Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Whenever I think to myself that I'm getting what it means to be a Christian, it should be a sure sign that I need to stop myself short and get in God's Word, because I'm clueless.

This morning's devotion from Oswald Chambers, was the Scripture,

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil, but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
I've never had a problem understanding that verse. If someone hits you on one side of the face, turn the other. In other words, don't strike back. But it goes so much more deeply than that! The phrase that caught my attention was,

...but spiritually, if a man does not hit back, it is the manifestation of the Son of God in him.
That was followed by,

When you are insulted, you must not only not resent it, but make it an occasion to exhibit the Son of God. You cannot imitate the disposition of Jesus; it is either there or it is not. To the saint personal insult becomes the occasion of revealing the incredible sweetness of the Lord Jesus.
Wow! What an incredible person Jesus is. I think back on times when I've received an insult in silence, but not in the Spirit of Christ. How I've nurtured that hurt, instead of casting it out in Jesus's name and letting His light takes its place. How silly of me. I can't turn the spiritual "other cheek," but Christ, through me, certainly can!

Second, this caught my attention;

The teaching of the Sermon on the Mount is not -- Do your duty, but -- Do what is not your duty. It is not your duty to go the second mile, to turn the other cheek, but Jesus says that if we are His disciples we shall always do these things.
It's not my duty to do more, to give more, to forgive more--it's the Christ in me that wants that. How freeing is that? Therefore I'm not doing above and beyond in my own power, but through the power of Jesus Christ! Amen!

Last, Chambers summed up something I've been teaching/preaching/trying show by example to my Sunday School ladies. Never look for right in others, but never cease to be right yourself. In my words, instead of picking out the faults of others and expressing my needs, I need to be focused on correcting my faults and meeting the needs of others.

Lord, more of You, and less of me. Thank you!

:)

0 left a comment . . .: