Saturday, January 02, 2016

new thinking for a new year . . .

Happy New Year!!  A new year always feels so fresh and sparkly . . . a clean slate on which to start over (or press on) . . . a new opportunity to get it right!  But so much for a clean *stash* slate. Between spending time destashing and spending time shopping (and even spending some time stitching) my slate is already showing bigger overall numbers than it did for the whole of 2015!
Ha!!  How's that for a first report?! I really went through all my yardage with an attitude of, "Does it have a purpose . . . does it bring joy?"  If it couldn't be yes to one of those, in the to-go bag it went, to the tune of 48.5 yards. And I was on the lenient side. I think I'll give it a couple of months and then go through it all again. Since I ended the year with an accumulated total of better than 200 yards, it's obvious my stash needed some pruning!

I used up a half of a yard preparing all my EPP 'houses' for the Hexie Birthday Swap. It adds up pretty quickly, eh?  I have all of them (seventeen, including one for me and an extra one for Sarah) for the year cut and ready to be basted together (with the exception of several ladies who haven't made a color/fabric choice yet) . . .
And a lonely little Chrysanthemum for a late-comer to the club. Between those and this . . .
my poor, neglected POTC block, I should have enough to keep my stitching on a slow Sunday afternoon!

And then the purchase . . . I purchased more fabric in the space of one day at the New Year's Day sale at Patches & Stitches, than I purchased in the entire of 2015. CRAZY! But, to my credit, it's got a specific purpose! Our Stitcher's group is doing a block swap.  Six blocks (a 3.5" nine-patch) for sixteen ladies.  So 96 blocks (by June)! Here's the quilt the blocks are for . . . 
It's really lovely, but I'm not convinced I'll be using my blocks for that particular look. We're using all Civil War fabrics and a cream.  Here's what I picked up for my offerings:
Isn't that gorgeous??? Oh yeah, and those are some beads I picked up for 'snowflakes'! But back to that fabric.  I just loooooove it!!
Yup, it'll be fun playing with this stuff! The nice thing about going to the sale with a bunch of gals from the Stitcher's group . . . we didn't get the same fabrics -- lots of variety -- spice of life.  ;)

I've challenged myself in several quilty/crafty ways for 2016. For one thing, I've got way too many UFOs hanging around. Most are pieced and just need to be backed and quilted, but I've got an older one where the piecing needs to be finished. Anyway, I'm tired of them taking up space. So when I saw that All People Quilt was sponsoring a UFO Challenge, I jumped right on it! I printed and filled out my list of UFOs . . .
On January 1, I hopped over to the APQ webpage to see which number I'd be working on. Would you believe it?
Number 2! LOL! My Christmas Hexie Topper. I didn't realize how old this was.
Hmmmm.  The reason this is unfinished is because I've never determined exactly what I wanted to do with it! Any ideas?! Hahahaha! If this particular challenge is of interest to you, you can check it out HERE

My second goal is to complete a very modest two Christmas ornaments per month, for a total of 24 by the time next Christmas rolls around.  
I loved the wool snowman and the Christmas tree, so for January, I'll stick to one of each of them! This way, when I'm wanting to attach a little something handmade to a special gift, it's already crafted, and I don't feel the pressure of *having* to stitch into the wee hours to have something ready.

My third goal is to reduce my stash this year, in a significant way (hopefully a combination of use and gifting away anything I don't find appealing anymore) -- and not to purchase *anything* that doesn't have a specific purpose! 

And finally, I want to keep my Nook in better order! I spent the better part of a day cleaning/tidying/tossing so I could sit down and create. I am definitely one who needs order! And the Nook was rather chaotic (it's a small space -- it doesn't take much)!
So, what about you?  Any specific quilting/stitching/crafting goals for 2016?

I'll be linking up to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts!  Enjoy the remainder of the weekend!!

:)

19 noted . . .:

SandraC said...

Your post has me inspired to tackle my own sewing room!

scraphappy said...

I've been on a "does it bring Joy" tidying spurt as well. I haven't had the courage to start getting rid of fabric, but we my dressers drawers close now and there is empty space on the bookshelves. Great progress on your sewing room. Enjoy the neatness while it lasts!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I am in the process of cleaning up my sewing room. What a job! There are not enough hours in the day to do everything I need to do, let alone the sewing I would like to do! My goals include the sewing room, finishing some UFO's and making some Christmas placemats for next year. Happy New Year!

Kate said...

Just having a plan of some sort always helps me get things done. Good luck with your UFO list. You picked up some beauties this last week. Hope your 2016 is full of very happy stitching.

CathieJ said...

I just did a minor cleaning of my sewing table in order to finish a stitching project. Now I have to tackle my small closet. It is not too messy. I just have to straighten the fabric. You have inspired me. As for that Christmas hexie project. I would make a pretty table topper or wall hanging. It is so very pretty.

Quilter Kathy said...

You are starting the new year being so organized... way to go!
I wish I would do the same, but nope... not happening :)
Enjoy your stitching!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I had planned to rearrange my sewing room last year, but it never happened--maybe this will be the year I get organized!?!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

You are so organized and that room is as well! :) Looks wonderful!

Cathy said...

Reorganizing must be a New Years thing. That’s on my list too. I’m going to try to integrate most of my sewing stuff into the long arm studio and out of the apartment. I have no idea how I’m going to accomplish that, as yet. Probably just one small section at a time so I can work up there without the chaos that reorganizing usually brings. I love your idea of making an ornament or two each month so that you’re ready for next year. I’ve really found out lately that, in order to get anything done, I actually need to plan time in my life in order to get it done. I think this years’ focus is going to be getting my unquilted tops quilted up. There’s a quilt show in October, so that’s my incentive.

Charlene S said...

One of my goals for 2016 is to take back control of my studio. Right now the gremlins have it!

Missy Shay said...

You can always turn you r Christmas topper into a Christmas pillow or Use it as a table topper!
Good luck on your goals!

cajunquilter said...

My sewing room and my quilting room both got in a shambles during the holidays. So I am slowly going through everything that was put in them that doesn't belong and replacing it in its place. And while at it I am going through the projects that are ongoing and organizing them a little better. I have a hard time being creative in chaos.

Momof3girls said...

The Christmas hexie is beautiful and would be great as a small table topper. It looks just the right size or maybe as the center of a tablecloth.

I really want to finish my 20+ years quilt. It's taken way too long.

Needled Mom said...

It looks like it was a great year. My sewing room needs a major organization too. Maybe this will be the year I get it done.

Jean(ie) said...

Yay for the destashing! I need to go through my stuff again. My goals are to read three books a month (print or audio), 2-3 hours/week creative time, and learn a new cooking method or cuisine.

sewhappyquilting said...

I also need to do that UFO list! Your Nook looks nice - you made progress!

Janet O. said...

I need to purge fabric, too. I always think I will get to it and then a project comes along where I use a fabric I never thought I would use, and that makes me nervous about giving up fabrics. At least that is my excuse. : )
I am seriously in love with the pattern your Stitchers group is making. I don't need another pattern, but I want to know where you found that one!! Yes, the fabrics you picked up for the block swap are gorgeous. Okay, my mouth is watering, and I don't want to drool on the fabrics or pattern, so I'll move on.
A couple of years ago I planned to make an ornament or two each month and what I did get made I ended up giving them all away long before Christmas came. *LOL*
Love the before/after shots of the Nook. My sewing room becomes the wrapping, hiding, dumping grounds during the holiday and it just got a major cleanup. Wish I'd taken photos.
BTW, quit trying to get Sarah to do mean things to her cat--wrapping it in paper. I'd like to see you do that to Leia. : )

Linda in Calif. said...

For your UFO for the month, you could make it into a hot pad, a table runner, make another for two placemats. And I do love the idea of the two ornaments per month. Very doable.

Jennifer said...

Great start to the year - good for you for taking the time to go through your stash. I got through about 1/2 of mine last year and donated 80 yards to my guild! It really helped the stash report :) I am also doing the APQ challenge and made some good progress on my #2 - it is on the frame ready for quilting. On your tidy-ness goal, our bee does a "clean off your cutting table" reminder the last Sunday of each month. We set up a reminder to come into our email, and it has really helped each of us - at one time or another! My goals for the year are posted on my blog - the big one being to keep focus and finish something each month before I start new projects.