Saturday, November 22, 2014

a rousing end . . .

Last night was our regular guild meeting and I was really looking forward to it. We did a round robin of easy holiday crafts and I was one of the teachers!!  I was so excited to share the sweet little felt poinsettia pins that I've made for several years now, from lil fish studios
I just needed to make a quick stop in Michael's before heading to the meeting...
And that was my downfall.  I was going in and out so quickly, I didn't even bother to take my phone.  Or my car keys.  Aye yi yi!! Luckily, we have AAA and so I called for service. That was at 6:08 p.m.  The social hour at our meeting starts at 6:30 and the meeting at 7:00.  
The agent at AAA said the service would be there by 7:08.  What can I do but wait?!?!  Luckily, I really didn't have to wait long . . . happy story, the responder arrived at 6:23!  Less than five minutes later, I'm on the road again.  WHEW! Thank you AAA!

There were some fun surprises waiting for me when I got there. 
Isn't it pretty??  It's the tote from the International Quilt Festival in Houston!  The quilt on the cover?  That was made by my friend and fellow guild member, Barbara Black!  How cool, huh?  She blogs over at My Joyful Journey.  She's a wonderful and talented quilter *and* teacher and a dear friend, too!
She also brought back some of the pretty pins from Houston . . . aren't I lucky?!  

I was also lucky enough to purchase from her an acrylic template for the Antique Rose block (like the one I made here).
I turned up my nose at the acrylic template . . . but that was before the POTC blocks and understanding how the templates can really be a powerful tool to enhance your block design!  I may have to give the Antique Rose block another shot.  *grin*

Ya' know, the magic mirror works with the Antique Rose template, too . . . 
Isn't that awesome?! That reminds me, I need to announce a winner!  I left it in the reliable hands of random.org and my winner was:
Yay, Sandi!  I've notified her and I'll have it to her next week. Sandi blogs at Quilt Cabana Patterns -- you should go check her out -- she posted her block from 100 Blocks today -- it's really cute!

I'm off to play in fabric.  With mirrors and templates, of course!

:)

9 noted . . .:

Kris said...

Well, I could no longer comment on the post with your gorgeous, and I mean gorgeous POTC block, so I am doing it here!! Congratulations to Sandi for her fun win!! And that antique rose template and block are so fun!!

Barbara B said...

So glad you like the Tote bag and pins--you were the most excited and appreciative recipient! And using the mirrors with the Antique Rose star template is genius! As you can see through it you can see what you'll get. I hadn't thought to do that.

Kris said...

P.S. I am glad you got to quilt guild safely and on time!! The Poinsettias are beautiful!!

Missy Shay said...

I love those felt poinsettias!

Needled Mom said...

Thank goodness for AAA! I love the flowers. They look so festive.

Jean(ie) said...

cute pins! AAA always saves the day. The membership pays for itself!

Janet O. said...

Wow, lucky AAA responded so quickly!
Your poinsettia pins are delightful--my goodness, you made bunches!!
Barbara's quilt is amazing. What an honor for her to have it the "face" of Festival this year. Great little pins she brought you. I love to collect little pins like that, too. : )
Oh, no--the woman is into her fabrics and mirror again--here comes more pulchritude!

Teresa in Music City said...

Your beautiful flowers are such a nice bright spot of color when nature is turning so bland :) And you really did have angels helping you out to get AAA to come that fast - it must be a record! Don't you just love those mirrors - they make POTC even more fun - if that's really possible LOL!!!

Sarah said...

Sew many pretties in your post! I like the red sparkle thread on your center pin. Funny name, stash stimulators, make something pretty and create more scraps is more like it. LOL.