Monday, March 04, 2013

spiders, webs, snow, and stitching . . .

What a fun weekend!!  Saturday, since Todd was on shift, I spent some time with the young Panter family.  June and Kim were out and about, so James, Sawyer and I went to lunch at Burger King ... 
And then I went back to their home and spent the afternoon and evening.  Such a fun little family!!
I can't get over how quickly June is growing!  She's such a happy, bubbly little thing -- and she's definitely got her daddy wrapped around her little finger!

I shared pictures of a promising spring at the camp on Friday ... today I have pictures of a winter wonderland!  At least, what passes as winter wonderland in North Alabama in March:

The flurries were non-stop from Friday evening through Saturday, but we never saw more than a dusting on the trees and a bit on the ground where the leaves were.
Still, it was very pretty and sure did make Sawyer smile!  He sang "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" all day long!  

As I drove out of the camp on Saturday, I noticed that the snow was sticking to the spider's webs in the little trees along the drive.  It's hard to see in the picture, but it sure was gorgeous and lacy!
I wish I could have gotten a better capture!  And how timely it was ... I'd just finished up my beaded spider on my CQ block . . .
And I've got the beading finished on my matching pin cushion, too.  I hope to have lesson 6 finished up today.
Boy, there is a LOT more to bead embellishing than I'd have imagined.  When I first purchased the beads I've got, I thought they were SO small.  Little (pardon the pun) did I know!  I definitely need some teeny-tinier beads to do the things I want to do!  My fabric stash may not get too much more enhancing ... I'll be too busy enhancing my collection of embellishments!!!

And speaking of beaded spiders, I think Ellie may already have caught the embroidery bug ... she's definitely showing great interest in my stitching . . .
She's a tactile person, like me, and loves to get a sense of something by touching it.  She rubbed all the metallic flowers and made little 'oooh' and 'aaahs' as she did.  I love this one as she pulls my stitching up close, for true inspection:
Oh yeah, we'll be getting her started at an early age!

After being so ambititious with my March goals, I decided I'd better go ahead and get the hoop out and get working on the wedding quilt.  For starters, I just plan to stitch-in-the-ditch around each of the blocks.  I don't know where (or if) I'll go from there.  So far I've got four blocks done . . .
One forty-six more to go!  Who knows, I could actually finish this up this month! Bahahaa!!

The theme for this month's doll swap is 'animals'.  My swap partner loves cats and cardinals (just like me)!
Since I already have that beautiful cardinal print, I thought it might be fun to use it.  And since it is March, I figured that an Irish Chain block would be the perfect setting!  I'll have to go through my stash and see what I can do to put this EQ mock-up into being.

I also have been wanting to do a table topper piece for Cindy, the owner of Grand Oak Retreat, to match her gate (my design--see HERE and HERE).  
These two are my top favorite colorscapes.  I really did want to include the bars from the gate -- and so the openings are blue.  I think I prefer the batik over the other, but I haven't quite decided yet.  Any thoughts?

So that's what's going on here ... I should do a stash report (because I do have stuff to report!) but I'm not ready yet, so perhaps I'll update with that on Wednesday! Today I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts!

:)

18 sweet people commented:

Quilter Kathy said...

LOVE your bead stitchery! I made it as big as I could on my screen!
So wonderful to see the quilt in your hoop... what an amazing gift!
Thanks for linking up!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Beautiful projects and adorable grands!!!

:) Carolyn

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Beautiful projects and adorable grands!!!

:) Carolyn

Lee D said...

omg you are one busy lady. I can hardly keep up. your embroidery is looking wonderful.

Sarah said...

I was beginning to think June was getting shorted with Blog time but she just seems to have the busiest of schedules! Ellie is learning close inspection but I'll stay far away from that spider!

Lyndsey said...

Your bead embellishment is beautiful and I love your colours. June certainly has grown and is such a cute little girl.

Chris said...

You have so many great things going on. The stitching is gorgeous.

Mary said...

Cute how Ellie looks at it up close. Baby June is growing right before your eyes. Such cuties you have to enjoy! Stash, Smash what new fabrics??? I'd play dumb if I bought too much this week...LOL

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thay are all so sweet!I can see why you enjoy your time with them.

Needled Mom said...

I love your stitching inspector!!!

Doniene said...

Another great post!!! Lovely grands!!! Sure tug at the heart strings!! As always, lovely projects!!

Blessings

Jean(ie) said...

That beading is beautiful! I know what you mean about the beads being much larger than you imagined. The same happened to me.

I can so see you doing an I-spy crazy quilt with your embellishing. Perfect for the wee ones to study.

Janet O. said...

So many wonderful things here, Denise--cute grandkids, nature, your beautiful crazy quilt stitching, hand quilting, an Irish chain, and I do like the batik table topper the best of the two. Nice gesture to make that gift!

Cathy said...

I love that picture of James and June!! And Ellie looks like she's concentrating so hard on stitching away on that quilt square... so very cute. And the beading..... gor-gee-us!! I love the spider that looks like it is building away on the spider web. So much detail. You're doing fabulous work there.

Linda in Calif. said...

The spider is great and I love how the web comes right down to him. Just beautiful -as is Ellie! Really cute pictures of her.

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow - so much going on!!! Best of all - ELLIE TOUCHING THE STITCHERY!!! OMG - that is precious!!! Yep, you've got a future stitcher there alright :*) Looks like you got the same weather we got - some pretty snow that didn't stick around any time at all. Love the spiderweb shot!

Kate said...

The beaded spider is so cute. Your CQ block and matching pin cushion are both gorgeous projects.

I like the idea you have for your doll quilt (but I'm a cardinal fan as well). I think I like the color scheme in the second example of the table topper better than the first one, but both are pretty.

Sheila said...

Wonderful embroidery and loved seeing your granddaughter admiring your work. Beautiful quilt too, lots of great projects !