Thursday, January 10, 2013

what's in a word . . .

Or in my case, a set of words.  I knew, as soon as I saw the call out for this particular hop, that I wanted to participate.   I love words!  Words are incredibly important to me.  But then I struggled for weeks trying to figure out what word/words I should use.

Duh.

It finally struck me.  The name of my blog.  Hello!  Count it *all* JOY!!!
For me, this became an exercise not in coming up with a quilty project, but an explanation of why those words are so important to me.  And they're important not just because of those four words ... but because of the thirty-two words that follow, too . . .
Count it all joy when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing.
 --James 1:2-4
This passage of scripture out of James has been my life verse ... but I selected it long before I understood the full implications of it.  At first I got all hung up on the joy part . . . 
Without paying attention to the "count it all" part.  
That's tough.  And it took me a while to realize that I didn't have to count the hard stuff as joyful stuff -- I didn't have to laugh and be merry in times of sorrow -- it meant that I was to count it a joy when that hard stuff caused me to lean on the Lord.  When it caused me to seek His strength, peace and comfort.  Because that's how He perfects me ... that's how He strengthens my faith.  And that's why I can Count it *all* JOY!!!

So, there you have it!!  Be sure to check out all the 'word' participants today . . . 
Jane's Fabrics (Jane R.)
Jane's Quilting (Jane C.)
Nuts 4 Redwork (Heide W.)
Bits and Pieces (Martha R.)
Life in Every Breath (Jennifer B.)
Quilting Lines (Patricia L.)
Meadowbrook  (Kristen K.)
Count It All Joy!  (Denise P.)**you are here!
Sophie Junction (Sophie W.)

And a big thank you to both Linda, from Buzzing and Bumbling -- our head cheerleader for this hop -- and Mdm Samm.  They've both done a *marvelous* job with this hop and it's been SUCH fun!!

:)

86 noted . . .:

Judy B said...

Love your words and what they mean! Thank you for sharing.

Amy said...

It is lovely, Denise! Your inspiration hit like mine did. Out of the blue!

Mara said...

Great verse, Did you make your Granddaughters chevron dress also, she looks so cute.

Kimberly Cassie @ Quilty Doodads said...

Great words! Thanks for the inspiration!

Barbara said...

Nice work, Denise. It makes me think of one of the tenets of the Amish faith...that all work is God's work, and therefore, it is all worth doing for the joy of serving the Lord.

Sunshine Girl said...

Great words and I love your finished project.

Nati said...

So cute and colourful, thanks for sharing!

Lavonna ZWB said...

Thank you so much for sharing. That has always been my favorite verse as well. :)

Many Blessings!

charlotte said...

Lovely job. Perfect choice for your words.

Britt-Inger said...

Wonderful words you have chosen and a lovely job. Thanks for sharing your happy and joyous work

Gill said...

Perfect!
Thank you!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Denise I love this - not only your beautiful little quilt but also your explanation and philosophy. blessings, marlene

Jeanie said...

I love this scripture and your thoughts behind it! Great job!

Quiltin' Jenny said...

What an inspiring lesson your words create. Thank you so much for sharing your project and your thoughts.

I will be adding this verse to my stash of "in tough times" mantras.

Madame Samm said...

ahhhh your colours, your words, sooooo YOU...I adore your wordy words, I always think of you if anyone says JOY...

Patty D from NC said...

great project and word. Thanks!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Funny how things bang us in the head! A wonderful project and thank you for sharing it and the meaning behind it.

Sowing Stitches said...

As I was reading your post...running through my brain quite loudly was the song...Joyful Joyful We Adore You....great start to the weekend!!!

JCnNC said...

I love the words - they so explain your wonderful blog name meaning - your faith and life. Thank you for sharing your beautiful words and project. Judy C

Cathy said...

This is really great. The fabric you used for your words is beautiful.

Kate said...

Delightful mini!

Thearica said...

Great words to live by!

Karma Willow Designs said...

sometimes the answer is in the last place you think to look -- right in front of you. Great job.

Neighbor Chick said...

Such an insightful post...and a very pretty project! Have a lovely day.

Neighbors About Town Blog

Martha said...

I love the story behind your blog title...one of my favorite songs in church is "Count Your Many Blessings". When I went in for my cancer surgery I took a scrapbook to look at as I lay in the hospital. In it was pictures and sayings that reminded daily why I needed to get home. That sony was on the first page. I had so many blessings the book was fat, fat, fat! Thank you for sharing this with us.

gpc said...

It is hard sometimes to wrap our minds around the blessings that are hidden in hardship, so it's good to keep that reminder in front of us! Beautiful work, as always! (loved your birthday post yesterday but was so busy 'hopping' that I didn't get a chance to comment, lol!)

Dee said...

Thank you not only for the beautiful project and word, but for the inspiration meaning behind the passage.

Barb said...

I had wondered why you had that name - thanks for sharing with us.

Missy Shay said...

I love your wall hanging, and you are all absolutely correct, the Lord does not promise everything to be hunky dory but wants us to lean on /him in the hard times.
Thank you for sharing!

Just Quilt It said...

Great words but so difficult at times to remember and follow. Thank you for a beautiful project.

sew.darn.quilt said...

A lovely verse indeed.

Scrapatches said...

this is joy ... thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

Agnes Bullock said...

Simply perfect.

Jean(ie) said...

PERFECT! That was the most perfect choice! Love it! Happy Friday.

Just Carol said...

I love the name of your blog and totally enjoyed reading about why you call it that. Your creation is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :O)

MooseStash Quilting said...

Beautiful words thru and thru! Great way to live life!

Linda said...

Well said, Denise! What a beautiful way to keep that verse in mind all day! Great job!!!

krislovesfabric said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful project today!

Kathy H said...

Great words and inspiration.

patchouli moon studio said...

Great quilt. Joy says it all.

Janet O. said...

Very well said, Denise. You are an inspiration!

SIMPLESEW said...

Love it, and those Cute Cute grandbabies. I love being a Gandma..

carla said...

Hi!!! Love it!!! Love your word and all it means!!!

Terry said...

They are great words! I love the material you used for the word Joy.

Nancy M. said...

You have a way with words. You described that verse so beautifully. Thank you. I will need to think of them often.

Tammy said...

Thank you sew much for shareing your word project with us today. It is such a joy to look at all these new projects each day.
conn_and_vans_mom(at)yahoo(dot)com

lefuntz said...

Words to live by. Without sorrow there would be no joy. I am glad my first visit to your blog came today. I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to the title otherwise.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

So very true.....love your words. Now I understand the name better....thanks for sharing your beautiful piece

Mary Ann said...

A muse sat upon your shoulder :-)

Farm Quilter said...

I had to share your quote from James with a friend, her mother is in end-stage with COPD (and she never smoked)...thankfully they lean on the Lord! It is all joy - I think of the hard parts as being pruned for my own good! Blessings :)

Abbigail said...

Beautiful words to live by! And a great job on this wallhanging!
hulseybg at gmail dot com

Amys Crafty Shenanigans said...

Words are wonderful. Great project for the hop :)

Mary said...

Perfect choice for your WORD post! You done great. It's the endurance that gets hard at times. Best to remember the JOY!

Martina said...

So true! And I love how you expressed this in your project. Very lovely!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

So creative and cute... great job! Now you can use it for a new blog header maybe?

Sheila said...

Wonderful words with a wonderful explanation !!

Jenny said...

thank you so much for sharing. Your project is beautiful, I love that verse too....leaning on the Lord through the hard times....that's true wisdom and ultimate joy. Thanks

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Good job. One of my friends family choose 'Joy' as the family word a long time ago.

Lyn said...

Thanks that is a wonderful wall hanging and so special to your site.

Hooked on Quilting said...

Love your words!!! So apropos!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Seeing that does make me feel all full of joy. Beautiful!

Robin said...

Great looking project. I will be thinking on you post I'm sure. Very timely for me.

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

thats just WUNDERBAR!
Thanks for sharing ☺
Liebe Grüße
Bente in Germany

Quilter Kathy said...

Thank you for the reminder! So true and so hard to remember!

evelyn said...

Thankyou for the story behind your "title". Great verse. Your little quilt is "joyful".

Verna G said...

A very good word! One we all need to think about

LJ said...

I loved hearing about where you got your blog name. Your project is so cute and I loved the flowery fabric you used for "JOY"!

sandra said...

Very beautiful project and I loved the words and the Bible verse that goes along with it, faith and joy have been very important in my life. Thanks for sharing. Blessings sandra

Gmama Jane said...

God's Words are always the best!
Blessings
Jane

Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy said...

Love it - absolutely beautiful, and very inspirational!

Sarah or Semmy said...

Such beautiful words! they are in my mind also everyday as I face the new day. ""The way you have presented it is wonderful. I also like the colors. Sarah

Darla said...

Good explanation. Similar to the verse about learning to be content. I believe that finding joy and contentment are one of the blessings we develop as we age.

Pierro said...

Rosemary B here:
This is just beautiful. LOVE the fabrics, superb idea
Thank you for sharing your creativity

Kate said...

Wonderful words. What a great message to see each time you post.

Pamela said...

Love your blog name and your project. I love the colors that you chose. Thanks for sharing.

Karrie S said...

Sweet project! Love your word choice, it's definitely one to live by ;)

Quiltsmiles said...

Thanks for sharing your words and project. I hope you counted seeing the West Side Story as a joy too besides those grandbabies, What cuties they are. Enjoy all your blessings. Jane

PatSloan said...

Beautiful post on why you love this... thank you for sharing! I hope you'll check out my daily blog.. my day is the last day

Pat Sloan
Radio show Host... The Voice of Quilting
http://blog.patsloan.com

JanesQuilting said...

Such a wonderful verse, your words are so true. Thank you for sharing with us all.

JanesQuilting said...

Such a wonderful verse, your words are so true. Thank you for sharing with us all.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

It's simply perfect. =) Well done...

CeLynn said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful project.

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Love the saying. Your project is lovely.

~Marica~ said...

Wonderful contribution to InYourWord's Bloghop!

Mrs.Pickles said...

lovely work thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

I hope you hung your quilt on the door to your studio!!!