Tuesday, August 06, 2013

a blast to the stash . . .

I'm still struggling to catch up my life to the blog!  I get one post up and fall behind two!  LOL!  I can't complain ... I'm loving *and* living life, right??!

I figured that since every inch of fabric that I added to my stash in July was purchased in a single day, this was the perfect time time talk about it.  I've heard friends (both local and blogging) talk about "Assembly Day" for several years now, but because I wasn't a member of the Tennessee Valley Quilting Association (either as a member-at-large or through my Huntsville guild, which doesn't belong), I've never been able to go.  I thought about joining up as an at-large member just so I *could* go this year, but then saw that the dates to make reservations had long passed.  I mentioned that to darling Teresa, of A Quilt and A Prayer, who had said she was going to be there, and guess what??!  I ended up being able to get a place where someone in her group wasn't able to go!  So I lickety-split sent in my TVQA registration and headed for my first ever Assembly Day!
We got there early and picked up our programs and 'favors'.
Isn't this little bag with the matching finger pin cushion, cute?  Then we grabbed some seats, as close to the front as possible.  
The emcees were quite hilarious!

One of the main reasons I wanted to go was to see the day's speaker -- Edyta Sitar, of Laundry Basket Quilts.  Oh gracious, she was marvelous!  Probably one of the best speakers I've ever heard.  She's an incredibly gifted storyteller -- full of humor.  She shared with us close to (if not more than) a hundred quilts!  The woman is a quilting MACHINE!  I tried to get a picture of every quilt she shared, but even though we were sitting relatively close, my camera (or phone -- I can't remember which I was taking pics with) wasn't quite up to the job.  Plus her husband, who was her "quilt holding assistant," would not stay still!  LOL! Anyway, here's a random sampling . . . 
Aren't they lovely?  I wish I had the time to share the story behind each one!  If you ever have the opportunity to hear Edyta speak, JUMP on it!  Truly, I laughed and cried with her.  This woman can work a tale!

Another of the reasons I wanted to attend was the vendors!  There were close to a dozen different vendors present, all with some fun stuff.  I picked up this darling panel at one...
Basically because of this sample piece they had hanging...
I know, right??!  I loved the mini lights they had attached to it!!

And I picked up a few assorted fat quarters at another...

And at Edyta's 'booth' I picked up a bit--ahem--quite a lot.  Like her book, and a sweet *pumpkin* (what else?!) pattern and three of her new silhouette patterns -- which have the precut fabrics (all adhesive-ready and everything). All you do is arrange, press, and then quilt as desired! I thought it would be fun to try!  
I also fell in love with every single batik she had available.  They were in 1/2 yard cuts, so I limited myself to just these eight:
A nice fall sampling, I thought!  I also got her to jump in a pic with me after she signed my book.
This was after her program, so she had to have been worn out -- but she was still gracious and kind (and beautiful)!

One of the vendors--Decherds Needleworks--is usually a staple at Assembly Day, but he didn't come this year, since the program was held less than five minutes from his shop.  But he still had his traditional $1/fat quarter sale!  We hopped over there during the lunch break and I found quite a few little goodies there...
One dollar per fat quarter??!!  Oh yes, that was a dangerous stop!

But the *best* reason to go to this year's Assembly Day was that I got to give a hug to this beautiful blogger:
Teresa is such a sweetheart -- allowing me to crash their group and hangout with them for the day.  It was such a pleasure to meet her (and by the way, she was way quicker about blogging this day than I was -- read her post about it, here)!

So...all that to share my July stash enhancement report:

Used/donated this month: 1.0 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 20.25 yards
Purchased/added this month: 14.25 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 71.25 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -51.0 yards

LOL! Whoops! Looking back at this time last year, though, I'm still down about 15 yards to the net (and the purchase) and not far off on the used/donated. So that's a plus! Linking this up to Judy's Stash Report for this week (and probably her Design Wall, too) over at Patchwork Times!

And finally . . . I'd like some input. Which backdrop do you like best:
(1) or

(2)?

That's it for me ... I've got 300 cream cheese mints to make for a wedding on Saturday! Gots to get busy!

:)

20 noted . . .:

Cathy said...

Wow! that looked like a fabulous day. This is the second time in a couple of months that I've heard of Edyta Sitar. I'm going to have to check out her stuff. All of the quilts you showed pictures of are gorgeous. As far as the opinion..... number one. And I must confess to a little bit of envy that you and Teresa were able to meet.

Norece said...

I like the plaid background. So glad you had such a wonderful time at your assembly day. Can't get much better than friends and fabric all in one place.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

What a fun day!! So glad you were able to attend. I like the first background.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I say you had a VERY good day! And I like the plaid with your Sept apples.

Momof3girls said...

Our local quilt shop is having a $1.50 fat quarter sale this weekend, starting Thursday. I plan to be there. I like $1 even better. :)

Teresa in Music City said...

I hope you had half as much fun as I did meeting you my friend!!! We've got to get together again soon - there's so much fun quilty stuff we can get into in the Music City area :*) I'm thinking I like the plaid too, but I can't tell for sure what color the first one is....

Barbara F. said...

Looks like a wonderful day, Denise and that lady is a fabulous quilter! Wow, I want all of them!! lol I like both backgrounds but I think I like the softer green print on top? Good to stop by and visit with you! xo

Janet O. said...

Yes, I recall having read something about this on Teresa's blog a looooong time ago!! *LOL* Just teasing. Looks like such a fun event--meeting Teresa AND Edyta (her quilts are amazing). : ) And, of course, the shopping!! Glad it worked out so you could go.
Hmmmm, I think I prefer the plaid. Looks more Fall-ish to me.

Missy Shay said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun! I would pick the plaid background, it stands out more.

cyndiofthevortex said...

I think the plaid might be too overwhelming for the center, so I pick choice #1. Those are some cute apples you have there! Thanks for sharing your wonderful time and the beautiful quilts. What a treat of a day for you!

Needled Mom said...

What a fun day that must have been. Those quilts are amazing! There is so much inspiration to be had when attending an event like that.

Marsha Hodgkins said...

Wow! You sure are getting around, Denise! Edyta, how lucky you were to hear her. She's amazing.

Surprisingly, I think the checked fabric looks better as a background but it definitely depends on the kind of look you're going for. Good luck and let's see what you decide.

Katherines Corner said...

Wow what a wonderful way to spend the day. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

Angel Allen said...

Hi

Looks like you had fun. Have you ever been to the Paducah KY quilt show? It is awesome. I love to sew.

thanks for sharing with us at our
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop
Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Sew Nice to be able to Crash the event. Looks like a lot of FUN. Great pics with the "famous" ladies. Glad you remembered to take them.

Mary said...

Oh, I forgot...I vote for the Plaid!

Lyndsey said...

Loved reading about your day and the pics of the quilts are great. I think the plaid background.

Kate said...

Looks like you had a great day and brought home some really fun stuff.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What fun that had to have been - Teresa, Edyta, and vendors! What's not to love about that?

I do have to say that I think you showed remarkable restraint with the $1/fat quarters! ;-)

Karen said...

Those umbrella quilts are absolutely adorable! Love them!