Tuesday, January 05, 2016

books galore . . .

Whenever there's a new month (rabbit, rabbit), a Bibliophile Files post is sure to turn up! Seeing as how the linky party over at sarah did it! is on the first Tuesday of every month, that is!
A New Year generally equals a new reading challenge, but I decided I didn't want to necessarily go there in 2016.  I'm going to go with the book flow and be all loosey-goosey!

That being said (there's always a caveat, isn't there?!), our church is reading through the Bible together in 2016, with a suggested reading plan, and I am taking *that* challenge! In addition to that, this month I've got the following reads on my 'book plate' . . .


Count It All Joy by Dr. David Jeremiah.  Rather appropriate, don't you think? I've been an admirer of Dr. Jeremiah's works for many years. Though this book is based on the book of Philippians, rather than the specific passage from James that admonishes us to, "count it all joy", I'm still positive that it will prove a worthy and challenging book. This read is for a review, so I'll be sharing my thoughts on it later this month. The title releases on February 1.






I shared that Todd had given me Victoria The Essential Tea Companion: Favorite Recipes for Tea Parties and Celebrations by Kim Waller for Christmas. I'll continue to page through it this month as we prepare for a BIG tea party event next month!



In keeping with the *tea* theme, I've got a new kindle read: Relaxing Over Afternoon Tea (Abbey Cooks Entertain) (Volume 3) by Pamela J. Foster of Downton Abbey Cooks (blog) fame! The book is filled with lovely tidbits and recipes and tea necessities! A great book for musing over a cup of tea!! Downton Abbey fans will love this book (and her blog, too).



And finally, for this month, I will faithfully pour over my January/February TeaTime Magazine. This is my all-time favorite magazine! This month features a story about Downton Abbey, a Valentine's tea party, the history of Bigelow tea (which was an interesting read) and many other fascinating items (as well as loads of beautiful tea ware and china pictures). Another afternoon read to pair with a cup of hot tea!


So, that's enough it for me!  What are you reading this month?  Any reading challenges for the New Year? Be sure to stop by Sarah's blog to see what she and everyone else are reading!!

:)

6 noted . . .:

Sarah said...

Looks like you will have a very tea filled month - not entirely unexpected! Are you planning a birthday party next month? I just renewed my TeaTime subscription so I'm still waiting for my J/F edition to arrive. I jumped when I saw the Count it Joy book - thinking you had become an author without telling us!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I am reading John this month, in the Bible....I read the Bible a lot but am trying to do this slowly during prayer time. Then given all that is going on in the world today, last month I ordered a used copy online of the Qu'ran, out of curiousity. A 9 lb TOME appeared. It's a highly recommended translation. I have read some Buddhist scriptures and books as well in the past and ongoing...to be fair to them and our Bible I do not find the Qu'ran very inspiring but I decided to be fair and read it. It's very much like the O.T in regards to fire and brimstone so far....

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like a great year of reading for you. I just finished Jennifer Worth's Trilogy - excellent.

Janet O. said...

No surprise to find so many "tea" themed books. : )
The first book on the list (besides the Bible) has a very catchy title, don't you think?
I don't join reading challenges because I like to read what strikes me at the time. I read to relax or learn, but I never know how much reading time I will get in a week (besides morning scripture devotional), and I don't need to create structure and stress in something that I need to be non-stressful. Does that just sound like a lot of rationalization? *LOL*

Teresa in Music City said...

Love the Jeremiah book - may have to pick that one up! I've been reading more this past year and remembering how much it feeds my soul. But like Janet O., I really like to forego the planning and just read what speaks to me at a particular moment in time. I do belong to a book club, so at least one book a month is planned - that's enough planning for me :)

Kate said...

Nothing on my reading radar this month. Looks like you've got some good books to keep the chill at bay.