Tuesday, April 08, 2014

design wall tuesday . . .

I had an unexpected change to my week right off the bat . . . Ellie was not feeling well and Joc needed to go into work, so I switched up my Tuesday for Monday, which meant I kick-started my week with a happy Ellie day!
First, we snuggled together to watch Tangled.  Of course, Ellie loves taking pictures when she can see the picture being taken!  And of course we had to have tea, too . . .
Little Miss likes to 'sip' her tea from the spoon.  And not just any spoon (believe me, I know), she needed a "teeny, tiny spoon."  Haha!  Silly girl! She also helped my put my last embroidery stitches in my wool egg:
I heard her mutter, "Sharp!" several times as she was handling the needle, but she didn't back off!

Speaking of the egg, I stitched it together, filled it, and closed it up last night:
It's sweet, but I don't think I'll use the 'invisible thread' to stitch up the next four. It was impossible to work with and doesn't give a nice clean edge to the egg seams. I may go back and do a blanket stitch with some matching floss (I just didn't have any that quite matches the color wool I used).  

I also (finally) finished up putting together the pieces to set the center of the pineapple quilt on point . . .
The back of this quilt will look very striking with it's solid (sorta) purple and blue and black.

I love the hand quilting I did on the pineapple center (I machine quilted the blocks I've yet to attach)-
But it's hilarious (and a little embarrassing) to look at the backside . . .
This UFO was the third quilt I ever started (my second LQS BOM) and it was the reason I *finished* my first quilt (and first BOM).  I did a little wall hanging in between . . . but this is all the subject for another post. My point is, I did the hand quilting in 2007 -- I think it's fair to say I'm come a long way, baby! (At least, I certainly hope it is!)

So, even though I finished up my goals from last week, my design wall for this week looks much the same -- another egg and more work on finishing up the pineapple quilt.  This week I'll work towards connecting the block sides to the center square.  It's more of the same -- making the strips (which I'll make *correctly* this time), attaching them, zig zag stitching the units together, and then hand stitching the other side of the strips down.

Sounds like a fairly productive week, non?!  Linking up (a day late and a dollar short) to Patchwork Times. And right on time to Esther Aliu's WOW = WIPs on Wednesdays.

Tonight, Todd and I are settling in to watch The Desolation of Smaug (part two of The Hobbit series) on DVD -- it's been released today. YAY!  

:)

13 noted . . .:

Teresa in Music City said...

Ha! I was a day late too!!! Love the sweet pictures of you with Ellie - she is so darn cute!!! And I'm in love with your egg - what is inside?

I have a quilt I hand quilted many years ago, and looking at it now I cringe at the workmanship. But it is a cherished quilt and I just see it as the beginnings of my journey :)

Janet O. said...

So sweet to see you stitching with Ellie. You'll make a stitcher out of her, won't you? : )
Just the other day I pulled out the first quilt I ever made--in junior high! Oh my, your stitching looks great!!!

Libby in TN said...

Love, love, love the egg. That Ellie is a sweetheart to help you. I enlarged Teresa's picture to see what brand of starch she uses for her applique prep. It's diced pimentos!

Mary said...

Great to see your post, a day late or not! My Quilt Buddies Grandaughter calls them "pokies". She is adorable! Enjoy all your Ellie Time while you can.

Pat said...

Ellie is SO cute. Love that Easter egg and the pineapple quilt is going to be fabulous. (If anyone dares to look at the back and say anything, show them the door! LOL)

Jean(ie) said...

Now you have me singing, "I have a dream" form Tangled. LOL! You've made some awesome project progress lately. Yay for you!

Glenda said...

What a lovely way to start the week. Loved the way your easter egg came up, makes me want to make them for my DGChildren. Thanks for sharing that wee journey. Love the colours in your pineapple quilt Cheers Glenda

Glenda said...

What a lovely way to start the week. Loved the way your easter egg came up, makes me want to make them for my DGChildren. Thanks for sharing that wee journey. Love the colours in your pineapple quilt Cheers Glenda

Katherines Corner said...

Starting your day with that cutie pie and her dimples. pure joy. xo

Melissa Bishop said...

Everything is so pretty! And look how long your hair has become! I remember when you said you were growing it out. It's gorgeous!

Sarah said...

Your stitched egg is adorable and those little hands helping stitch it together will make the memories all the sweeter :)

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I think Ellie loves spending time with you!!! You two are making some great memories. The egg is darling and I love all things pineapple!!!!!! I am running late this week, too. Must be the nice weather!!

Kate said...

Hope Ellie is feeling better. Love your little egg, it's so cute. The Pineapple quilt is coming along nicely. Good luck getting it to the finished stage.