Monday, August 12, 2013

a finish, a start, and a ufo-no-mo . . .

Well, a UFO no more, almost.  Well, not even that.  Random blocks no more. Actually, a completed, pieced top in the making and almost finished.  But that doesn't work as well in the title!

I can't believe it's been almost TWO year since I received these Journey Steps blocks from a block swap my Stitcher's Group had . . .
I blogged about it here.  And I took the blocks off my wall and didn't fool with them again.  I didn't particularly want to make any more blocks.  And then there was the dilemma I had with a couple of them being too small.  *But* we'd agreed to share our finished tops as a group at this month's guild meeting. Which is Thursday.  And I was feeling the pressure to participate.  So I pulled them out . . . 
. . . and started playing around in EQ to see if I could find a setting I liked and could work with, without having to make more blocks. These are some options I came up with:
A six-by-six block placement allowed me to square up the setting and use all the blocks .... by using the smaller blocks as cornerstones in the border.  
Then I decided I wanted the corner blocks to be inset in the border:
The center is now pieced!  I like this *SO* much better than the original placement.
I'm headed out to one of my LQSs to pick out a Civil War print for the border and one for the binding.  I do believe I'll have show and tell for Thursday!  (Although when it will actually be quilted, bound, and completely finished, who knows???) Linking up to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and Design Wall Monday!

I also finished up my little September apple block:
What fun it was!  I even bit the bullet and FMQ'd little leaves all over the plaid. I'm particularly pleased with the result.  And now I'm all ready for a new month in my little quilt stand!

Finally, I started a new project . . . 
This is from Edyta Sitar's Seasonal Silhouettes collection -- the October block (surprise, surprise)!  I purchased three sets of the laser cut kits.  AWESOME!  I'll frame it out and then quilt it.  It's too big to go in my quilt stand, but I want to leave them as stand-alones.  (I have two more kits -- November's and December's!)

And I also 'dabbled' in cream cheese mints last weekend ... for a friend's daughter's wedding reception. Three hundred eighty cream cheese mints.  
Whew!  Her colors were sunflower yellow and azure blue.  And sunflowers decorated everything -- my kind of decor! The wedding was beautiful and the mints were a hit. I'm just glad they're not in my house any more!

I'm off to get into my Monday groove!  Y'all have a *great* week!!

:)



11 noted . . .:

Cathy said...

Oh Denise..... that quilt is stunning!! I love the layout you chose for it. It's beautiful. And your piece for october is gorgeous. I'm really going to have to check out her stuff. And here's a thought... if you send your quilt to me, I could quilt it for you. Of course, I might have a hard time giving it back. ;-}

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely quilt top and your minis are gorgeous. I can see you getting in the groove - fall is just around corner.

Quilter Kathy said...

This layout is awesome...I love your quilt! Great idea to put the smaller blocks in the border...I'll have to keep that in mind for group quilt tops with varying size blocks.

Mary said...

Good thinking. You will never be able to tell those four blocks were smaller. Great, almost, finish! I'm glad you went with the plaid background on you apples block. I've made mints for a wedding before, I had so many we ate them for a few years, I froze the extras. My DIL loves them.

Barbara B said...

Love your quilt! I made a small one and someday plan to make it bigger--or just start over! Eager to see it "in the cloth"!

Barbara F. said...

Your September square turned out great!!! I would want a quilt with 12 blocks, one for each month, lol. xo

Janet O. said...

Wonderful layout for those blocks--and a clever save for the smaller ones.
Your September block turned out so cute--and I am LOVING that October block!!
Yum, those mints look good. : )

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh how clever of you! Using the smaller blocks for the cornerstones is the perfect solution! I really love the quilt so far - very warm and inviting, perfect for snuggling :*) And it's wonderful to have all those blocks made by quilt friends too. You will indeed have something for Show n Tell!!!

Love your little quilts! Edyta's is always so pretty with her signature batiks :*) What a cute little blue bird!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the setting you chose.

Sarah said...

I love the fall colors in your new project. Our leaves are starting to turn so it definitly fits the mood here in the cool north...

Kate said...

Love how you solved your block size problem with your swap blocks, the top looks great.