Tuesday, January 06, 2015

reading thru the new year . . .


It's the first Tuesday of the month.  That means it's Bibliophile File day! Hurrah!

Last year I set up a challenge for myself to read four different types of books each month. I'd choose a book that had been recommended, a book I'd borrowed from the lending library (physically or digitally), a book to review (blogging for books), and a book that was a faith/walk strengthener.  I did fairly well through the year and even typically managed to throw an extra couple of books in there a month.  For example, during the month of December, I threw caution to the wind and devoured about eight Melody Carlson Christmas stories, in addition to some other fluffy, Christian Christmas-themed tales.

I have no desire to set any particular challenge this year, but I have already picked four books to read throughout the year and I thought I'd share those for this first BF linky party of the year!

These are the devotionals/daily readings I've selected for 2015.  The first is Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence, by Sarah Young. I'm familiar with this one -- I've had the app and two of my sisters have the devo. It's filled with short but stout daily readings that have already this year pierced my heart.  

The second one is called Designed for Devotion:  A 365-Day Journey from Genesis to Revelation, by Dianne Neal Matthews. This one is also filled with shorter daily readings designed to set focus on God in all His glory and invite personal relationship with Him, why relating His story as told in Scripture, from beginning to end!

The third one is already such fun -- this one is Women of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study of Women in Scripture, by Ann Spangler and Jean E. Syswerda.  Oh my goodness -- fifty-two women from God's word . . . the good and the bad . . . the pure of heart and the evil . . . and what we can learn from them!  Because this is weekly studies, I started this one last Monday, so I'm actually into week two.  Eve was our first subject and Sarai is this week's focus.  I can already tell that this one is going to be GREAT!

And finally, the challenge of the four, Reading God's Story: A Chronological Daily Bible, by George H. Guthrie.  Don't get me wrong -- Guthrie didn't write the Bible -- it's actually the Holman translation.  What Guthrie wrote was the introductions of each week's readings and the act and plot summaries.  It's fascinating reading as he has the reader reading God's work in the order in which it took place, historically.  I've already had understanding of Scripture that I'd never put together before. It's the meat of my reading and it's a great way to read through the entirety of Scripture in a year's time.

And then, just for fun (and girls do need their fun), I'm also doing a little light reading . . . If Teapots Could Talk, by Gloria Hander Lyons. This one is filled with "fun ideas for tea parties"!  Hmmm . . . who could I have tea parties with?! It's got some nice recipes and I love tea party themes and there are plenty of those, as well. I'll get some good use from this one, I'm sure!

Anyway, that's it for me for this month.  Head on over to sarah did it! to see what has others turning pages!

:)

8 noted . . .:

Janet O. said...

Looks like you have found some great devotional reading, Denise--and, of course, the fun tea party book. : )

Sarah said...

The chrono bible sounds quite interesting. It certainly would put the bible in a different perspective. Can't wait to see what you come up with from the talking teapots book :) and now I am off to write my post...

Missy Shay said...

I want that If teapots could talk book! I love having tea parties and randomly inviting friends over for them. I've decided to have a Spring one and a fall one.

Maureen said...

I used "Jesus Calling" as a devotional several years ago and am using it again this year. It's amazing how often God has spoken to me through this book.
If you go to www.patternsoffaith.com you'll find a quilt/Bible study based on the Women of the Bible book. I've been working on my blocks for several years and hope to complete it this year.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This looks like a good selection Denise!

Kate said...

Looks like a very balanced reading list for the year. Enjoy!

Lara B. said...

Each one of those books looks great Denise! You have quite a lot of goals in reading after all. LOL

StitchinByTheLake said...

Denise I found Jesus Calling about three years ago. I'd read it through and underlined so much that this year I bought a new one - large print. :) blessings, marlene