Tuesday, January 15, 2013

feast or famine . . .

That's how my blogging consistency (or rather, lack thereof) strikes me right now . . . feast or famine; all or nothing; hot or cold.  Somewhere in there I'm hoping I'll eventually find a good balance to it all!  Or maybe I won't find balance at all and will just continue to run hither and yon . . . and still have my Christmas tree up this time next month. 
Todd suggested that we have a year-round tree.  The colored lights make me so happy!  I'm considering the idea.  

To my defense, the past weekend was super busy ... Todd and I held our ministry's fifth annual board meeting on Friday.  I have a lot of prep and setup work beforehand, and then I take the minutes and run the power point and set out lunch ... so it was a busy, albeit productive, day!  The meeting went well and we had a lot of great input from our board members.  With Todd looking at retirement (the Chief came down to his station to give him his pin for 25 years of service last week) from the fire department and going full time into ministry, there are lots of things to consider and decisions to make.

Saturday was Ellie's big tea party!  Oh what fun it was -- and Jocelyn did a magnificent job with the food and decorations.  A very *sweet* celebration!
She loves her dolly!
So precious!
The expression on her face here is simply *priceless*!!  
My favorite picture of the whole day!
Sawyer (and his buddy, Luke) watching the present-opening from a better vantage point!
Pretty Baby June, all dressed up for her first tea party!
And we had family in town for the festivities ... so that's kept me busy, too. Happily busy having dinner with the group on Sunday and Monday and all that marvelous time with all three grandbabies (and their mommies and daddies, of course)!  Wonderful, busy and exhausting ... but mainly wonderful!  

My darling friend Ronda, from church, brought me this awesome book . . . 
She's not just a fellow quilter, she also blogs at Ronda Quilts, and we're Pinterest buddies as well.  She'd seen my "Who's Got the Button" board and knew my affinity for buttons, so when she saw this book on Paper Back Swap, she thought of me!  Isn't that sweet?  It's filled with incredible buttons and button crafts! Whoohoo!

So I'm a little late on my stash report.  I didn't purchase or add any fabric in the past week, though I did use a little.  Once again, positive baby steps!

Used/donated this week: 0.55 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 0.75 yards
Purchased/added this week: 0.0 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 16.75 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -16.0 yards


I've got June's quilt on the ironing board this week ... and I hope to work up my 6" crazy quilt block before the week is over.  
I've checked one thing off my 'Get 'er Done' list so far -- and working on the second.  So progress is being made!  And I'll go ahead and link up to both the Weekly Stash Report and the Design Wall Monday posts over at Patchwork Times.

Thursday night is our guild meeting night.  It's also the deadline for guild members to submit quilts for consideration in an exhibit our Huntsville Museum of Art is holding from April through August.  They are jurying in 40 quilts to display for five months.  This will be fabulous publicity for the guild and for our bi-annual quilt show, which is in October.  I've submitted seven pieces for consideration -- I hope one of them gets selected!

It's rained here for seven days straight now.  Our temperatures have gone from one extreme to the other (rather like my blogging).  On Saturday it got up to 73 ... now we have lows below freezing.  Aye yi yi ... our weather radio intermittently goes off with flash flood warnings and winter weather advisories.  What's a girl to do?  Quilt, of course!

And finally . . . before I forget (again!!) . . . I have a WINNER from my 1000 post/Happy New Year giveaway!!  Congratulations go to . . . 
Yay, Missy!!  

I feel like there are a gazillion other things I should share ... but for the life of me, I can't think of a single other thing.  Except that I'm going for my first bone density scan tomorrow morning.  Ah the joys of life over fifty! 

:)

18 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Grand babies and family first and aren't they all just wonderful!! Sweet tea party.

Jean(ie) said...

Yay Missy!

I love First birthday parties... the photos of babies with cake all over. She looked pretty tame.

Looks like June is coming along well. Poor Sawyer banished to the stairwell... Boo!

I heard the weather was crazy. Right now we have a temperature inversion. It's colder here in the lowlands than it is in the mountains!

Grammasheri said...

Happy birthday Ellie! Sawyer didn't look too left out...he had a smile on his face. Baby June is growing by leaps and bounds. Such sweet grands!

Kate said...

Happy Birthday to Ellie! Looks like she had a great party. June's quilt looks great. You've had a busy week with all the sewing and a board meeting. Hope next week is a bit quieter.

Missy Shay said...

Thank you! My uncle passed away last night and I'm heading out of town, so my email checking may be spotting. I loved your pictures!
You'll have to share pictures of the quilts you submitted!
What kind of ministry is your husband wanting to do?

Barbara F. said...

Ellie's birthday tea looks so pretty. I am sure everyone had a great time. This year certainly flew by, didn't it? Your tree looks adorable, too, I'd leave it up and decorate for each holiday. xo

Terry said...

Well you certainly do have a lot on your plate! Looks like Ellie had a great tea party, grand babies are wonderful. Don't tire yourself out.

LuAnn said...

What beautiful grandchildren, and I love the idea of a birthday tea party. I still have 2 trees up, and I think as long as we have grandchildren it's ok. At least that sounds like a good excuse!

Kris said...

Great post, Neesy!! And what a fun, fun birthday party!! I especially liked the banner with pictures across the fireplace!!

Janet O. said...

I was so excited to see the Christmas Tree in your post. I have actually left my 2 ft. Tree up on a table in my sewing room. It makes me happy!
What a lovely little tea party. I love one-year-olds with birthday cakes. So fun!
I'll take your temps--you are below freezing, we are below zero. Thirteen below last night--18 below Sunday night. Brrrr!

Barbara said...

It looks like Ellie enjoyed her party!

Lyndsey said...

Wow, what a busy but wonderful time you've had recently. No wonder you haven't blogged but great to read all your news now. Ellie's birthday party looks lovely, the decorations are so pretty and she is such a beautiful girl. I have my fingers crossed that one of your quilts gets picked for display. Finally with weather like you're getting I think staying in and quilting is definitely the way to go.The weather in London has been very wet so I'm getting as much 'me time' with my sewing machine as I can.

Vanessa said...

What a fun party. I just love the banner. Lovely! Have a great week.

Hugs,

Vanessa

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats Missy! She is a fellow machine collector. I only blog when I get around to it. I don't let it stress me out. It's supposed to be fun, not a job. My mother and new step-father have a 'fall' tree. When Christmas rolled around, they just changed out the ornaments. They also leave the lights on the tree when they take it down (mom's tree just breaks into 2 parts). They store it out in the shed, so, they have enough room. PS: There have been years when the tree didn't come down until Superbowl weekend. Oops!

Cathy said...

I love that one picture of Ellie. It reminds me of that television program that had the kid who would get a look on his face very similar to that and then ask "what you talkin' about, Willis?" She is so sweet, and such a joy to look at all the pictures celebrating her life. I haven't been blogging much lately, either. Sometimes life gets in the way, and those that know us and love us will understand.

Agnes Bullock said...

Where did that year go?

Ellie is certainly a beautiful little girl-

Mary said...

Sorry, I missed seeing this post sooner, been busy with FAMILY too. Happy Belated to Ellie! Such cutie grandchildren you have. Love the chubby cheeks.

Sarah said...

I'll admit the tree is still up at my house. It really needs to come down but with my recent funk, it was easier to just look at all my bird ornaments. This weekend is it tho!

I would like to make another light garland to hang across the double wide door frame between living and dining rooms as I also love the light effect. Why I made the first in homespun fabrics is beyond me as I don't use or decorate in that style. This one will be COLORFUL!!!