Tuesday, August 13, 2013

two in a row . . .

Posts, that is.  Quite out of the norm for me these days, isn't it?!  But I couldn't resist showing off a bit!

I bustled out to the closest LQS yesterday morning, and spent an hour or so with the pieced top spread out over a couple of tables, interviewing fabrics for the border and binding.  The binding was an easy pick for me, but the binding took a couple of tries.  I finally ended up with this combination:
The black print for the border and the red for the binding. Many thanks to Sharon, at Patches & Stitches, for all her help (and putting away all those bolts)!

Like I could walk into a quilt shop and *just* get what I came for.  I spotted the Christmas fabrics and, with a very specific project in mind (more on that later in the month...no, definitely not tomorrow), I scooped up these lovelies:
I'd say my August stash report is blown, but since I've got a top finished, that'll take care of that!

And . . . because I just realized I didn't have an 8.5" square ruler . . .
I can't believe I made all those blocks way back when, without an 8.5" ruler! Was I mad???  I threw in a package of my favorite redwork/embroidery needles, too.

After a quick stop at the grocery store (Todd has to eat, even if I could quilt through dinner), I hurried home to get BUSY!

I'm so, so pleased with how this turned out!!!  Here's the original pattern and what we were going for (20 of us participated in this block swap):
She used jewel tone batiks, which are really pretty, but our group agreed to use Civil War prints and shirting for the blocks (this is when I realized how beautiful and rich CW prints were and how much I love them). Her pattern calls for 48 blocks.  Here's my finished top with 40 blocks:
Yup, I'm totally in love with this!  The four corner blocks make it, for me . . .
And I did something new-to-me . . . I mitered the corners of the border around the corner blocks!
You really can't see it, but I think that's part of the charm.  It really does make the block look like it's floating.  Mitering the corners wasn't too tough, once I figured out how to do it.  I will say that I was glad it was only happening in one corner!  LOL!  I used a video tutorial by Penny Halgren to help me figure it all out.

There are so many things I could name this ... but when I texted a picture of it to my son, he commented how striking it was to him -- that it reminded him of pixels of color, all coming together to make a picture.  Since he's a graphics design guy, that makes sense.  I think I may gift this to him and call it Pixelated!  :)

Now I just have to decide how to quilt it . . . but that can wait.  I just had to have the top pieced for Thursday's show & tell!!

:)

14 noted . . .:

Janet O. said...

Pixelated--Love it! Are you familiar with the Gary Cooper/Jean Arthur movie Mr. Deeds Goes To Town? (Not the new version.) That's what the quilt name conjures up in my mind. : )
It is a great quilt. I do love chain blocks and make them in CW prints and I am sold!! Congrats on making the mitered corners. I know they aren't hard, as you say, but they take more thought and by the time I reach that point on a quilt I am through thinking!
Some yummy Christmas fabrics there, too, Denise. I'm curious to see your plans for them.

Teresa in Music City said...

How nice to have a blog post from you to read two days in a row!!!

Isn't it fun when a wallflower UFO suddenly takes on a new life and becomes beautiful? It's like, why haven't I seen the potential in this quilt before??? This one really turned out wonderful Denise - I know you are going to love it! Perfect choices for the finishing - any mitered corners too? Wow!!!

Just love those Christmas prints - looking forward to seeing what you are going to get up to with those :*D

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think you came up with a wonderful NEW version. And learning a new technique to boot. They aren't hard and they do add the look of the quilt. And good purchase on the template - I have a series of squared templates - they really do make a difference in your accuracy and smoother finish.

Lyndsey said...

Great quilt top and I love your choice of name, it really suits the quilt. Love your choice of Christmas fabrics.

Mary said...

Some times you need a bit of help choosing the name. I love the CW prints in this. You had fun at the LQS. Dinner for DH, What's that? Mine asks me all the time...

Ranch Wife said...

You certainly chose some lovely pieces from your quilt shop adventure! I see fun stitching in your future. :) Great name for such a pretty quilt and 2 thumbs up for mitering your corners. I've only done that once and I really liked the end result.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow - such a gorgeous quilt ... and I agree, those corner blocks make it spectacular!

I've bookmarked that tutorial as my first attempt at a mitered corner didn't work out as well as I would have liked.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Love your son's description - and love the quilt too. :) blessings, marlene

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Once you figure them out, mitered corners are easy. I taught them to myself, when I was a newbie at quilting.

Angel Allen said...

This is lovely.
Thanks for sharing with us at our Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop.
Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

Lee D said...

It's a gorgeous quilt and I love the muted tones too.

Katherines Corner said...

so pretty! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

Sarah said...

Pixelated is fabulous - the colors are definitly rich and I just love the "twisted" blocks to form the corners. Your son will love it!

Kate said...

It turned out beautifully! Congrats on the finished top.