Tuesday, April 10, 2012

new additions and a pretty meal . . .

Meet Bear.
Or whatever his name is going to be.  "Bear" was tossed around the most last night, because he's going to be such a BIG dog when he grows up -- and he rather looks like a little polar bear now!  He's a Great Pyrenees, and his grandpa weighed in at 165 pounds!  Can you imagine having that much dog around?!
They're also very gentle and great with children and have terrific dispositions.  And they're herders, so the more kids you have, the more they can help keep them in line.  LOL!  Todd and I have friends who had six puppies to sell and I had known James and Kim were very interested in this particular breed, so last night I went with them to check them out.  Sawyer was in his element.  The place was like a petting zoo, with goats, mini-ponies, dogs, cats and chicks.  I think he really wanted to bring home a goat.  All the way home he kept bleating, "Baaaaaa!"  Oh yeah -- and he did tell us a couple of times that he wanted to ride the pony.  He was serious!

In other news . . . my mom and dad celebrated a quiet Easter this year.  My dad's back is giving him trouble and so travel is not an easy thing for him right now.  My mom, who's ever-creative, was determined to make their Easter meals fun and festive for the two of them, and I think she hit the mark!
I love the egg in a bacon basket!  This would be a fun Easter breakfast.  (Edit:  here's a link on how to make the egg in a bacon baskets.  And then add a 'chives' handle and set it amongst some greens!)

And the shrimp salad bunny, with his deviled egg ears, is just darling!  And look at how nicely her meringue daisies turned out!
But the meringue bunny is my favorite!  What a sweet treat!  I think sometimes the leaning is to scale back when we find it's just the two of us, but I like my mom's thinking here.  Make it fun for two!  Sometimes I need that reminder ... Todd and I have found ourselves as 'just the two of us' on special occasions before, and it's important to not [always] use that as an excuse to do little or nothing.  Don't you agree??!

Hippity-hoppity Tuesday!

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

I see Sawyer has a new buddy! Wow, that will be a great big dog, glad they are gentle and great with kids! I love your mom's beautiful meals. She did a great job, and it is so true. xo

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

What an adorable pup. Wow 165 lbs!! He's going to be a great companion for Sawyer :-)

Janet O. said...

The face on that puppy is too cute!
Kudos to your Mom for making such a festive meal "just for the two of them." I didn't even do that much fun stuff when I had family around! : )

Teresa in Music City said...

Well I am absolutely shame-faced!!! Don and I have definitely gotten into that mentality of doing little since it is just the two of us. We are so grateful that one of our sons brings his family here for Christmas so we can really enjoy it. If not for that I'm not sure we'd go to the trouble of all the decorating. Not good. I need to work more on that :*)

Bear is just adorable and looks like he will make a Sawyer a fine friend and defender through the joys and the trials of his childhood!

Melissa said...

165 is not a dog...it's a person! What a sweet looking puppy. I am glad to hear you are counting yourself and your husband worthy of the effort of doing special things for special occasions. Blessings!

Jean said...

So is he named Bear because he's soft and cuddly like a teddy? Or is he named after Bear Bryant?

Looking at the meal, you take after your mom . :-)

Kris said...

Wow, Denise - That puppy is so cute . . . but 165 pounds?? Youch, that is bear size!! And would you ask your Mom if I can join them for Easter next year?? ;-) Kris

Cathy said...

That is one very cute puppy. And he will be one VERY big dog. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of dog food it will take to get him that size!!! LOL I hope you get lots of videos with Sawyer playing with the puppy, and share them. Those meals of your mom's are so cute. I'm ashamed to admit that it would never even occur to me to do something like that. But then cooking has to be one of my least favourite things to do.

Sarah said...

I've also heard that Pyrenees are great with kids but I had no idea they were that huge. That's gonna be a lot of kibble!

Your mom's Easter plates are very thoughtful. We should all take the time to make out food look great. I try to cook myself good and, sometimes fancy, food but I never "plate" it.

Laurie said...

He's adorable!! And will be a wonderful addition to your family.

One word of advice... get a Furminator! It's a comb type brush that removes all the loose hair, when they shed. (check out youtube videos! LOL) The pet stores charge a forture for them... get one off Ebay... much cheaper.

It works wonders on my huskey... backyard looks like it's snowed when I'm done. Then the birds and squirrels gather the hair for their nests. Win Win!

Lee said...

"Bear" is adorable. I once had a collie/shepherd mix that was mostly white and I called hime Sunny Bear because he was so pudgy & round & fluffy as a pup. Sadly I had to get rid of him...and I hope he found a good home!
How creative your mom was with the Easter food.

Love Bears All Things said...

I do agree....I try to make it special whenever I can...
Mama Bear

Quiet Quilter said...

Love all the animals in your blog....real and eatable...

Connie said...

Sawyer is going to have the perfect dog, how sweet! Love your mom's Easter meals how very creative!!

Momof3girls said...

We had a dog like this, but she died at 6 months. She kept having seizures and they were too much for her. My daughter wants another one, but my husband said no. I hope he changes his mind, when our other dog dies.

Jocelyn said...

Grandma is so creative! Wow!!!

Quilt Hollow said...

Sweet gentle giant! We have a neighbor with one. Great breed but so BIG!!!