Saturday, January 09, 2016

stitcher-rific . . .

I made up that word, "stitcher-rific" . . . it perfectly describes my week!  I was able to take what I started last Sunday and finish it up on Monday . . .
That's a stack of houses!

Then Tuesday, I was able to meet up with my Stitcher's Etc. group for a fun evening of stitching:
This is such a great group of gals!  I so appreciate the camaraderie we share! That night I worked on sorting and grouping all the 'birthday chrysanthemums' I'd received last year.

Thursday I did some more quiet stitching.  Friday I spend getting ready for our first ever Camp MACOBA Special Recognition Banquet.  It was well attended and went well -- I was very pleased and proud of my sweet husband, too!

This morning, we headed over to Casa Merkel to celebrate FOUR YEARS with our sweet little Ellie!
I can hardly believe she is four (or will be tomorrow, the tenth).  Where have the last four years gone?  Joc, as usual, did a great job with the theme (pancakes and pj's) and pulling everything together.  Check out this cake:
Isn't it just darling??!  And it was absolutely delicious, too!  Todd and I grabbed a quick shot with the b-day girl herself . . .
Love that Ellie Pearl!!

Then, this afternoon, I came home and headed into the Nook, where I killed not one, not two, but THREE birds with one stone.  Rather, knocked out three goals with one quilt project!  I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out how to finish this Christmas Hexie UFO.  I liked the idea of finishing it like this hexagon mat, *but* I didn't like how putting it together that way distorted the outside hexie pieces -- by a 1/4".  But I finally had the **BRILLIANT** idea to applique the hexie piece to a piece of muslin.  
Then I put right sides together with my backing (and the batting on the bottom) and stitched all around the edge of the applique, leaving a 3" opening to pull it all through. The result was this . . .
I'm very pleased!  After a trim job and working with my "purple thang" and the iron, it looks pretty durn good!
All that was left was a little bippity-boppity-stitchity . . .
That ladder stitch really is magic when it comes to closing gaps in the seam like that!

Now I'm all set up to do some hand-quilting on this piece and wrap it up . . . my slow Sunday stitching, if you will!
I'll just stitch around the hexie centers with a simple little stitch-in-the-ditch. Nothing elaborate.

Aaaaaand . . . it put a little 'usage' dent in my stash, too!!
Three birds goals! UFO, slow Sunday stitching and stash usage. Yay! That's one stitcher-rific project!

Linking up with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts! Enjoy the weekend!

:)

21 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

You have had a really fun stitching week!
That daughter of yours sure knows how to throw a party! Wonderful pancake cake. : )
Your hexie mat turned out great! Very clever of you.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the idea of a pancake and pj party!! And using one project to complete 3 goals - yippiee!!

Libby in TN said...

Great solution, Denise!

Sarah said...

I had forgotten about your twisted hexie project - looks great!
Will you Joc come do my bday next week? Fantastic theme and the cake was spot on! Happy Birthday Elliebellie!!!
BTW ur stash numbers are looking great already.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute hexie project, and, best of all, FINISHED! That cake was cute, too!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love the "Let them eat pancakes" sign! Cute cake! Nice to have a Christmas project done well in advance.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

What a great party theme, very creative indeed. I love the look of a knife edge finish and your method really makes it easy. Happy Stitching today!

Deb said...

Love how you finished the Hexie Mat, the pancake cake is so cute as is little Ellie.

Kate said...

Happy Birthday to Ellie! Drama Teen's birthday was Friday. How they go from 4 to 17 in the blink of an eye is one of those things I've yet to figure out.

The hexi mat turned out beautifully! Enjoy your slow stitching today. I can only say "WOW" on your stash report. You've had a very good 2016 and we are just starting week three!

Melsquiltingblog said...

Your hexi project came out beautiful.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

You have certainly had a wonderful week all around! EnJOY your final stitching on the hexie project today :)

Teresa in Music City said...

Happy Birthday to the beautiful Miss Ellie Pearl!!! That's an amazing cake - love it! And what a wonderful picture of the three of you :) Your hexie topper turned out wonderful - great finish!

CathieJ said...

Your hexie project is beautiful. That is quite a stack of houses! You got a great picture with the birthday girl.

Cathy said...

Perfect solution for the hexies. That pancake cake is so cute.

Momof3girls said...

The hexie mat turned out beautiful! Your daughter throws wonderful parties. She must be just as creative as you are. She should go into business planning birthday parties for children, since she can come up with such wonderful themes.

I will be starting on a new flower on my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt tomorrow. Go Me!

Missy Shay said...

That was a good idea, I'll have to remember it!

Jennifer said...

Adorable cake and little girl :)
Great finish on your hexie project!

Jean(ie) said...

Yum. Cake! I like cake!
Do you ever take time to breathe? Lol! Just kidding. Love the hexes.

Ellen said...

So much fun! I am glad that you found a solution to your hexi 'problem' and it turned out great.

Beth in MN said...

Your little Miss Ellie is adorable. That cake is only too cute.
The Christmas Hexie UFO turned out great. Wonderful problem solving. All together, it looked like a fun, busy week.
Hugs,

Nancy said...

Stitcher-rific is a great word! And I love the photo of you with the little birthday girl. She looks adorable!
Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)