Thursday, January 10, 2013

happy birthday . . .

. . . to Eleanor Pearl!

I can hardly believe that Ellie's one . . . where did the year go?
We're celebrating her birthday with a special tea party on Saturday -- I can't wait!  Jocelyn had seen a pattern for a baby doll ... she wanted to make Ellie's first baby doll ... so she bought the pattern and the materials and on Monday she set about making Ellie her dear little dolly . . . 
Isn't she darling?  I helped stitch the face -- we chose a variegated blue/green/brown for the eyes, because Ellie's eye color changes with the hour.  My recent redwork lesson on satin stitches was a great asset -- the eyes and the nose were both stitched that way!  It's a really cute pattern -- I see more of these in our family's future!

This morning I'll be joining with the choir at Flint River Baptist Church to sing tribute to Brother Carl Tate -- he was one of the most wonderful Christian men I've ever met.  He passed away on Monday -- he was ninety-four.
He was a visitor to the camp on multiple occasions (and is pictured here singing at the pavilion for our Jamboree in 2011) - in fact, his wife, Evelyn, was the clerk for the Madison Baptist Association and was commissioned at the camp.  It will be an honor to sing for him -- especially this song -- his song -- I Sing Because.   While he will truly be missed here on earth, I know his voice is a joyful addition to the heavenly choruses!

Speaking of choruses of Hallelujah, Monday night brought lots of happy shouts of joy from this household . . .
Roll Tide!!  It wasn't nearly the game I'd expected it to be, but I can't say I'm disappointed!  

And finally -- please do come back tomorrow ... it'll be my day for the In Your Words hop -- and I'm totally loving my project!!

:)

22 noted . . .:

Momof3girls said...

Happy Birthday Ellie!!!!!

Lee D said...

Happy Birthday Ellie. Your dolly is adorable. Hav fun at the tea party

Love Bears All Things said...

I can't believe its been a year, either. Love the doll. Cute sign.
Mama Bear

Melissa Bishop said...

Satin stitch by hand is so hard for me. My mom is very talented at embroidery. I still have my raggedy Anne, made for me when I was a child, and touched by the hands of every important woman in my life at that time. My mom, her mom and her sisters, all four of them.
I saw a black raggedy Ann the other day and even it evoked those warm, happy feelings. First dollies are special dollies!

Terry said...

What a cute little doll for Ellie. Can't wait to see your project.

Barbara F. said...

The year did fly by, Denise, and happy first birthday to Ellie. Her first doll is adorable, and I'm sure she will treasure it always. xo

Ranch Wife said...

Wishing a year overflowing with blessings for the Birthday girl! What a precious, gorgeous child! A tea party and sweet baby doll sound like the perfect way to kick off the celebration!
What a sweet way to celebrate Mr. Tate's life! I know your song will be a beautiful addition to his tribute!
Also celebrating your boys' victory Monday night! Lots to celebrate!

Janet O. said...

Darling little dolly for a darling little doll!
Sounds to me like Heaven has welcomed home another worthy warrior.
Wasn't much of a game? Wasn't even a game, is more like it. We were watching with my parents and went home after the third quarter. We were expecting a little more (understatement) of a competition than we were seeing. : )

Teresa in Music City said...

What a beautiful little birthday girl!!! Happy Birthday Ellie!!! And that doll is almost as cute as Ellie herself :*)

Paula said...

An adorable doll! To Miss Ellie..
............•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•...................
Wishing You the HAPPIEST of Birthdays
✿•*¨`*•. (¯`v´¯) (¯`v´¯) .•*¨`*•✿
. . ✿•*¨`*•.¸(¯`v´¯)¸.•´*¨`*•✿ . .
..…………....♥ •.¸.•´♥..…
……….............


Hugs

Neighbor Chick said...

Oh what a sweetie Ellie is! And she will surely love her new dolly...stitched with so much love.

Sorry to hear about the passing of Carl Tate. I can tell many people loved him.

Will check back tomorrow!!

Neighbors About Town Blog

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh my that went fast - Happy 1st B'day to such a sweetie pie!!

AnnieO said...

Darling doll for your darling Ellie! She's such a cutie. Yes, the year went awfully fast :) Happy Happy Birthday!

Jean(ie) said...

Gosh, has it been a year? Gg will be 2 on Feb 1st. Time is flying by. Love the dolly. That is just too cute. I hope you sang your heart out for your friend. It's good for the soul.

Jean(ie) said...

Gosh, has it been a year? Gg will be 2 on Feb 1st. Time is flying by. Love the dolly. That is just too cute. I hope you sang your heart out for your friend. It's good for the soul.

Mary said...

When Alabama won and my DH came out to tell me I said I know an Alabama lady who is Happy tonight... Ellie has grown up before our eyes. What a beautiful girl she is. Did she NOT get a dolly for Christmas?? Happy Birthday to Ellie!

Kate said...

Happy 1st Birthday to Elle!

We aren't football fans in this house (please don't hate me), but it's been fun to listen to all the talk about the bowl games. Glad you had cause to celebrate!

Michelle May said...

Ellie you and your dolly are just as darling as can be. Happy birthday wee one.

Karen O said...

So this means I have been reading your blog for a year! And guess what, my little great niece was born today. :)

Lee said...

Happy Birthday Miss Ellie! The year has passed so quickly. Enjoy celebrating on Sat :)

Katherines Corner said...

happy birthday sweet Ellie! Thank you for sharing at the hop xo

Sarah said...

Did you guys make a flip book out of Ellie's pictures? It would be so adorable. Happy (belated) Birthday Miss E!!!