Thursday, January 17, 2013

don't laugh . . .

Yep.  Two posts in the same week.  Hard to believe, isn't it?!  LOL!!  Like I said -- feast or famine.  

It's sleeting rather steadily here today and so consequently there's early dismissal in progress for all the school systems in our area.  And so, consequently, our guild meeting for tonight is cancelled.  Pooh.  I was really looking forward to getting out with the quilty gals tonight.  Luckily our Stitcher's Group has a stitch-in on Saturday ... I'll count on making it there!

Sharon, over at Vrooman's Quilts, has a wealth of quilt blogger buttons on her blog.  I was perusing them this morning and found this one:
You'll notice I now have it on my blog, too.  It's a BOM based on the Scripture from Proverbs 25:11 -- Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances. 

The idea of Apples of Gold is very familiar and dear to me.  For a number of years, with a group of like-minded women/mentors, I participated in a ladies' Bible study from called Apples of Gold.  
When I saw that Val Laird had created a quilt for the verse, I knew it was a project I needed to take on!

I've also been playing in EQ, working on my January swap quilt.  I wanted it in blues (because that's what I associate with cold and winter and snow and ice -- I know, right?  why not white and grey and silver??!) and here's what I've come up with . . . 
I think in batiks.  Definitely.  I think.  More than likely.

I've also been playing around in EQ with hexagons.  It's not the easiest ... especially if you want an not-so-standard shape for your quilt.  So I'm just playing.
Sometimes EQ helps me put things into perspective.  In other words, it helps me take an idea that's bumping around in my brain and put it into a format that lets me know I do NOT want to waste any more time (and definitely NO fabric) on the project (which would be *both* of the above)!  Better an hour on the computer than wasting fabric!

I did find a site online that allows you to generate hexagon shapes of any size.  You put in your measurements and the size page you're going to print them on, and voila!  All you have to do is print and cut!  I've used it several times now, and print on heavy cardstock, so I can reuse the templates.  Easy peasy!  Incompetech is the site name -- and they have other shapes you can generate, too!

More hexie resources?  How about this one from CD Designs ... it calculates the number of hexies you'll need based on your input of quilt length, width and hexie size!  Smart, eh?  And Melanie, over a Texas Freckles, has some nifty options for quilting your hexagon project.  Or perhaps you're like me and always struggle with the thought of finishing your hexie quilt?  Amy over at Badskirt has some great ideas about that!

Of course, my favorite hexie person is the hexia-a-holic who got me hooked in the first place.  Sarah, of Sarah Did It! fame.  She's always got the most *beautiful* hexie projects going on ... definitely worth checking out.  And if you hop over there, wish her a big ol' happy birthday, too!!!  (And check out the HeLP linky party, too!)

Ummmm . . . now we've got sleet with lightning and *thunder*!  Yikes!  So I'll leave you with this image:
The girl *loves* her chili!

:)

16 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for the shout out - hey, I took a button down BUT added two more- LOL!! I love your little blue quilt - yes, snow, cold, brrrrr....... Be warm and safe.

Melinda said...

I just started trying to design hexie quilts in EQ7 but not doing well. I still need to learn how to use it better.

Kaisievic said...

Love the winter quilt design.

Barbara F. said...

The last photo is too much, so stinkin' cute, that Ellie Belly Jelly!!!!! You have been keeping busy, D., lots of projects. xo

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh I cracked up at that cute picture of Ellie!!! What a doll baby!!!

I've been guilty of spending inordinate hours on a pattern I see in a magazine or on the internet, picking out possible fabrics, etc., only to realize that even though I may love the pattern I really don't want to put in the fabric, time and work involved to make that particular quilt! Hexies are like that for me. I made a hand-pieced/quilted grandmother's flower garden years ago - that's quite enough hexies for me!

I'm saving the patterns for Apple of Gold - hoping to make it someday but I know this year is probably not the one :*) I saved last year's quilt by her too. She is sooooo talented! And she makes such lovely quilts with spritual meaning - hard to find anymore.

Linda in Calif. said...

Darling, she is just darling. I did a Val Laird before and LOVED it. You'll enjoy this one. The Word of God is so powerful.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So many things to do and not enough time except for sharon V....she's speedy.

Your baby knows the best way to eat....too cute!

Jean(ie) said...

Bwahahahaahhahahahaah! That pic of Ellie is a hoot! Love it! you all are brave feeding her chili ;-P

I hope the weather won't be too much of an inconvenience for ya. Stay warm and dry.

Kate said...

Looks like a great BOM. Looking forward to seeing that one come together.

Ellie looks like she's wearing more than she ate. I guess it's just that way with the little ones at that age. Sure is cute. (I can say that, I bet Mom wasn't thrilled with the clean up).

Janet O. said...

Oh, that Ellie--ever cute and entertaining!!
I love that little blue quilt. I need to make some things in those colors for January decor

Barbara said...

I'm going to collect the patterns for the Apples of Gold quilt and do it a little later. Can't take on a new embroidery project just now.

Love Bears All Things said...

Lovely to see someone enjoy their food so much....I have a similar photo of my Daughter chewing on a rib after she had gotten the sauce all over her face. She still loves ribs.
Mama Bear

Sarah said...

OMG - the girl does LOVE her chili!!!

I do not enjoy trying to design hexies in EQ7 - it's just not intuitive. I keep plunking away but I don't enjoy it so much :(

I bet you're the only person who's learned to hexie by text messages from a mountain top. I always get funny looks when I tell that story. LOL.

Maria Dolores Lopez Godoy said...

Is wonderful your blog and very beautiful, congratulations. Kisses from Spain.

http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

Sheila said...

I must check out Val's project I have done a few of her stitcheries in the past . That photo of the Ellie is darling , it must be some good chili ;-)

Mary said...

I haven't done much with Hexies. I've been tempted by Bonnie though...
Ellie looks like she's ready for a nap. Gotta save these for high school blackmail pics. Nice Swap Design. Hope the weather bright ends up, I'm tired of the drizzle and freezing fog.