Friday, October 28, 2011

40-block journey . . .

Look -- a post from me that actually records actual quilting work! LOL! Yesterday morning I realized I had two days to complete forty blocks (yes, *40*) for a swap we're doing in our Stitcher's Group on Saturday.

*gulp*

And this is the block. It's a really cool looking block and we are doing it in Civil War fabrics. I'd picked out my four fabrics: we're to do twenty with two colors -- a dark and a shirting -- and twenty with two other colors. Or we could mix and match, but the object is to have two different blocks for each woman participating. Luckily I'd already gotten my fabric and washed it and cut it (I wasn't that far behind the eight ball), it was just a manner of stitching and constructing.

The thing is, I wasn't sure how stitching would be on the machine, with the cast. Uh, yeah. The nice thing was, since my sewing table is down, I set up at Todd's desk (he was on shift yesterday). Look what a great view I had while I was sewing! Of course, it was a dark and grey day, but still. So at 7:30, I got busy.

I stitched my strips, cut them up and made my four patches.

At 10:30 the view was pretty much the same out my window.

All my four-patches were stitched together and I needed to "pop" that back center seam.

You flip the block and gently give that long seam a tug. See how where the four seams meet, they separate?

Press flat and Voila! Look, it's a little teeny, tiny baby four-patch on the back!

But it does allow the block to lay flatter, which is great, especially if you've got a bunch of them in a block, and a lot of those blocks in your quilt! The popping and pressing actually went pretty quickly.

I should note here that just after lunchtime, I had a couple of (very welcome) visitors. Kim and Sawyer stopped by to chat! If they'd done nothing else but come to the door, the grin he gave me when he saw me -- you know, the one that said, Hey! I know you and I like you and I'm glad to see you! -- did me sooooo much good!!

It was mostly a quiet visit. He sat with me on the couch most of the time, looking at pictures with me or looking out the window. He *loves* to sit at the computer and press keys. Yesterday I pulled up the paint program and let him go. This is his first computer drawing. LOL! Oh, well, I put his name in there. But he's so smart, it won't be long before he's doing it himself. :)

After they left, I headed back to the sewing arena. And stitched and pressed and lined up and pinned and stitched some more.

Oh look! The view at 2:00 is still the same! LOL! I don't think the light changed one bit all day long!

Finally I had all my four-patches done and ready to put together!

Whoopsie! Ugh. I hate it when that happens. I did that with three different blocks. But for the last one -- and it literally was my last one -- it took me ripping it apart gently removing the threads from seams THREE TIMES before my muddled mind could get it together. I think I may have started praying the serenity prayer at this point. Good gravy. I marked it to make sure I got that one in the swap. LOL!

One down -- nineteen to go in this color. Thirty-nine to go total. Oh wait, let's not think like that, I might have a meltdown. Only nineteen more!!

At 4:30 the view look ... well, you know ... the same. Except, and I'd been hoping for this all day, I caught a glimpse of movement. The deer had come up to check out the corn, and often times they'll head out on a path they've created off the backside of the RV -- right out that window. The two babies (although they don't have any spots left) were wandering up. I'm sorry to say I sat there watching them, transfixed, before I thought to get the camera. By then they were on the move and the photo I caught was blurry.

And finally . . . TAH DAH!

Twenty Journey Steps blocks, all ready to go! I have to admit, it occurred to me yesterday that I'll be swapping blocks with women who've been quilting for 20, 30, and 40+ years. Women who've won ribbons for their quilts and women who've had their quilts juried into big shows like Paducah, Houston, and Atlanta -- and won ribbons there. I'm the baby quilter of the group. I've only been quilting for five years (and I'm not sure the first year really counts) and it's not like I've done a LOT of it in those years. I work really hard to do things the right way, but I know my blocks aren't perfect. It's cause for a lot of angst. Quilter's angst.

What was I thinking?!?

Oh well, I don't have time for that now. I have twenty more blocks to complete. Swap tomorrow. Gotta go, get to sew! If stitching is therapy, I should be good for a while . . .

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Deanna said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I can't decide what I am more jealous of: all that sewing time or your beautiful work. :) Well done. Keep stitching.

Michelle said...

Your blocks are perfect...no worries! That's a fun swap...can't wait to see the blocks you get back. :)

Paula said...

Great job! So how was sewing with a cast?
You simply amaze me!
Hugs

big B said...

Really impressive! Your blocks look beautiful. What a gorgeous view to work with - I love the fall colors!

Editfolt said...

My sewing machines of Janome.
Very great job! Go, go for it ....

Cathy said...

They look wonderful, so don't be so hard on yourself. This quilt that you are working on is on my want-to-do list. Did you get all of the blocks done?

Pat said...

YIKES...I think I recall this project when you first mentioned it and I thought you had to do 40 blocks in just a day or two and we had a laugh about that as you reassured me that was NOT the case. Oh, my....now it turned out that WAS the case......but I think you have it all under control!

Pat said...

Oh, yes...I need to study that way you deal with those seams in the back.....I have seen others do it but don't know how to do it myself. You make it sound so easy!!!

Rachel's Quilts said...

Your blocks look great. Look forward to seeing the other 20 and the blocks you get in the swap.

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

I would love to learn to do this! Such talent.

Mary said...

Thanks for the reminder to Pop that back seam. I forgot that you were in a cast. how does the seam ripping go with that? Glad you got some time with your grandson. He did great on his computer drawing. Quilter's Angst...I know what that is...

Linda in Calif. said...

I so enjoyed your post today. It actually makes me want to go sew. You are so lucky to have such a beautiful scene before you. Great job getting all the blocks done. And I'm sure everyone will greatly appreciate and love them too!!

Sarah said...

Wow that's a lot of sewing for one day and still another day to go. Your blocks look great and I'm sure your friends won't find any problems at all since we tend to over criticize our own work. I think, however, I would have taken a loooooong wine or chocolate break after that triple frogged seam.

Connie said...

Your blocks are beautiful and don't worry about someone not liking them! It was fun looking out your window while you sewed! Good luck with the other 20!
Quilting by the River

Jean said...

Look at you go! Getting back on the machine... your blocks will be fine.

Like they say in the south, hush your mouth and don't be so hard on yourself! You blocks will be just fine!