Monday, September 17, 2012

design electromagnetic delay line . . .

I dunno ... I looked up rhymes for "design" and electromagnetic delay line was the only 9-syllable rhyme there was.  It made me giggle.  It might actually be a little appropriate:  a delay line based on the time of propagation of electromagnetic waves

That's how I feel like all my design wall goals of last week were handled.  Delayed.  Because other things were propagated.  But really, if you commented on a sweet friend's blog how much you liked a particular pattern she was posting about, and she turned around and sent you the magazine the pattern was in ... and a sweet little charm pack ... wouldn't you feel compelled to drop everything else and play with the new pattern??!!  Well that's exactly what happened when I mentioned to Karin, over at Lovin' Life at the End of the Dirt Road, how much I really liked the little hexagon table topper on the cover of the magazine she'd posted.

See what arrived on Thursday?!  Karin, thank you!!!!
This is the first time ever I've worked with hexagons.  It was such FUN!  I really did adore playing with them and they went together so quickly! 
I'm sure (no really, I KNOW for sure) that I have some learning to do -- luckily my friend Sarah, at Sarah Did It! is an *expert* hexie obsess-or quilter, and she's already answered several questions for me! 
I had to make my own [huge] templates, but I used cardstock and they held up nicely and I'm saving them because I can see this darling little thing in a Christmas theme, too!  Linking up with HeLP for Hexie-aholics!

So I've still got to quilt the little hexie topper . . . as well as the rest of the stuff from last week's design wall.  But I did finish up my Grandmother's Choice BOW for week three - Union Square!
Don't ask how long it took me.  Ridiculous.  But I really want these blocks to be very well constructed.  They look so pretty on the design window together!


I didn't do a thing towards my 25th Anniversary BOM blocks.  Aye yi yi!  I'm not sure that's going to happen.  Linking up today with Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and What a Hoot's BOMs Away!

And before I cut out for the day, thought I'd share a few more photos from the Athen's quilt show . . .
Quilted Gingerbread House -- this was an HQH workshop.  Isn't it cute?! 
Tree face! 
This just struck me as a "me" kind of quilt.  :) 
Love the batiks in this one! 
My photo doesn't do this one justice -- it was really darling. 
This Pineapple Log Cabin was one of the bed turning quilts.
I just thought it was gorgeous!
Have a *marvelous* Monday!!

:)

21 left a comment . . .:

Momof3girls said...

I like the hexies too. The quilt that I'm making for myself is Grandmother's Flower Garden and is small hexies. I like the look of the larger ones. I may have to try that. I believe that it is my mom's favorite quilting pattern. She and her mother worked together to make a quilt, but then my granny passed away and didn't see the finished product. She would have been so proud. I like the fall piece you did with the hexies.

I absolutely love the gingerbread house. It's hard to believe that it's quilted. It is just beautiful.

I like the union square block. It is really pretty. The colors go very well together.

I don't care for the tree face though. That's not my type of quilting. I do like the quilt with the stars though. I like the fall quilt too.

Happy Sewing! I will be working on name pillows today.

Teresaquilts said...

I was really surprised when scrolling down your blog and see pictures from the Athens quilt show. We must be neighbors and just didn't know it. I have been a member of the Athens guild for 12 years but have moved out of Athens. I still go back to meetings. You got some pictures I didn't but wasn't it a good show.

Susan said...

Your hexi topper is wonderful and your BOW is coming along nicely too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, another Hexie fan in the making! Lovely blocks. I was surprised at the 'bed turning' - they weren't using gloves handling these, or were they not antique?

Lea said...

The gingerbread house is so cute! :)

Bonnie said...

Wow you are fast! You got the mag on Thursday and the quilt top is embroidered and hexies sewn together by Monday morning. Outstanding.

Re: white gloves. The Virginia Quilt Museum curator told me a year or two ago that they are rethinking wearing white gloves while handling antique quilts. I don't remember why. Can't remember whether they used the gloves at the American History Museum quilt tour we took at the beginning of the year....

Paula said...

I love working with hexie's. So glad you are joining all of us that do. They are so very addictive.
You quilt show was fabulous. Love the pineapple log cabin.
Have a great week.
Hugs

Mary said...

Cute Autumn Hexies. Lucky you! Love the Bed Turning idea. Maybe a suggestion for the Local Featured Quilter next year when we run out of space for Quilts. The Gingerbread house is perfect for the up-coming season. No calories! Your Title of this post made me come see what you were doing...

Janet O. said...

Woman, can you get any more lucky??? This wasn't even a win--it was sent to you just because!
Oh, I am laughing at the thought of you getting help from Sarah on your hexies! You two are SO much alike--if she gets you into her hexie obsession I'm afraid you are a goner! That is seriously such a cute little topper you made. : )

AnnieO said...

Adorable topper--love the embroidered ones bunches. Your blocks are very very nice!

big B said...

Denise - The topper is so sweet! The blocks are beautiful too - I love the blue/red color combinations - really pretty!
-Kim

Vicki said...

adorable hexie quilt. I love your bow and the colors are great! I think that you will be so happy with it when you are done. I think taking my time makes a huge difference in my piecing.

blueberrymoon said...

Your Hexies are fabulous!!! And those blocks. You have been a busy one! You definitely deserve a "just because" !!! Because you are so very nice girl!!!

Missy Shay said...

Your table topper turned out great!

Sarah said...

LOL - I almost asked you on Friday if you were making the topper since you mentioned larger hexies. Yours looks great! I ought to make one of those... Oh wait - instead I need 3 kitties for the 3 stitcheries with some cat type fabrics!!!

Sarah said...

I forgot to add - thanks for joining HeLP and spreading the word :)

Gmama Jane said...

I agree about that fall quilt being a 'Denise' quilt!! I love your hexies too! I'm always wanting to get started on hexies. I began some a long time ago and then...well you know...life happens!
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Kate said...

Love your hexies! They are addicting!

Your GC BOW blocks are all beautiful. I especially like this week's block(I think I said that about last weeks too?)

Agnes B Bullock said...

I bought that magazine because of the hexies on the cover- have never done them before either! Used a charm pack of dotted fabrics from a swap and made four hexie patterns from no melt mylar, then cut, starched and ironed them in front of the tv before sewing them together- made a largish table runner, but loved how it came out. Already have Halloween and Christmas charm packs waiting their turn!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Wonderful post, I am new to your blog and enjoyed viewing past posts!

I plucked that magazine lso from the stand--- because of the cover and hexies! Yours turned out darling!

I will visit you again, soon!

Carolyn :)

LynCC said...

So much good stuff to look at. :D Love, love your hexies. That's something I will definite explore in the future. Good work getting a BOW finished! I really HAVE to get something sewn this week so I can post something on BOMs Away other than an entertainment pic!