mini turned out really nicely. Love the background. So you cut all the squares and sashed them on point before adding the applique?

Shasta Matova said...

Thank you for the link to Julia's blog. Lots of fun things there!

Teri said...

Sunday Blessings! Hugs ♥ Teri

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice banner! A perfect project for this season! Have a great week.

Kate said...

A beautiful mini! Perfect for the holiday. Hope you get some slow stitching time in today.

Quilter Kathy said...

That's a lot of cooking and stitching you did!
Hope you can enjoy some relaxing stitching today!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great hexie project, that is one I have never gotten into. Your Hosanna quilt is lovely.

CathieJ said...

Your little quilt is beautiful. Thanks for the link. Boy, I need to make a whole bunch of meals for my elderly mother. That may be a project for my week off. That is a wonderful thing to do for an expectant mother.

Kathy S. said...

It's getting exciting for baby E! Love how organized all your stuff is! Wow.

AnnieO said...

Wow you did have a full week. Your mini was a quick finis, congrats! Your grandchildren are piling up in number, how wonderful.

Janet O. said...

I am glad to know that you weathered the storm! I was concerned about my friends in its path and praying for your safety!
What a wonderful little quilt. I have actually been wanting to make that foundation pieced palm frond block someday, but I love what you created!
Bless you for helping Jocelyn with all of those freezer meals. What a big job, but so smart to get prepared like that!

Frances Meredith said...

A lovely seasonal mini. Beautiful.

Sarah said...

You have been busy! Hope you enjoyed a restful Sunday.

Barbara said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I'll tell you it's given me an ear worm though. There was a song in that 70's rock musical "Jesus Christ, Superstar" that went Hey-sanna, Ho-sanna, Sanna, Sanna, Ho-sanna, Hey-sanna, Ho-Sanna....can't remember any more of the words, but the tun has been playing in my head all weekend ever since I saw your quilt. Thanks a heap!

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE the way your palm banner turned out. That is perfect. It sounds like it was a busy week for you.

Hasi said...

As a new Christian, I just learned something new at church about the people that sang "Hosanna, Hosanna". I learned that these were the same people that later in the week called out "Crucify, Crucify". I never knew this. As sad as this is, being a human I can utterly understand.

Blessings!

Hasi

Dianna said...

Denise, your Hosanna quilt piece turned out beautifully. And great job to you and your daughter for those 35 meals prepped for when the baby comes!

Creations By Cindy said...

You've got a great project going . I bet you are a wonderful speaker and the women love you . Happy Easter dear friend . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

You are amazing! The Hosanna project is incredible! I have no clue if you actually stitched everything, or if you fused it? It is gorgeous whatever you did! And glad that the storms passed by you with no troubles, sounds like a very busy week, with a speaking engagement, oh my! Hope you had a wonderful Sunday with some happy stitching. 35 meals in one day - wow! So exciting to have a new grandbaby on the way! May the Lord bless you and your husband as we celebrate our risen Savior! Hugs :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great mini quilt!