Monday, January 18, 2016

a review: bronner

Eight years ago, I ached and grieved along with hundreds and thousands of others for the Burgess family, as they mourned the death of their 2-1/2 year old son, Bronner.  Rick Burgess, his dad, is the the co-host of the syndicated Rick and Bubba radio show, a morning show I've listened to for years, along with tons of other people.  The show is particularly popular in the south, but carried all over the U.S.  Anyway, I was so touched by how this family handled themselves during this heart-breaking time in their lives. Rick preached the message, A Father's Heart for his son's funeral and laid out the Gospel in a way that brought many to Christ (and continues to do so).  Sherri, his wife, and Bronner's mom, poured out her thoughts and feelings in her blog -- a blog I know was helpful to my own daughter, when she lost her Everett. This very public family grieved in a manner that honored Christ, and when I learned that Sherri Burgess had written a book, Bronner: A Journey to Understand, I knew I would want to read it.

I was not disappointed.  This book is the outpouring of a mama's heart . . . the desperate desire to understand the crazy 'why' of the loss of a child.  And with beautiful transparency, Sherri walks through her experience.  From the set-up of their idyllic family and life, to the panic-filled moments surrounding Bronner's death, and through the grief, healing, and spiritual growth that's taken place in the years following.

But Bronner is more than just Sherri's story.  It's God's story. How He opened the collective eyes of the Burgess family; how He taught them to walk in faith and trust in a way they'd never had to before. How He burdened Rick and Sherri with the knowledge that there were so many lives that were destined for eternal death unless they came to a saving knowledge of Christ.  It's a story about God's grace and His mercy and His redemption.  It's hard story to read - I cried more times than I can count - but it's also a beautiful story to read. God's sovereignty and love for His people shine through.

Bronner: A Journey to Understand, releases today.  I highly recommend it -- it will change you.

:)

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from New Hope
Publishers, as part of their Blogger Review program. I was not required to write a
positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in 
accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: 
"Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

5 left a comment . . .:

Libby in TN said...

Sounds like a lovely and moving story. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mary said...

The Loss of a Child is the hardest thing I could ever imagine. I am so blessed to have all of my healthy grandchildren. I have to count my Blessings every day!

Janet O. said...

Sounds very powerful! I will have to be in an emotionally stronger place than I am now to read it! : )

Teresa in Music City said...

I've seen this one advertised and decided that I don't need the emotional upheaval I'm sure it would cause in me right now. I'm glad for your review - it gave me reason to reconsider and perhaps read it one day when I feel ready.

Kate said...

Sounds like a very emotional, but uplifting read. Thanks for the recommendation.