Saturday, January 16, 2016

stitch in . . . stash out . . . stash in . . .

I love Saturday stitch-ins with my Stitchers, Etc. group! I hauled my yardage for our block swap over there today, ready to iron and cut. And so I did!
I got all ninety-six 4-1/2" squares cut for those pretty little 9-patch blocks. I have twenty-two weeks before we swap . . . if I do a modest four/five blocks per week, every week, I'll have 'em done with no problem!

Of course, the problem with a stitch-in is that there is apt to be someone who's brought fabric they no longer want/love. And if it's Christmas fabric, my knees go weak (not to mention my resolve).
So while I used 1.25 yards for the swap blocks, I gained 2.5 yards in Christmas prints. Aye yi yi!! There are some specific projects I have in mind for it though, so hopefully it won't hang around for too long! To that end, here's the Week #03 stash report:
Unfortunately I realized today that I bought way too much yardage for the swap blocks in the first place. I purchased 6.5 yards and I really could have managed with half that. *sigh* I won't complain, since I really love the prints (and I may still use it up for the quilt this swap is working toward), but I wish I'd done the math before hitting the shop. That'll learn me!

One of the gals in our group had an EZ3 hand quilting frame that she'd purchased, never used, and didn't want anymore.  She *gifted* it to me!  I was beyond thrilled . . . actually, I was stunned. It's a really beautiful and versatile frame.
I'll have no trouble using it either in the RV (especially since we now have that sweet living room space) or in the Nook . . . but I was a little concerned about storing it. I think I figured out the answer this afternoon:
Right?  What's the point of having pegboard walls if you can't make them do what you need them to do?! It may end up going a little higher up the wall (or on the back wall) . . . I needed to make sure it could do what I thought it could do, first. I have two quilt tops that need finishing . . . not sure which will end up being the first quilt I load into it!

I finished quilting my Twisted Christmas Hexie topper. I *love* it! After I finished all the stitching-in-the-ditches, I decided it needed a little pop.
So I grabbed some of my holographic Sulky thread and outline-stitched around the center poinsettia (in the focal hexie). But how could I do one and not do them all?? Haha! It was well worth it. It sparkles now!
And now that I've figured out how to finish it in a manner that's pleasing to me and doesn't degrade my hexie shapes, I'll do more of these. I love the look, shape and size of this piece, especially with the full hexie in the center of the half pieces.

I can NOT let this month pass by without getting my two ornaments completed. (It would be really pathetic to forgo my challenge/goal/whatever, within the first month).
So today I cut out my little snow fellow. He'll be my slow stitching for tomorrow afternoon! My sister shot me the idea of doing little gingerbread man ornies in wool . . . they were darling and I plan to give them a go next month!

Linking up on Sunday to Patchwork Times, Kathy's Quilts, and as a special bonus, sarah did it!  For sure check out Sarah's blog -- tomorrow is her monthly HeLP for Hexie-aholics linky party *and* it's her BIRTHDAY!  Party over there, for sure (which means, *giveaway*)! Make sure you stop by and sing Happy Birthday!!

:)

20 noted . . .:

Sarah said...

Your little snow dude is adorable- looking fwd to seeing what you do with him tomorrow. The holographic thread really makes your pointsettias blossom! LOL. What a fantastic gift! When the weather is nice you can sit by the turtle pond or creek and quilt. Thanks for the shout out-can't wait to see all the link ups!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You might need that extra fabric for that 9-patch for borders and binding - be sure to keep it with the project. And pretties came home with you to play.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

How lucky for you to get such a nice frame gifted to you. You are right there is never such a thing as too much fabric!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a nice gift and equally nice that you have a clever storage solution ! :)

CathieJ said...

I love how you accented your table topper. I too am a sucker for Christmas fabrics. I really like the poinsettia fabrics that you added to your stash. That snowman ornament is so sweet. You are definitely keeping the Christmas spirit going into the new year. Enjoy!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great storage solution for your quilting frame! I try hard to stay away from the pile of fabrics given away by fellow guild members...I have "enough" already!!!!! Have fun stitching your snowman today.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Very clever storage solution! Love the little snow fella--he's gonna be cute!

Charlene S said...

When you are finished using those adorable fabrics, you can always send the remains my way.

Kate said...

You started the year with a big purge, so it's OK to freshen up what's left. Your Poinsettia Table Topper turned out beautifully. Enjoy your slow stitching. If your temps are anywhere close to ours, your snowman will feel right at home.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Great idea on storing your frame! I've not done much hand quilting but it would be so nice to have a frame set up and ready to go.

Dar said...

The gifted quilting frame looks like a good one. I like your idea of how to store it too. Very practical and does not take up valuable floor space. Your Christmas topper is beautiful. The sparklely thread is just what it needed. Watch out or all your close friends will want one for their Christmas present.!

1000needles.com said...

Congrats on your gift! That's so cool! :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Good plans, pretty Christmas fabrics, and your snowman is adorable.

Jill said...

I also have a weakness for Christmas fabrics...

Your Twisted Christmas Hexie Topper is so pretty!

Deb said...

The CHristmas fabrics you acquired are lovely, the little ornament is going to be so seet, lovely gifted frame and clever storage for it.

Thequilting around the Poinsettia is great

Missy Shay said...

Your stitch in sounds like fun! What a sweet gift!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I always buy more fabric than is needed. I never know when I will decided to enlarge a quilt, or, do something else, that will require more fabric. Besides, if you only buy what you need, then, either you will cut it wrong, stitch it wrong, or something else, and not have enough.

Kaja said...

What a great gift! I like all your Christmassy fabrics and stitching too - very cheerful in the middle of a grey January.

Ellen said...

Lucky you to receive such a great gift - you have a very generous friend!

Nancy said...

The fabric of those dark squares you cut is beautiful! Christmas fabric doesn't have the pull for me that it does for you but I know I could not have resisted the fabric on the left in that photo. And lucky you to be the recipient of the quilting frame! It's great that it folds flat so you can hang it.