Saturday, August 17, 2013

when one needs *help* . . .

HeLP, that is, as in Help for Hexie-aholics!!

I had indicated that I would share the plans I had for the gorgeous Christmassy prints I bought earlier in the week and today is the day!

You might remember this darling little twisted-hexi topper I saw in a quilt shop in June:
I knew I wanted to make it but I also wanted to find the perfect fabrics to use ... and until I spied those beautiful big poinsettias on Monday, I was at a loss.  
I also had ordered some more of the 2" hexie pieces and the 2" half-hexie pieces, which came in the mail on Tuesday . . . 

I had taken everything over to Joc's on Thursday, hoping I could get some ironing and piece cutting out.  But when I laid the fabric out to look at it, someone else took an interest in the project:
She didn't like the thought of leaving, either. In fact, these seven prints got the ultimate cat seal of approval:
They were deemed worthy of a catnap! In fact, Leia so loved these prints that when I left to get Ellie up from her nap, Leia brought her very favorite cat toy up onto the fabric, too!  

And speaking of Ellie, isn't she just precious?!  
She's left babydom behind and is definitely *all* toddler!  Just look at how big my sweet girl has gotten!
But I happily digress!  Back to the hexies-at-hand here . . .

I got ready to cut out my centers, but realized I didn't have a good way--short of guessing--to line up the flowers in the center.  
But then I thought -- I need a small hole!
And voila -- a small hole was just enough for me to identify the center of the flower, so I could cut from there.  Which I did!
Seven centers down!  Next came the easier sides . . .

Put 'em together and what have you got?  
I adore the muted reds, greens and golds in this combination -- how fun it will be to work with my hands with these prints!  Plus I'll have something to keep my hands busy tomorrow afternoon -- transition meeting *and* board meeting for the new guild year.  LOL!  I also think I may use some metallic red thread to outline the poinsettia flowers, before I quilt this -- and maybe some yellow metallic thread French knots in the flowers' centers.  I think that would be a pretty touch and really make the those flowers stand out!

I also got a special tea I'd ordered earlier in the week . . .
The combination of the dreary day and the delivery of the tea (what?!? Chocolate coconut truffle?!!!!) means just one thing . . . 
Time to put in a movie and get busy!

Linking up today's post with Sarah's Feline Friday *and* HeLP linky parties!!

:)

18 noted . . .:

Frances said...

Super fussy cutting tip!

Janet O. said...

So, so clever, Denise! What a wonderful combination of fabrics. If Leia likes them, you know they are good--they received the princess seal of approval!
What--metallic threads? Who would have guessed? *LOL* OF COURSE you would find a way to include a little bling. : )
Are you sure that is Ellie? Wow, has it been that long since she joined the world?

Mary said...

Great way to spend your grandma time. I'm sure the table topper will be perfect for the Season that is coming up way too soon. Ellie might need some cookies to go with the tea party.

Barbara B said...

Brilliant idea for fussy cutting hexies!

Paula said...

Ellie is growing much to fast. We need to put cement blocks on those childrens heads. Keep them small for just a bit longer. LOL! If it was only that easy.
Love the hexie's. Love your fabric choices also. Great idea for fussy cutting.
Have fun.

Scrapatches said...

I love the creative way you found the center of your pointsetta flowers. This really makes you hexies very special. Lovely colors and fabrics ... no wonder Leia wanted to keep them for herself. Ellie is an adorable toddler! The tea sounds divine ... :) Pat

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, a real approval stamp for sure! I am not a hexie nut, but I do like this pattern and the fabrics your chose for it perfect. Gosh Ellie has grown, but that smile is still the same.

Teresa in Music City said...

Haha! They are called "board" (bored!) meetings for a reason!!! So love your Christmas hexies!!! They will keep you awake and interested through the meeting :*) Leia is a hoot!!! How funny!!! And I just can't believe how much Ellie has grown - wow!!! She's definitely a big girl now :*)

Doniene said...

So, so, so pretty! I LOVE that poinsettia fabric!! And Ellie - oh my, oh my!!! What a doll!!

Blessings and hugs!

Kris said...

Denise - I LOVE your poinsettia hexie flowers - perfect!! And the finished table topper is so cute - I have never seen that configuration around a hexie before!! Can't wait to see it all done with the fun embellishments!! And both your girls are darling!!

Sandi Colwell said...

The fabric for that twister is so, so great. I love to read what you are working on.

Lyndsey said...

I love how you have used those gorgeous fabrics in the table topper. I also love hexies so I think this is perfect.

tubakk said...

Beautiful with that fuzzy cut flowers in the center.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Gorgeous!!! I LOVE those fabrics, and they're going to be make a stunning table topper! Super cool fussy cut tip, too.

Momof3girls said...

Very pretty! Ellie and the hexies. :)

Sarah said...

Any fabric that gets a cats seal of approval (her fav toy) is a good choice! Miss Ellie is definitly now a toddler - wowzer!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love how you fussy cut your flowers. Pretty!

Kate said...

What a big girl Ms. Ellie has gotten to be.

Love your new project. The poinsettias are just about perfect.