Wednesday, April 04, 2012

creative outlets . . .

While I wait for my machine to be able to go in to get fixed up, I'm finding other means by which to be creative.  Of course, I'm working on getting our women's ministry up and rolling.  This will be the insert for this Sunday's bulletin:
I'm having such fun coming up with ideas and putting together a program -- it's exciting to see what God's doing and going to do!!

I also took this opportunity to go back to my Moda prize and really appreciate the fabrics that had been included in it.  One of the sweet comments on that prize post (from Kris) had shared a little more information on the collection, which is the Friendship Collection by Howard Morris Collections:
Collections for a Cause - Friendship by Howard Marcus - This 1850’s friendship quilt from Philadelphia is the Ninth in a Series of reproduction quilts featuring the Howard Marcus Collection. The series includes antique quilts from across America. This friendship quilt is believed to be a wedding or anniversary quilt. With a cheerful red and cream color palette and fine applique work, this quilt was made with love and friendship for a happy occasion. The center of each block is signed in a beautiful script further indicating the quilter’s desire to create her very finest work. Many of the signatures are from members of the same family. It is our hope that you, too, will create a friendship quilt for the special loved ones in your life. Supporting the Cause…Feeding America “Whose mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.”
How fine is that?  Further indication to me that I need to use these fabrics to 'pay it forward' as it were.  Anyway, I took the fat quarter bundle apart and laid all the pretties out on the table . . . 
And pulled some out that really caught my attention.
These are just such sweet, sweet prints . . . oh yes, I'll have a lovely time playing with these!

And my doctor's visit went fairly well on Monday.  He told me that there is noticeable bone growth around the fusion, which is terrific news, and that the screws are solid and there's good bone growth around them as well.  He said there is a large bone spur that's developed in the front and a lot of bone fragments on the side where the donor bone was packed, which may be causing my pain.  He said the process and healing is very slow and he wants to give it another six months (which is when I'll go back next).  He also put me on an anti-inflammatory, to see if that helps with swelling and pain.  I've noticed a positive difference since then, which is very encouraging to me.

I asked him (mind you, he did not bring this up) if losing a significant amount of weight would be helpful.  LOL!  He took that and ran with it!  Although he was quick to tell me that it's got to be strictly lifestyle changes in diet -- no exercise.  I guess I wouldn't be a good candidate for The Biggest Loser, then.  Haha! 

I happened to have an appointment with my GP that day, as well, and I told him what Dr. DeOrio had said and told him I needed input, guidance and HELP!  Really what I wanted was for him to give me a magic pill (or something) but he was far more practical.  He told me to not change anything for the next three days and to just record what I ate and to track the grams of carbs and sugars.  Then (and not until those three days have passed, which is tomorrow) I am to get online and thoroughly research the South Beach Diet and the 17-Day Diet.  Then I'm to compare those diets to my three days of notes and make some decisions and draw some conclusions.  Then I'll bring it all back to him next week, and he will help me chart out a course of action.  

So that's where I am ... looking forward to seeing where I end up!

:)

16 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Sounds like you are doing great, Denise. I find for myself, if I cut back on carbs, pounds come off. It is easier said than done, though, as I prefer pasta, rice and cereal to meat any day! xo

Jean said...

Sounds like things are humming along, even if your machine isn't. I'm glad to hear that your bone is growing where it needs to be. having had a bone spur, I know painful that can be. Boo on that!

Lee said...

What beautiful fabrics those are! And the way you laid them out, they almost look like 4 scoops of ice cream to go along with your GLOW bulletin - just need the cone. I find that healing from injuries is such a slow thing these days; I remember my wrist doc told me it isn't unusual to take a full year for this type of strain to heal and your injury & surgery was so much more. Dieting...lol, in my book, that's a dirty word! even though I could stand to lose a good 50 lbs! A balanced diet, and proper portions is key. Nice to see you back today :)

Mary said...

Pretty fabrics and I enjoyed the story behind the designs, too. Good luck on your tracking of Carbs and sugars. I wouldn't want to see you on Biggest Loser, you are a winner! Just look at all the giveaways you've won.

Love Bears All Things said...

I love those fabrics, especially the reds...
I find the only thing that works for me is tracking what I eat. I like the WW points system where no food is eliminated as long as you count it...I've been following it so long, I don't even need to join...I've kept my 20 points off and need to lose 6 or 7 more.
Good news about your foot.
Mama Bear

Janet O. said...

What a gorgeous collection of fabrics, Denise! I do have a charm pack of that collection. You are wallowing in it!!
Oh, good luck with the weight loss. Never an easy thing to tackle. I know I could eat better and make a difference in my own life. : )

Momof3girls said...

Weight Watchers is a great program. I lost 25 lbs 4 years ago and have kept it off. You are allowed to eat anything, but smaller amounts of it. There are no special foods to purchase and once you learn how to count the points and all the other things,you don't have to worry about continuing to spend the money for meetings. I quit the meetings after a year and just used what I had learned to stay slim.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I'm super excited about your new ministry! It sounds wonderful and I hope you'll keep us posted! Such beautiful fabrics in that collection - I know you'll enjoy creating something fabulous with it. Continued prayers on the healing front. I hope your pain continues to decrease. Honestly, I think you already accomplish more than most people do in a day!

Quiet Quilter said...

Just a hint...I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a couple of months ago or so...even if you are not in this category, you can still find some good recipes on some of the diabetic sites..

Your fab picks look good, looking forward to seeing what you come up with....

Pat said...

Good luck with the lifestyle changes/diet...etc. I need to do that, too. On vacation, the week we were at Disney, we kept track of our walking and had walked a total of 35 miles. I should have kept right on walking when we got home, but I didn't....maybe if the weather gets back to being nice in the mornings, I can do that...seems if I don't do it early, I don't do it at all. :(

Barbara said...

That sounds like a sensible way to start a diet. Love those fabrics.

Teresa in Music City said...

Glad to hear good news from the Doc! I know it tries the patience to have to wait for our bodies to do their thing. Will pray for continued healing!!! I love the Doc's advice for diet... sounds very sensible and well-thought-out, something that will work into what you usually eat so it is not a complete shock to your diet. Will be interested to hear how that develops!

Sarah said...

Such beautiful fabrics. I am so bad at "dieting" - I'm much better at moderation. The real killer is my Zumba class is cancelled as of 4/12 :(

Kate said...

Beautiful fabrics! Have fun with those.

Sounds like a reasonable path forward on the diet. I'm doing the same, but I've added walking each day. Good luck.

Bonnie said...

I haven't been looking at blogs as much as usual and missed seeing yours. Glad things are moving along on the bone issue (foot? right?) And, ugh for the weight business. You are definitely hampered if you can't get out and move too. I need to get serious again and lose 5 pounds or so. But, I did lose 25 last year and it has stayed off. Yeah! that's the other half of the battle. Good luck. I really like all those reds you are showing. B

Connie said...

Beautiful fabrics Denise and it is great to hear that there is bond growth, I hope your foot continues to get better.