Monday, March 18, 2013

a successful national quilting day celebration . . .

What a fun weekend!!  Our guild's pancake breakfast fundraiser and the scavenger hunt that followed were both huge successes.  I had a BLAST!  Mostly because I was part of a great team . . .
We were "The Bloomers".  We didn't win (though we were close) but we had a lot of fun and collected all our clues! We drove close to two hundred miles. Yikes! One of our tasks was to grab a picture of the shop with the most thread on display . . . 
I was so tickled that I could take a panographic shot!  It really was a LOT of thread!

We also did lots and *lots* of great shopping.  I tried to purchase a little something from every shop:
I tried and succeeded!  LOL!!  Lots of fun things. Several were freebies. I picked up the specialty thread I needed for an upcoming swap. We also got some nice freebies. The SEW embellished! book caught my eye right away and felt like a needful thing. (Haha!) Notice what's not there??  

Not a single bit of fabric.  Not even a fat quarter!!  LOL!!  Consequently, my stash report has a little movement on the outflow and none on the inflow:

Used/donated this week: 1.5 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 12.0 yards
Purchased/added this week: 0.0 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 37.0 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -25.0 yards

I was actually pretty impressed that I managed to shop for five hours ... in fabric stores ... and not purchase the first yard. I truly just didn't see anything that "called" me. Lots of pretty stuff, though, trust me! 

I did get these fun Kanzashi flower makers ... there are several different templates available and I got three of them.  I tried my hand at a couple of flowers Saturday night . . .
Are they darling?  And they took no time at all.  I see matchy-matchy dresses and flowers for barrettes or headbands.  That's what I see!

Sunday I enjoyed the lovely, lovely weather ... I took some fun shots of the camp, too . . .
Everything's starting to bloom out ... and even the fishes were out, finally!  And they were hungry, too.  Wish I'd had Sawyer with me.  He'll make a good fish-feeder, I have no doubt!!

And since it was quiet, I had the afternoon/evening to finish up my Crazy Quilting course!  Whoohoo!!!
I'm so happy to have successfully completed the class -- and to have such a pretty set of stitching tools, to boot!  Now I'm itching to create my first solo block, which will definitely be tea-themed.

Nothing really on the design wall per se.  I've got Joc's wedding quilt to work on, still, as well as the pineapple center to put together (for this month's "get 'er done") and I've got this month's doll swap quilt to work on.  I've got the overall design/theme . . . 
I am just trying to decide which way I want to go with the Irish chains!  Any thoughts?  I posted the two pics on facebook and have had some great feedback!  I'm really wishy-washy on this one.  I guess because it's not for me?  

Linking up today's post to Stash Report #11 and Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and to Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy's Quilts!

I've got a lot of ministry / Camp MACOBA catch-up to do this week.  So that's on my calendar and will keep me from stitching today and tomorrow, probably.  But last week's time with family was *totally* worth it!  And we had a glorious weekend for our campers -- and our D-Now girls came in and did a FABULOUS job in their service project!  So even though it's raining and grey today, the camp looks *super*!  Have a great week, y'all!

:)

12 noted . . .:

Janet O. said...

Looks like you had so much fun--and NO fabric! Wow!! But it must have been tough to try and find something to buy in each store. Sometimes goals are so hard to reach! : )
I wish there was a store near me with anythign close to that much thread!
Those little flowers are so pretty--as are your finished "Crazy" projects!
Can't put my finger on why, but I prefer the Irish Chain design on the right.

Quilter Kathy said...

I am still in shock that you didn't actually buy fabric?!? I just can't even picture that happening to me! LOL
So great that you were able to keep up with your crazy quilting class and finish your projects! Thanks for linking up and sharing!

Barbara F. said...

Looks like a great time was had by all, you scored some nice supplies, too. xo

Paula said...

Sounds like you had a great time. WOW! all that thread. I would love to go to that shop. Where is it? I love the flowers you are making. So interesting. It is a gray day here and the snowing is coming down. We are under a winter storm advisory. So, we are homebound for today. Hugs

Doniene said...

No fabric - what's wrong with you, girl!! LOL Oh but what wonderful loot you did come home with!! (bad grammar, I know, I know!! LOL)

Okay, I usually don't put my two cents worth (not sure it's even worth that!! lol) on quilt settings, because it is such a personal thing - but contrary to Janet (which surprises me - we usually see most things the same - but I prefer the setting on the left for the Irish Chain. I think the chain "draws" my eye around the bird blocks where as the other focuses on the Irish Chain! Okay there is it a penny for my thoughts!!

Blessings

Jean(ie) said...

Man, I was counting on you to buy fabric. LOL! I gotta live vicariously through someone!

Have a good week.

Mary said...

You didn't buy even a FQ? Amazing restraint on your part. I like both versions of the Irish Chain quilts. Depends on how many chain blocks you want to make basically! I will watch and see those matchy matchy dresses to go with your pretty flowers. Ellie and June are going to look so cute!

Teresa in Music City said...

Looks like you've been having WAY too much fun!!! Love those flowers! You'll have to blog about them a little more - very intriguing :*) I'm hoping to catch up with past posts soon!

Needled Mom said...

Wow....look at those threads!! It does look like you had a great time.

Those flowers are fascinating. They look complicated to make.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I was nice, and purchased material for you, to save your stash numbers ;) Love your crazy quilty items that you finished.

Sarah said...

I've tried one or 2 of the kanzashi flowers but yours look sew much better in batiks!!! I'll need to try them too. Can't wait to see your tea themed CQ project. Last night I made some iced tea from Teavana's aztec fire - I'll find out tonight if it tastes good iced.

Kate said...

What a busy weekend. Congrats on being in so many quilt shops and not adding to your stash. That is an achievement!