Friday, April 13, 2012

granddaughters, doll quilts, and diets . . .

Oh my!

I had a lovely, lovely day with my darling little Miss Ellie Pearl yesterday.  She just keeps getting more and more personable!  I swear I could just sit there and chat and coo and smile and grin with her for hours!  Yesterday, between naps, she showed me how she plays on her mat with her toys (especially Jacque le Peacock).
And then she gave me that Mona Lisa smile that usually precipitates the full blown grin . . . 
Gracious but I could eat her UP!

Today, after Todd made the run to the post office, I had a lovely treat!
I had forgotten Barbara (from Cat Patches), my swap partner this month, had told me it was on the way!  Isn't it darling!!  I love the mixers and beaters!  And I love the quilting on this too.  And the back view  . . .

And the tag (and the postcard greeting she included)!
I love, LOVE it Barbara:  thank you *so* much!!!

I had a good--and encouraging--visit with my doc yesterday.  Sunday is the start day.  We're celebrating Todd's birthday (the big five-oh) on Saturday (it's actually on the 17th) and didn't want to start a diet before then -- his birthday cake-of-choice is a Carvel's ice cream cake.  Definitely not on the Phase 1 food list.  LOL!

On my way home last night I noticed that one of the small grocery stores was advertising split chicken breasts for a dollar a pound.  Since we're going to be doing a lot of chicken for the next several months, I decided to pull in and get some.  I got four, four pound plus packs of chicken breasts (four breasts per package).  That's a LOT of chicken!  I knew I didn't want to stick it all in the freezer like it was, so this is what I did.

I opened up each package, pulled out the breasts, pulled back the skin, and filleted off a 4-6 ounce portion.

I then pulled the skin back over what was left.

I laid the fillets out and covered them with press and seal to freeze them individually.

I put the rib pieces in a casserole dish to bake (I mean there was still 10-12 ounces on each breast). 
Covered them with a little garlic and onion powders, a little rosemary, and a little salt and pepper.  When they finish baking I'll pick them -- portion out the cooked meat into 1-1/2 cup portions -- and then boil the rest down for stock.

I feel like the frugal housewife!  Yay for me!

Tonight we have campers coming in, and the weather will be glorious for them!  I'm so looking forward to it!

HAPPY Friday!

:)

9 left a comment . . .:

Mary said...

Yea more cute pics of Ellie. I love Chicken, so your pan of it looks really good to me right now. It's lunchtime. Have a great week-ends.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How sweet - a good way to take up your time. Oh, you lucky duck - love the "mixed up" quilt! Enjoy your weekend.

Sarah said...

Some very clever ideas to think of next time I get split breasts on sale.

The mixed up (doll) quilt will look great as a table topper too for a baking spree.

Happy Birthday to Todd!!!

Janet O. said...

Happy Big 5-0 to the man of the house!
That sweet Ellie smile is too precious!
What a fun little swap quilt. I'd want to hang it on my kitchen wall!
You ARE the frugal housewife. Good for you!

big B said...

What a sweetie Ellie is - beautiful smile too. I love your quilt, what a fun package to receive! Have a great weekend :)
-Kim

Mary said...

I am so impressed with your organization in using the chicken purchase to its best. I know the diet will go great. Love the doll quilt from your swap partner.

Barbara said...

Glad you like your quilt. Please don't eat the baby.

Lee said...

Sweet little Ellie, I know you're lovin' all the times you have with her, and I'm happy for you that that is often! What a deal on the chicken breasts! And frugal you are...great planning! Have a blessed weekend.

Madame Samm said...

great quilt...the kitchen one...love that material