Monday, January 05, 2015

some assembly required . . .

I have had the most marvelous time putting "Neesey's Nook" in working order! My darling hubby did the hard stuff . . . hanging insulation and pegboard, painting, laying linoleum, and hanging shelves! But then I got to come in and do the fun stuff!  So let's start at the front and I'll give you a little tour. First off, no door of mine is complete without a wreath:
This is the perfect place for this very "campy" wreath (although after looking at it, I think I will move the hook up to the top part of the lattice)!  And then if you look directly down...
You'll see I purchased (with a Bed, Bath & Beyond gift card I got for Christmas) a lovely, heavy-duty mat -- which is an absolute must when you leave in the middle of the woods.  Trust me.  

Probably the first thing you see when entering is the ironing corner:
Oh gosh, I do love pegboard!  Let me get in a little closer here . . .
Isn't that fun?  I love those little baskets!  And my sprays looked much neater and easier to grab. My "Count it *all* JOY!!!" mini won't stay there . . . I'm just trying to hide the worst of the ironing board stains!  

A quick peek up here . . . 
Todd installed this shelf so I'd have a place to put my fabric bins!  These bins are my stash (usually a fat quarter or less), organized by colors.  I have a couple of rubbermaid tubs of yardage.  Shhhh.  We left the roof unfinished.  I may go back and paint it white, later.  But for now it was good as it was and I rather like the rustic look.

On down and around is the cutting corner. I can't think of anything more phenomenal than having one's rulers and templates all available at one's fingertips.
Well, most of them are in finger reach.  If you move on past the window, you'll see where my bigger rulers and templates are hanging:
You see that there is the door (where we came in).  Just to the right of the door (or to the left, if you're outside looking at the front) is my sewing corner . . .
Isn't it darling?!  I found a nifty pegboard hanger that was just perfect for my scissors!  And then right above the window:
JOY!  And buttons!  Both very good things. Would you believe I got two of the "JOY" decorations for Christmas?! It actually made me very happy. First of all, that people associate that word with me (and that's all Jesus) and secondly, because it gave me one for the RV and one for my nook!  Perfect. Each one of the windows has open space above it. This window has the entire width, and the other two are divided by a 2X4.

Now that Neesey's Nook is open for business, we also have our dining nook back in the RV:
Yay!  We can have breakfast at the table together again! LOL!!

So that was nook assembly . . . now for quilt assembly.  On the 'wall' this week is, of course, the pineapple quilt. I finished the hand-stitching and now to prepare the top and bottom pieces to attach:
My seam coverings will be a LOT longer. But gauging from the layout below, all my black lines are going to line up perfectly.  Whew!
This may be the biggest quilt I've ever pieced *and* quilted by myself! And there's still an 8.5" border to go all the way around. I cannot wait to have it on my bed for real!

Linking up today with Patchwork Times.  Have a GREAT week!!

:)

32 left a comment . . .:

Sandi Colwell said...

Your nook is coming along great!!! Love seeing the pictures. Enjoy your time in there!

Jeanie said...

Your sewing nook is just wonderful.... can't believe how quickly it came together. I'm sure you'll love having a designated space for your sewing...enjoy!

Melissa Bishop said...

Love it! What a great place to create. That quilt is gorgeous!

Momof3girls said...

I love it! It's perfect for you. Having a 5th wheel ourselves, I can see why you would need your own space. I have a room for my business and my own crafting and it's definitely not big enough. Enjoy!

Cathy said...

I love your quilt! So bright and beautiful. And your nook! Wow. I love it so much! Congrats!

Ramona said...

It's so exciting to see your Nook coming together! How wonderful! I love your pineapple quilt. The colors are beautiful, as is the design. Happy sewing in your new sewing home!

Cotton Blossom said...

I enjoyed seeing your space. I hope you have many creative hours there. I most enjoyed your comment that people associate you with the word "Joy". What a blessing!

Barbara said...

Fantastic, Denise. I'm so happy for you. It looks lovely. Now the challenge will be to actually sew while you're in there rather than gazing around at all the cuteness.

Needled Mom said...

It all looks so fantastic and well arranged. Now...to make it messy!!!! That quilt is beautiful too.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow! What a fantastic place to work and create! Looking forward to seeing all of your new quilts.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a lovely place you have to create in.

Kris said...

Oh, my, Girl!! Have you got the energy!! Is that a gift you got for Christmas too?? May I borrow some?? Neesy's Nook is beyond fabulous!! I know you will find hours and hours of JOY in there!! And your quilt is gorgeous!! Enoy!!

Jean(ie) said...

This just makes me smile on so many levels! I love your little cabin! How far is it from your home? Is it nearby? I'm trying to remember the area.

Keep going on that quilt. I can't wait to see it finished.

Lara B. said...

It looks like an adorable little quilt shop - so sweet Denise! You are going to have a lot of fun in there. I like your Joy too - both the one above your window and the one God put in you!
Pineapples is coming along great.

Janet O. said...

Such a perfect space for you to enJOY!! I am so happy for you. I'll bet that is nice to have your dining nook back again, too!
Your quilt is stunning!

Michelle said...

It looks great! So fun to set up a new space!

Marti said...

Beautiful quilt!

I haven't read back on your blog, so this may be a silly question, but do you have your own building for quilting? That would be wonderful!

Lyndsey said...

You've made great use of the space in your nook. It's making me grin to look at your pictures of it. You are going to have so many happy hours working there. Your quilt is fabulous and I love the colours.

tink's mom said...

Thanks for the pictures of your wonderful new space. It looks so efficent. I love that. You should get an award from Peg Board for your terrific use of the stuff.

Adrienne said...

I came over to visit from Marlene's Stitchin' By The Lake. I'm so glad I did! I was thrilled to read your blog and see how God has led you to the ministry you've had. My sweetheart and I have dreams of doing the same in the future. You may want to stop by my blog and read how He has begun the process in us. I've shared my word for the new year and it will probably resonate with your heart. I will definitely be back again and again. Your little cabin is darling! Can't wait to see more.
~Adrienne~

Prairie Patch Quilts said...

I just love your sewing nook and how well you have set it all up. It is so much nicer when you can see what you are looking for and being able to put it away when you are done. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing; I so enjoyed seeing how you have used the space.

Chris said...

The colors in your quilt are quite stunning.

Gone Country said...

Nice job on both the nook and the quilt! It's always nice to be organized. I think it helps promote creativity not to mention productivity. Enjoy your new space and hopefully soon, your new quilt!

Sarah said...

It must be nice to have your breakfast nook back! And it's extra nice to see quilts in progress in your Neesy Nook!! Enjoy!

Barbara B said...

What a fabulous space--thanks for the tour! Todd did super-good!

Mary said...

Thanks for showing us around the Nook. I see you have one of Janet O's mini ornaments hanging by your scissors, too.

Missy Shay said...

I am so happy for and love the way you organized it. That was quick!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Your sewing cabin is fantastic! I love it! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun in there! And your quilt has turned out great. Lovely job.

Marsha Hodgkins said...

I'm drooling! Grab me a towel, or better yet, a snack mat! What a gorgeous sewing niche and you put it all together in record time!

May JOY continue to bless your space.
QuilterinMotion
Marsha

Ranch Wife said...

I am SO excited for you sweet lady! What a beautiful, creative space! I love all of your special touches and how you've made it a stitching haven. Thank you for sharing it with us - I'm betting you had a ball fixing it up!

Kate said...

Your Nook turned out beautifully. You'll have lots of happy hours of stitching in there.

The Pineapple quilt is gorgeous! Hope you were able to make some good progress on it this week.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a great space. Nice quilt, so far, too.