Tuesday, March 04, 2014

march's bibliophile files . . .

I think I've finally settled into a nice routine for posting . . . one I can live with and have some breathing room. I like to post on Mondays ... get my week geared up, show off my design wall (or not, as the case may be). Come back again on Wednesdays with a mid-week update (and share my grandchildren antics) and close out Friday with fluff, fur and felines.  I'm trying to schedule a book review every Saturday (I have some catching up to do) and I actually do double-duty on Saturdays by pre-writing/scheduling my Stash Report/15 Minutes Report/Slow Sunday Stitching post.

That being said, it *is* the first Tuesday of the month and that means it's time for the Bibliophiles Files Challenge that is being hosted by sarah did it!

I aced last month's challenge like a champ and even had time to do some extraneous reading -- and not just magazines.  LOL!  This month's lineup is another good one and I'm already well on my way towards busting my challenge. 

For my review book, I'm challenging myself to two (though I hope to actually review four).  One is a hard copy I just received from Moody Publishers, The Art of Story Telling: Easy Steps to Presenting An Unforgettable Story by John Walsh. Doesn't that sound interesting? 



The second review book is one from Spiegel & Grau publishers, due for release April, 2014. It's called
The Frangipani Hotel by Violet Kupersmith and is a compilation of stories that grapple with the legacy of the Vietnam War. It's not my usual fare, but something about this one struck me. Perhaps I've seen Miss Saigon too many times.  Or I liked the way Frangipani sounds in my head.  ;)



My recommended book this month comes (again) by way of one of my favorite tea bloggers, Angela McRae, who recommended Serendiptea: A Guide To The Varieties, Origins, And Rituals Of Tea by Tomislav Podreka, in a blog post a couple of years ago. I was stalking scrolling through her blog last month and stumbled upon her review.  I then quickly found a used copy for pennies on Amazon and scooped it up.



I also have two library books this month, but mostly because I got them both on March 1 and finished the first and am halfway through the second.  Yes.  Both are that good!  The first was The Dressmaker by Kate Albott.  A great historical fiction read based on the congressional inquiry that followed the sinking of the Titanic.  Albott is a terrific storyteller and masterfully handled weaving truth with fiction.  I highly recommend it.


My second library book is another one compliments of Davis Bunn, My Soul To Keep. Unlike his last three, which were filled with intrigue, action and thrills, this one is based on the resurgence of an actor who demolished his career (and another's) after too many drinks and a horrific car accident.  I'll finish this one lickety-split!


The last part of my monthly challenge is a book that speaks to strengthening my faith/walk.  I chose The Christian Atheist: Believing in God but Living As If He Doesn't Exist by Craig Groeschel.  We're walking through this series in my Sunday School class and I wanted to read his book.  (Yes, I'm *that* student.)

So, there's my "March Madness" lineup . . . what are you reading this month? Head on over and share your tall tales with the March Bibliophiles Files linky party!

:)

6 sweet people commented:

Pat said...

WOW!!!! You really did a bang-up job of book reviewing!!! I still cannot get back into a regular blogging routine. Facebook seems to be more suited to my lifestyle right now.

Sarah said...

You are sooooo much better at this book review thing than me!! The art of story telling sounds interesting. Did I ever tell you I almost won a story telling contest in elementary school? or that when giving my lighthouse tours one person actually asked if I had been in 4-H? He could tell from the story I was telling. I kinda miss those days...

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I am having a hard time getting into a good blogging routine as well. It seems like the days just fly by. I added The Dressmaker to my reading list, it looks right up my alley!

Jean(ie) said...

I loved The Dressmaker, It was a good book. Caught that one through the Overdrive audio app. Just finished reading the eBook The Orphan Train. YOu'd like that one.

Kate said...

That's an ambitious list. I need to find a couple of books for spring break reading. I need to order those Davis Burn books you reviewed last month.

Sherrill said...

WOW!! Doesn't "The Christian Atheist" really make you think about your walk? The title is rather disconcerting isn't it? I read that right after it came out and shared with a few of my friends.