Sunday, January 06, 2013

the longest post ever . . .

And I'm not even *joking*!  You'll see.  I finally realized that what happens when I go more than a day without posting, all the things I want to share build up bigger and bigger until all of a sudden, it's a post-a-palooza!  [snicker]

It's been a great week.  I didn't completely cut out blog reading, but I did cut back, and I also broke the comments down on my giveaway post and answered them in manageable bites.  That giveaway is still open, by the way ... so feel free to jump over there and get in while the getting's good!

I put into play some of the items on my *list* of goals for 2013.  Back in 2011, I wrote a series of posts on Time Management -- four, actually -- here, here, here, and here.  I decided to put into practice (again) what I'd preached!   To take liberties ... blogger, heal thyself.  To that end,  A Holy Experience had a darling document for planning out your day.  It had all the components on it that were important to me ... domestic stuff, daily chores, have-to-do (or as she notates it, "The Day's Dire"), food/water, etc.  It's very nicely laid out.  You can get you own HERE.
Put that along with my 2013 planner (a very cheap and scaled down version from last year's), and my days are a little more organized and focused, and things are getting done!

I'm also participating in the Siesta 2013 Scripture memorization.  My dear friend Melissa, from The High Altitude Tea Duchess, put out a call to anyone interested in joining her in the challenge.  I've watched it for the past two years (over at the Living Proof Ministries blog) but never participated.  I decided to join Melissa (and from what I've been able to gauge, at least 5,000 others) and memorize some Scripture this year!  Two a month -- nothing huge -- and you choose your own passages.
To that end, I got a cute little spiral book to record my Scriptures.  Sometimes fun little things like this help keep me on track!

Another of my goals (I think I mentioned in my New Year's Day post that the list was quite extensive) was to read through the Bible in chronological order.  And in order to really make it mean something, I wanted to not just read, but to jot down any thoughts, questions or revelations I had about the day's reading.
Read the Bible in One Year has an assortment of reading plans in different translations.  I copied it to a pdf and sent it to my Kindle, so I can easily keep up with where I'm supposed to be each day.

I've also had plenty of time for crafty, quilty things.  Joc and I played with her Silhouette -- it cuts fabric!  
She cut out some letters for me and then she cut out the means to make this darling little onesie for Ellie.
This will be her 'smash cake' outfit!  Isn't it darling?!?

She also used her fancy machine to make the paper flowers for this wreath . . .
When it's finished, there will be a little pendant banner that reads, "Time for Tea" in the middle.  She'll hang this on her front door on the day of Ellie's party. Sweet, non??!  Such a crafty girl!

Joc also let me borrow her mod podge.
I had an ugly, plain old clipboard to keep my daily list and I wanted something pretty . . . 
A (really, really, REALLY) pretty piece of fabric and some mod podge later, voila!

Of course, there's been time for grandbabies, too . . .
Oh how I adore my sweet little grandbabies!  Yes, that's my son piled up in there between Sawyer and June.  What a crowd!

And then there's *always* time for fabric, right?  I've made a very bold statement on this, the first stash report of the year, that's for sure.  One of our LQS's had a major sale on New Year's Day.  Who could resist?
This was all BOGO fabric.  So two yards for the price of one ... ten yards, right off the bat.
This was all heavily discounted fabric.  One yard each, coming up!
And I couldn't pass up this darling Christmas panel and coordinating yard from Timeless Treasures!  Two more yards.
And then, for good measure, a handful of purple fat quarters and some new tools!

Used/donated this week: 0.25 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 0.25 yards
Purchased/added this week: 16.75 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 16.75 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -16.5 yards

Oh well.  :)

I really enjoyed the NewFO Challenge in 2012, held by Barbara over at Cat Patches and I'm so glad she's decided to continue the challenge in 2013! December wasn't the busiest of months, but I did have two NewFOs ... first there was my doll swap quilt, the Christmas Shoo Fly . . .
And then there was Ellie's stocking . . .
I shared that stocking in Patricia's Christmas Stocking Hang Out linky party, over at Quilting Lines, and was rewarded with this darling little Daddy Longstockings pattern for participating:
Aren't these cute?  I especially like the one with holly traveling down the front!

And I've had time to start a few new things, too.  One is an all stitching project and the second is a combination of applique and stitching . . . 
And I'm only showing you pieces because I hope to have them *both* finished for the In Your Words blog hop, which starts MONDAY!  As in TOMORROW!
My day is Friday, January 11, so these two pieces are both my Slow Sunday Stitching and my design wall, too!  

Speaking of design walls (and hence Patchwork Times), I was a complete *bust* at the UFO challenge.  But this year, instead of tackling an entire project each month, Judy's tossing out a monthly challenge called "Get it Done," or in good ol' Alabamian terms, Get 'er done.  The idea is to set a goal of four quilting-related things you want to accomplish for each month.  That's so much more manageable for me!  

For January, my Get 'er Done list is:  (1) finish my two "words" projects, (2) complete a 6" crazy quilt block (for the CQJP Challenge), (3) my January doll quilt swap, and (4) get June's quilt top finished.  Whew! This is *so* do-able!

I think I see that letting an entire five days pass between posts isn't the best of ideas.  LOL!  I end up being wordy-wordsmith and taking three hours to write a post and get in everything I want to share, in!  I won't let it go quite so long next time.  In the meantime, enjoy your Sunday (and Monday and Tuesday) and your stitching, whatever it may entail!


:)

26 noted . . .:

scraphappy said...

Looks like you have a busy year ahead. Enjoy your slow stinging today.

Kate said...

Whew, what a week! It does sound a lot more impressive when you put it all in one post (LOL).

The little onesie is really cute. Love all your new fabrics. I also bought a bit of that fabric you used on your clipboard for my stash back in November. I really love your new purple fabrics too.

Cathy said...

Ramble away Denise!!! Your enthusiasm has almost motivated me! LOL I have been in a slump for months....and I would love to come out of my slump / aka funk, and sew something. My youngest daughter has a goal of sewing 20 quilts for the LORD this year.

I enjoyed reading everything~ Hope you now can keep it all up, including memorizing those scriptures. I too am reading through the Bible...but my goal has been for 2 months, but since I highlight and underline and make notes on everything it might be 4 months. We'll see, but I'm loving it. Even got to use a little of my newest information at church last night.

♥♥♥

Melissa Bishop said...

1. Thank you SO much for mentioning me on your blog.
2. You HAVE been busy! lol
3. I am going to have to check out the daily planners you recommended. I could always use some help organising.
4. I'm glad to see you will be posting more often. I may not always leave a comment but I lurk. lol

Needled Mom said...

It sounds as though your time has been well managed in the five days.

I love the pics of the grandbabies.

Dee Dee said...

BOGO is a great deal for fabric - I like the assortment of items you got. I am going to check out the links you shared, and maybe I will be able to accomplish more with my days. Thanks for sharing everything.

WyoPat said...

Very nice fabric additions--who can resist beautiful fabric that is on sale?!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I loved the long visit! All those planners/plans - so organized. But sounds like you have things well in hand so you can enjoy your days.

Cathy said...

I found a website earlier this year that also has various daily bible reading plans. I've been doing the chronological one since July. I have it here, on my computer, and it has become part of my morning reading time. I have found it so helpful to read it as the events happened, rather than jumping from one time of history to another. I have been thinking for quite some time of adding writing a journal to me reading to keep track of what a passage says to me. I need to get a weekly planner, too. Maybe reading your post will inspire me to actually do it.

Quilter Kathy said...

You are one heck of a busy bee over there! Hope you enjoy some slow stitching today! Thanks for linking up!

Lee D said...

and now we have so much to comment back, hee hee
Love the fabrics, love the grand babies pictures, curious what you are stitching up, doll swap quilt and stocking are adorable. Reading the entire Bible is challenging, good luck and enjoy. Now I am off to work on my oldest UFO!

Jean(ie) said...

I'm looking at your fabric buy and thinking about what I just ordered yesterday. (tee hee!) I found a site that had my Kaffe and Marcia Derse faves on sale. stocked up BIG time at those prices. In fact, I told hubby not to panic when he saw my box. LOL!

Glad to see that June is over the RSV...

Donna said...

You have so much going it makes my head spin! Never thought of using modge podge like that....thanks for the idea.

Quiet Quilter said...

Sounds as if you are organized and ready to go. More quiet time makes for more productive time..

Ranch Wife said...

I think you just accomplished at least a month's worth of stuff in those 5 days! Do you ever sleep? I'm thinking that your darling girl has your creative genes - y'all have some much fun creating wonderful projects together!

Momof3girls said...

I love the form!!!! Is there anymore like it?

My favorite picture is Ellie and Leia. I love Leia's face!

June is growing so fast. She is so precious. It's hard to believe that Ellie is 1. That year went by fast.

Happy sewing! I did miss your posts so much. Glad you will be back a little more. :)

Barbara said...

Wow! Busy lady! I love the expression on the cat's face in that picture. "Really? You're subjecting me to this?"

Mary said...

That's a Lot to post about in 5 days. Love the Onesie, the Fabrics finds and the picture of your son with Sawyer and June under the Dino quilt. Have a great week. Twice a week postings are my goal, instead of every day or so...

Beth Probasco said...

Loved your post. It may even inspire me to be more productive!! LOL I enjoyed reading about everything.

Agnes Bullock said...

My Christmas present this year is going to be fabulous- how did you knwo that I love cardinals?

BTW- signed up to do the bible reading in a year- thank you for linking to that!

LuAnn said...

You've been busy but are taking time to enjoy things, too. Looks like you will have a productive year.

Janet O. said...

Reading the Bible in a year is quite an undertaking. I've never done it that fast. I think three years is my record.
So much good stuff here, Denise. You know now why my posts are so long--I don't post very often. : )

Teresa in Music City said...

Okay - so I'm out of breath!!! You funny girl :*) Loved your post and seeing all the fun things you are up to... and of course I LOVED seeing all the pretty fabrics and tools you brought home, and at good prices too! You're not only funny, you're smart too :*D

Mary said...

Your covered a lot of ground in this post and it's all good. Love the new fabrics.

Karen said...

Ellie's onesie is adorable! I always marvel at both your and Joc's creative abilities. I cannot mode podge if my life depended on it. Well, maybe I could. Okay, if I ever get to the point where my life depends on modge podge, I will call one or both of you! lol

Sarah said...

Holy Cow Girlfriend!! You certainly have been busy and up to lots of exciting activities. I havne't set big goals for the year (partly cuz I can never keep it up) but I've set up a few smaller ones and we shall see how it goes...