Saturday, January 17, 2015

same song, second verse . . .

. . . my stash stayed the same and my busy-ness was worse!
Well, my stash did stay the same.  Nothing in and nothing out.  Fine.  And my week was very busy.  Our ministry held its annual board meeting on Friday, so the days I wasn't working, I was busy helping Todd get ready for that.  Except for Thursday night . . . Thursday night was guild, blessed guild night!

Our speaker was fiber artist, Molly Elkind.
Her work was incredible!  I loved her cardinal piece . . .
Plus she did a lot of work in cotton paper that was very fascinating.
She's moved all over the place in her mediums, from fabric, paper, and now weaving. She shared about a new type of organic cotton being grown that actually grows in colors -- green and brown. These are two pieces she wove using it . . .
Interestingly enough, when it's washed, it gets darker and darker, instead of fading. How cool is that?! Needless to say I enjoyed her lecture and trunk show very much! 

However, because of all the comings and goings, I still haven't spent a lot of time in the Nook. I got in there long enough to put bed risers under my cutting table legs:
Tah dah! Now, if I can just make it to Tuesday . . . I'll be able to spend a whole DAY in the Nook! Yay!!

In the meantime, I'm still working on this POTC block, stitching when I can . . .
Which will probably be in the car, to and fro tomorrow! I've only got two more units to attach to the block. And yes, that's tape on the units . . . I do that to make sure the units go together the way I want them to, which is especially important if you've been fussy cutting.

But on Tuesday . . . it's all pineapple quilt. Finally!
Like how I put it on hangers and hung the strips?  Makes for a gorgeous backdrop (if I do say so myself)!

Linking up in a couple of places.  First, HeLP for Hexie-aholics, over at sarah did it! It's her birthday weekend (Saturday, January 17) so go over and give her some birthday love!  Also linking up to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts!

:)

19 noted . . .:

Mary said...

Come on Tuesday....It's high time to get out there and enjoy your new space. I really need to get me some of those risers. Thanks for sharing the fun guild meeting trunk show.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I too love those cardinals :)

Doniene said...

Those cardinals are amazing!! Very interesting textiles/paper art!

Blessings and hugs!

Julie in GA said...

Your POTC block is gorgeous!

Kaja said...

I love the cardinals too - thanks so much for sharing. Also very much like how your POTC block is looking.

kalicocreations said...

The cardinal quilt is lovely as is your POTC block.
Terry

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh my she is talented. That cardinal piece is spectacular! Have fun with your hexies today!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Love those cardinals and having made a POTC I love that block of course and recognized it immediately

Quilter Kathy said...

A great tip to tape together units as you're working on them. Thanks for linking up with such a great photo!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Hi ...me again :) I answered your question on my blog but came over here...about that star block : I have one in my eagle sampler quilt as well. I have two more stars made to applique on pillow covers or something or other down the line but here is the one on the other quilts. Jinny Beyer block pattern but I adapted it a bit :)

http://www.frugallittlebungalow.com/eagle-sampler-quilt-finish-issue-yarn/

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Hi ...me again :) I answered your question on my blog but came over here...about that star block : I have one in my eagle sampler quilt as well. I have two more stars made to applique on pillow covers or something or other down the line but here is the one on the other quilts. Jinny Beyer block pattern but I adapted it a bit :)

http://www.frugallittlebungalow.com/eagle-sampler-quilt-finish-issue-yarn/

Kate said...

Hope you do get in some stitching time next week and make some headway towards being in the black again. Your POTC block looks great.

Janet O. said...

It appears that Molly is one talented lady!
That colored cotton is fascinating!
Hang in there, Tuesday is coming, and in the meantime you have that wonderful POTC block to sew up. : )

Beth in MN said...

What a fun guild presentation. It was very interesting about the colored cotton and loved her Cardinal quilt.
Have fun in the Nook on Tuesday. Hey, the numbers are still good and it is early days of the year. Love the POTC block.
Hugs

Barbara B said...

Thanks for the photos from guild. So sorry I missed it--glad you shared!

Teresa in Music City said...

LOVE that pineapple quilt!!!! I am sure your little Nook will be waiting patiently for you to come play :) I know you are anxious to be there - I sure would be!

Needled Mom said...

Mollie's work is stunning. She is so talented.

Lara B. said...

You've been having a lot of quilting fun Denise! Even if you didn't get much chance to sew, this is a lot of cool stuff. Yes I do like your giant quilt clips (hangers) LOL
That EPP block is gorgeous!
Love Molly's Cardinal quilt too!

Sarah said...

Look at me - finally getting 2 seconds to check out my own linky party! That cotton sounds fantastic - colors that darken over time! I'm guessing by now you've had time to finish your POTC and work on the pineapple quilt. Bloglovin' is calling me next to check for progress reports :)