Wednesday, January 30, 2013

m. i. a. . . .

One would think, for as broad the gap is between my posts, that I'm getting lots and lots done.  Ha.  Between doctor's appointments and dentist appointments and hair appointments and being sick (ongoing sinus issues--literally and figuratively, migraines and some stinkin' virus), I really haven't gotten a whole lot accomplished.  *sigh*  I feel like I've fallen and I can't get up.  LOL!  I need to re-group, get busy, take the bull by the horns, bite the bullet, take the plunge and buckle down.  I.e., get to WORK. I love euphemisms.     

I *did* receive my January swap quilt from Lynn:
Isn't it just the most darling little thing?!?  The Panter clan came over for a visit yesterday evening and Sawyer noted the snowman right away.  He was as charmed by it as I am!  *Thank you, Lynn!*

I finished the top of June's quilt . . .
I'm very pleased with how this turned out.  Kim is too, which makes me even happier!  I need to decide how to quilt it, now.  I'm thinking a loose meander ... all over the white, the pennants and the words.  In a white or invisible thread. Any thoughts?

A group of family (including myself) is participating in an 8-week weight challenge. You get daily points for logging your food, water intake, fruit and veggie intake, contact with another team member, and exercise.  Then at the end of the week, you total up those points and add 10 points per pound you've lost for cumulative points.  
At the end of eight weeks, there are two winners -- the one with the highest number of points and the one with the biggest weight loss. The competitiveness of the challenge makes it interesting -- especially since there are guys participating!  We've just finished week one, so Todd and I just finished week one of another round of South Beach, phase 1.  I celebrated by throwing up.  This has been my January!  On the bright side, my weigh in was a really good one.  Being sick has its advantages.  LOL!

A huge positive coming from the challenge is that I pulled out my walking DVDs and gave 'em a try.  I can do it!!  I have several of the Leslie Sansone DVDs and I was walking the 2 mile walks!
This is the DVD I'm working from right now -- hoping to work up to the three mile walk.  I can't do all the moves; for example, I learned the hard way that my right foot does NOT do side lunges any more, but now that I know that, I can compensate.  I'm just excited to be able to put points in the 'exercise' column! I'd like to eventually order her four mile power walk!  

Yesterday I went to my very first embroiderer's guild meeting. The Huntsville, Alabama chapter of The Embroiderers' Guild of America, Inc. It wasn't actually the meeting, but an instructional meet, where they work on a 'petite project'.  I went with a friend from quilt guild and luckily there was an extra kit prepared, so I got to play.  
This was the finished project.  Isn't it a darling little hedgehog?  The apple is a floss-wrapped bead.  Too cute!
Mine is still in the early stages, as you can see.  The most fascinating part was learning this new stitch, a bullion knot.  It took a couple of tries but I finally got the hang of it.  Fun stuff!  If you're interested in the stitch, Mary Corbet does a nice job of explaining and demonstrating it, on her site, Needle 'n Thread.

I took this picture yesterday, too.
I'd like to take this opportunity to remind mother nature that it's still January. We had our doors and windows open yesterday (into the late night hours) too. Crazy, isn't it? I understand cold weather is on its way.  Ah, the roller coaster ride of weather in North Alabama.  :)

My stash hasn't changed a bit since I last reported ... which was far too long ago. That is, it hadn't changed.  Todd just brought in the mail and look what it contained:
Darling Kate, from Life In Pieces, sent me this fun yardage (five, to be exact) of Buzz Lightyear fabric!!  Isn't it precious?!  She knew I had a raving Buzz Lightyear fan in my family and thought I could put it to good use.  I'll say -- I see several projects from this!  Immediately I though (1) cape, (2) applique pieces for a quilt, and (3) pillow case.  To infinity and beyond!! 

I've been doing a lot of reading.  A LOT of reading. Expect several book reviews coming up in the next week ... especially Declutter Now! by Lindon and Sherry Gareis.  It's been a fabulous read and I can't wait to share with you about it.  I've had several e-conversations with Sherry and she's such a great person!  Yup -- if decluttering is one of those things you 'resolved' (or, if like me, you made goals instead of resolutions) to do in 2013, you definitely want to check out the review (especially since Sherry offered to send a copy of the book to not one, but TWO of my followers)!

That's it for now.  My hair is cut, my teeth are clean and sparkly, my health is getting back on track and so am I.  Whew.  This is hard work, y'all!

:)

23 noted . . .:

Jean(ie) said...

Hugs... I love that little hedgehog! It is sew darn cute! I head to my small group tomorrow and I'm hoping to get some good handwork in on my millefiore project. That is, if my hands decide to cooperate. They have been fighting me lately :-(

That snowman quilt matches your home -- spot on!

Mary said...

Sorry you've been sick. Feel better and stitch away! That is a cute stitchery. The pennant quilt looks great too. I'd go for the Pillowcase, easy and a quick satisfaction when it is given, think of the grin on that chubby cheeked boy!!

Kate said...

Wow that was fast, the PO said Saturday at the earliest. Glad to see it go to good use.

Love the snowman. Very cute.

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather. Hope you are all recovered and have senn the last of that stuff for awhile.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The stitchery is cute, cute, cute! Love the Buzzlight year and can see that little face lite right up. Oh, do take care - that nasty bug can come back and bite ya - I still have days it rears it's head - yuck! Take little baby steps, and ya will be back with us.

StitchinByTheLake said...

That hedgehog is just darling! I'm kind of on your wavelength Denise - work is overwhelming, I've had dentist appointments, doctor appointments, medical tests, more on my plate than I need. But things will get better soon I'm sure - for both of us! blessings, marlene

Lee said...

I am SO happy to see you back to posting - even if it isn't every day! Sorry you've been ill too and pray all that is behind you now! Looking at your bullion knot reminds me that I have a Brazilian Embroidery kit stashed away that I'd like to get started on, and another embroidery project as well. Never enough time - but then, I might have more if I stayed OFF the computer, lol. Love daffodils - my favorite flower or at least tied with carnations! My paperwhites have come and gone, so daffs will be soon. Welcome back!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I really like the snowman quilt

Janet O. said...

That little snowman quilt is darling!
And June's quilt turned out so cute.
I've wondered about those walking DVDs. I walk in the Spring/Summer/Fall outdoors, but in winter there is nowhere to go when a car comes, since there are no sidewalks and the snow takes up the almost nonexistent shoulder on the road. Are you just walking in place? You mention lunges--are there things like that throughout the "walk"?
Love Buzz Lightyear--that fabric should cheer any fan! : )
Hope you get feeling back up to speed soon, Denise!

Doniene said...

Seems like it is "feast or famine" for me on reading and commenting on some of my favorite blogs!!! Wow where does the time go????!!! Glad you are feeling better - it is always a "stretch" to be under the weather!!
The little snowman is cute!!! What a sweet swap partner!!
Well, best get back to work! I'm machine quilting a lap quilt - just needed a "rest" for a few minutes!!

Blessings!

Melissa Bishop said...

Here you are! Oh, no. Daffodils! We are having confused weather here too. I hope they do not die completely when the cold weather we're having comes your way. So nice to see you post.

Ranch Wife said...

I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling ill, but happy to hear that you are on the mend! Doesn't sound as if you did much resting though! Goodness, I need a nap after reading about your week! I may need to look into those DVDs. The way the wind has been blowing here lately, walking is hazardous to your health although you would get quite a workout fighting it.

Quilt Hollow said...

Popping in real quick...I hope you feel good today!

Sarah said...

Your being MIA means I'm only a little behind on your blog!! I "need" to blog just about every day to keep myself on schedule - I let it be random before and I just never got to it. Of course, daily blogging means daily comment replies and that gets me too so it's kind of a rock and a hard place.

The EGofA is perfect for you and that project is just darling. Can't beleive the daffys are out already. What will happen when it gets cold again? I think our thaws have been so short that it won't happen here but one never knows...

Missy Shay said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! I'm just getting over being sick too!

Teresa in Music City said...

So good to see your post in my reader today!!! Miss you dear friend :*) I wish I could say I have been as good about watching my weight and exercise, but that's on the agenda for "SOON". I just love June's quilt!!! If Nikki's baby is a girl, I'm going to recommend this as a potential quilt for the sweet little one :*)

Jocelyn said...

That hedgehog is totes adorbs! Love the Buzz fabric, too-- I think a cape would be awesome!

Needled Mom said...

That little hedgehog is precious!

Way to go on your challenge. I hope you win!

Grammasheri said...

I'm glad you are on the mend Denise! Its been that kind of January for me, too...starting back at Christmas actually. Am still in the thick of catch-up doc appts (and dentists and scans and M-grams and other tests) but getting through them feels like an accomplishment. The other things will have to wait their turn! Now if I can just get over the crankies. I wonder if there is a non-addictive pill for that! :)
Lifts my spirits to see your pretty needlework and read about your plans. Thank you for the inspiration! Continue to get well...we're pullin' for ya.

Jan said...

A fresh hair cut, sparkly teeth and your health? Add to that, Buzz Lightyear fabric?

Count it all Joy!

God bless you,
Jan

Anna Maria said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Anna @ sewa mobil jakarta

Sherry - Action Plan Ministries said...

I love reading your blog. Feels as though we are sitting across from each other having a conversation. Well, since we have never done that, it’s at least what I IMAGINE it would be like! LOL!

So sorry to hear that you’ve been sick. There is SO MUCH nasty stuff going around. Praying that you are on the mend and feel better QUICK!

Thank you SO much for the plug…and the sweet love. Delighted you are enjoying the book. We LOVE giving away free copies, so eager for the opportunity!

Blessings to you and we’ll ‘talk’ soon.

Sherry

Barb said...

My goodness you have been busy amidst your sickliness. Hope you are feeling back to par, and stick with that weight-loss challenge. What a neat idea for your family!

BudandMarsha said...

You do great embroidery, and I love the hedgehog. Aren't you lucky to be close enough to that embroidery society meeting!
Our family does a weight challenge each year and it's been fun and healthful for family members. I need to get out my Leslie Sassone walking tapes and start using them! Can't blame Leslie if they don't work inside their boxes, can I.