Thursday, July 28, 2011

flowers, figs and watermelon . . .

I headed over to Hunter Road earlier this week. We had several different kinds of fruit trees/bushes/vines, and it seemed a shame to just let everything go to the birds! We've got a guy that comes every two weeks and mows, weed eats, and picks up limbs and such, but that's the extent of the yard work. The garden area has gone *wild*!

When I pulled up, the first thing that caught my eye were these beauties, blooming just anywhere they pleased.

They're so happy and pretty. I knew I wanted to take some home, but I needed to check out the fruit situation first. I bagged fruit first and then came back and cut flowers.

By the time I got them home they were looking a little wilted, but I gave them clean cuts, put them in a vase, and they perked right up.

The apple tree was laden with red/green apples, ready for the picking. I picked about a half bushel (as high as I could reach) and Todd and I are going to pare, core and slice them tonight while we watch a movie. Do you know that watching Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (which is what we'll put in tonight) while peeling apples from our tree was the FIRST thing we did in our RV back in July 2009, when we got it? It's like we'll be celebrating our RV anniversary tonight! I'm so glad we were able to move one of our freezers up to the camp -- I'll freeze those apples slices and we'll have apple pie filling for the winter!

For the first year since it was planted, the fig tree was filled, filled, filled with luscious fig fruit!

Aren't they beautiful?

They smell good and they taste even more wonderful. Only, besides from just popping them in our mouths, I wasn't sure what to do with them.

So after a little google time, I found a recipe at Linda's Italian Table for Freezer Fig Jam. I'll substitute Splenda and use a no-sugar pectin and we'll have fig jam for our winter biscuits, too! Whoohoo! I'll take care of them tomorrow or Saturday. While I'm thinking about it, if you're into Italian food, Linda's Italian Table is filled with scrumptious recipes and lots of interesting Italian information.

Finally, the watermelon. Watermelon is a favorite in our home over the summer, especially if it's seedless. Todd and I enjoy it as much as anything for a light, cool summertime dessert. Evidently we're not the only ones. A couple of weeks ago I threw the leftover rind out into the habitat. Within the hour it had disappeared! So yesterday, when I threw out another rind, I kept a closer watch. Sure enough, it didn't take long . . .

One of our little raccoon friends has decided he really likes watermelon too.

Yes, you!

What wonderful summer bounty -- from flowers to fruits to critters -- God is so good!

:)

2 left a comment . . .:

Pat said...

I love seedless watermelon too and this area of Delaware as well as neighboring areas of Maryland grow some really sweet ones.....great cantalopes in this area, too. Now...as for figs, I have never tasted one, so I have no clue what they are like. Your flowers are beautiful and your little critter is cute! Thanks for sharing all this great stuff......be the apples looked great, too!

Sarah said...

I've never been lucky enough to eat fresh figs but those look yummy!