Sunday, January 24, 2016

girls guild snow sew . . .

With emphasis on the sew!

I enjoyed another really productive week.  Really, really productive.  But before I get to that, I had some really cute helpers at work on Thursday . . .
Aren't they sweet in their matchy-matchy outfits?  They're both growing so quickly. They love to play with the magnets on the desk, which keeps them entertained so their mama and I can visit for a bit, too!  :)

Thursday evening was guild night, and I'd read on the Fabric Therapy blog that Teresa was considering driving into Huntsville to attend the meeting (she's just moved to Alabama in the past six months or so). I emailed her and suggested that I couldn't make the meeting, but I was having dinner with my Stitcher's group beforehand, and she was welcome to join us and meet a few gals beforehand.
She took me up on the offer, so I got to meet another quilter-blogger-sister! It was fun! If you haven't ever visited her blog, you should do so . . . she's very talented and among other things, she creates the most darling applique blocks!!

I took opportunities to stitch all week long . . . which is a little tough, as cold as it's been, because it takes a while to warm the Nook up to comfortable temps! But I've been determined and it's paid off nicely. Not only did I finish my two January ornaments, but finished an additional two, as well!
I found another 'kit' for a mini yo-yo Christmas tree, but I haven't put it together yet.  Next month I'll definitely try the gingerbread man ornaments.

I also finished two sets of the swap blocks this week . . .
(Just showing one set.) Only fourteen more sets to go! I'm using "The Method" for piecing these nine patches.  It's simple, quick, and easy, and I end up with two perfect blocks -- a negative and a positive -- with each pairing. I can see where this method would be particularly nice when piecing up smaller blocks!

Friday afternoon it started snowing. It was a pretty decent little snowfall, considering we're in the Heart of Dixie!
I had to wear my boots to and from the Nook, so as not to track snow and 'muck' into my room!
Saturday I could leave them on the porch, but Friday evening I had to pull them inside and leave them over the trashcan. Otherwise they'd have been filled with snow when I went to put them back on!

I tackled two UFOs to a near finish.  My antique rose block (which remains unnamed) is in the process of being hand-quilted.
I finished it like I did the twisted Christmas Hexie topper.

And I finally got off my duff and did something with the HST, faux ruched flowers piece. It's unnamed, too. 
It's now back, quilted and in the process of having the binding stitched on! Between this and the other, I'll have my choice of hand-stitching for this afternoon's slow stitching.

I used a touch of stash; between backings and bindings, it was a solid three-quarters of a yard!  I'll nickel and dime that stash on down!
Progress is progress, right?

Linking up this morning with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts.  Have a blessing-filled Sunday and stay warm!!

:)

24 noted . . .:

WyoPat said...

I love the ornaments, especially the snowman and the candy cane!

Charlene S said...

The only way to eat an elephant is one small bite at a time while chewing away. I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing.

Kate said...

You had a great week of stitching. Those ornaments are so cute. Congrats on the almost finishes. To have two almost done has to be such a good feeling.

gpc said...

The girls are adorable! And what fun! Your work is always delightful. :) This has been a strange winter, for sure. Here in Michigan, we generally expect a lot more snow and cold . . . but I am not complaining about the lack!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I am drooling over your wool snowman ornament! Too cute! I love "the method" of making nine patches. Great way to use charm packs for cute little nine patches.

Teresa in Music City said...

Well if those aren't the most darling ornaments!!! I have some handmade ornaments for our tree, some go back to my grandmother who made them for my earliest trees, probably mid-70's. There are even a few macrame ornaments I made during my macrame phase that turned out pretty darn cute, if I do so say myself :*) I adore the little snowman! Is there a pattern for that out there somewhere?

Glad you got a little snow at least! It's fun for a little while, but nice when it leaves too. Kinda like guests LOL!!! The sun is out here today, so I imagine we'll have a lot less of the stuff on the ground by tonight. Keep warm!!!

Dee Dee said...

You had a most wonderful week. Just a bit of snow, a visit from your little ones, some sewing and the making of some adorable ornaments! Thanks for the link to making 9 patches.

Barbara B said...

So kind of you to invite Teresa to meet for dinner. I introduced her to the guild. We had 6 NEW members and all were welcomed warmly. She is a great addition to our guild.

Jeanna said...

You have been super busy or shall I say, having fun! I love the little ornaments. Enjoy the snow, while it lasts.

Quilter Kathy said...

Ohhhh you are so lucky to meet Teresa... I am so jealous of you two! What a wonderful treat!
And you have been so busy in spite of the snow...how fun to have your choice of projects for hand stitching today!

Cathy said...

When I was reading Teresa’s blog earlier this week, I thought the Huntsville quilt was the one you go to, and wondered if you would meet up. So glad you did, and I hope you get to see each other often. I’m in the same spot as Kathy, so jealous that you got to meet.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love all the tiny yo-yos. How sweet you got to meet Teresa - a very talented lady indeed.

CathieJ said...

I really like those yo-yo ornaments. I like the others too. I am looking forward to seeing those quilts once they are finished. I am sure you will choose an appropriate name for both of them.

Deb A said...

Such pretty ornaments. Thanks for the link to the 9 patch method. I have some 10 inch squares That I might try those with!

The Cozy Quilter said...

The snowman looks like he is juggling lots of little snowballs! Delightful! You have been busy in your little nook this week. Have a good week.

Momof3girls said...

I just love seeing what you've accomplished and all your little gifts. :) No snow here in central Louisiana. :(

Dar said...

Loved your little ornaments. You will be all ready for Christmas 2016! Cute little ones and their matching outfits too. You have been a busy lady this week and had lots of stuff to show for it. Doesn't it feel good? I was busy as well and hope that it continues through the next week too.

Ellen said...

Your ornaments are adorable! Lucky you to have so many great projects to choose from - no boredom at your place.

Needled Mom said...

Your little helpers are adorable!

I love the ornaments - especially the snowman in the heart. It looks like the effort to sew was well worth it.

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Great progress!

Beth in MN said...

Love you applique blocks. Great job. Makes me think about getting back to doing some applique again. What little cuties to keep you company at work. Living in Minnesota, we have only a little more snow on the ground than you snowfall. It looks so pretty.
Hugs

Janet O. said...

Wow--look at you go!
There is fun all over this post, from little helpers, to meeting a blogger, to PROGRESS!! Yippee!
I especially love the little snowman ornament. I like to think he is thanking Heaven for another snowy day. : )

Ranch Wife said...

You are certainly stitching up some pretty things and I'm so glad you are making the time to do so! It looks like your surprise assistants are taking their job very seriously. A good assistant is priceless and it looks like you've got the best...times 2!

Sarah said...

Progress is definitely progress and you've made a lot! I like your concept of making 2 ornaments every month. Certainly would make December a lot less stressful...