Tuesday, April 01, 2014

april's bibliophile files . . .

Happy APRIL FOOLS' DAY!! I think the big joke is on those people who still have snow on the first day of April!!  Being that it's the first Tuesday of the month, it's also time for the Bibliophile Files . . .
And that's no joke!!

I finished up all my March books and will be doing several reviews over the next few Saturdays. This month, my books practically chose themselves! My challenge is to read four books from the following categories: books that have been recommended, books I've borrowed from the lending library, books I'm reviewing (blogging for books), and books that are faith/walk strengtheners.  So let's see what I've chosen (or rather, what chose me) . . .


This month's review book will be one of Beverly Lewis's--a favorite author who specializes in Amish fiction. It's book five in the Hickory Hollow series, The Last Bride. I've followed this series from beginning to end, so I'm looking forward to getting started on it! It's a new release, too, as of this morning!





A Rooster Once Crowed by Bryant Cornett is my "recommended book".  I've heard good things about the both the author and the book and decided this month, the month of Easter, was a particularly good time to give it a read.  I have to admit, I've already started turning the Kindle pages on this one -- it's going to be a quick read!  (As of this morning, it was a freebie on Amazon, too!)





One of my favorite movies is Julie & Julia -- the story of a blogger (Julie Powell) who cooks/blogs her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  I'm tickled to say that Joc has a copy of MAFC and I will be looking through it today (Ellie Day!  YAY!!) for a recipe for potage parmentier, aka potato and leek soup.  But that's a story for another post, non?!  When I saw my e-library had a digital copy of the book available for check out, I decided to grab it.




And finally, my faith strengthening book for this month will be Francis Chan's Forgotten God.  We just started a new series in Sunday school and this is the book our series is based on.  Our teacher (who is also our pastor) recommended we get and read the book, so I will. (I was always that kind of student!)  I've read several of Francis Chan's other books and so I know this one will be terrific. This is a freebie for Amazon prime users!


So, that's where my nose will be for the next several weeks . . . what about yours??!  Be sure to head over to sarah did it! and see what else is coming off the bookshelves for the month of April!!

:)

11 left a comment . . .:

Momof3girls said...

Thanks! I got the rooster book. Do you know if the Beverly Lewis books can be borrowed from the Kindle library?

Melissa Bishop said...

I'm doing podcasts right now about the supernaturla, spiritual things of the bible & how they've been forgotten by the church. When I went to Amazon and read the table of contents for this book, the one titled, ;Supernatural Church' really hit home for me. That is my dream for the church and I believe it has been put in my heart by Holy Spirit.

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like you have some fun reading ahead.

Sarah said...

I had no idea there were already more books to the Hickory Hollow series - thanks for the heads up!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

A Rooster Once Crowed was still free when I put it on my iPad kindle app a few minutes ago. Thanks for the heads up!!!!

My daughters and I really like Beverly Lewis.

An Ellie day sounds like great fun for you, so enjoy!!!

Ranch Wife said...

Looking forward to hearing more Ellie adventures! Thank you for the book recommendations - I can't keep up with you Girl! My reading list just keeps getting longer, but it's hard to beat a good book!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

A Rooster Once Crowed is still free ... And I "purchased" it. I let reading go on the back burner when I was watching the Ts but I hope to be able to get back to reading now that I'm re-retired. ;-)

Teresa in Music City said...

Thanks for the head's up - I got the Rooster book! And I just LOVE Julie and Julia - great book!!!! Looks like you are going to be a regular blue-stocking this month :*)

Happy Spring !!!!

Missy Shay said...

I love Beverly Lewis. I liked the movie Julie and Julia too, you'll have to let me know how the book is.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Looks like an interesting month ahead! I loved the movie version of Julie & Julia but haven't read the book.

Jean(ie) said...

I've got several books going. I'm reading the last bit of the third book in the Divergent series. I'm also listening to The Passage by Justin Cronin.

I've got to pick out my kindle book. got a few in my queue to choose from.