Friday, February 15, 2013

a look behind, a look ahead . . .

I hope everyone enjoyed a Happy Valentine's Day!!  I sure did ... my sweet husband spoils me so!  Wednesday night he surprised me with dinner and a movie.  We ate at the restaurant Scene which is in the Monaco theater.  I had steak nachos and they were *very* good!  
And very artsy.  LOL!  I couldn't eat them all, that's for sure.  For dessert we shared a brownie, topped with  ice cream *and* pink cotton candy ... that they pour hot chocolate over.  I *wish* I'd gotten a picture of that -- it was wild!  But very tasty, too!  After dinner we saw The Hobbit (again).  It was the last showing in the theaters and it was obvious why ... we were two of five people watching! It's a great movie -- I'm glad it's coming out on DVD next month -- I'm already ready to watch it again!!

Todd also surprised me with a lovely potted plant and balloons!  (And conversation hearts, which we ate, thankyouverymuch.)
What a sweet guy!  He really is such a fabulous and thoughtful (and generous) husband!  For my part, my gifts to Todd were totally food-oriented.  I cooked him up a big ol' ribeye (his favorite) for Valentine's dinner and for breakfast?
Heart pancakes with raspberry syrup!  Yay!

One of the best surprises of the day was when Todd announced he'd fixed Easy (our golf cart).  Whoohoo!! It was time for a ride to inspect the grounds!  Of course, we headed down to the ponds, lickety-split.
The view from the bottom of Silty Bottom was particularly pretty.  I love how the late afternoon sun washes the tops out of the trees, but their reflection in the pond is so vivid and bold!

One of my (many) favorite spots in the camp is the little stream that runs of Silty Bottom.  I adore the sound of a running creek and we paused for several moments just to drink it in.
Isn't that delightful?!  I can't wait for spring/summer -- I'll take Sawyer down there for sure and we'll play and splash!  I'll bring a towel or blanket, of course, and sit on the bank and dip my toes, but I can see Sawyer enjoying this with every bit of his being!

I had some lovely squishies in the mail this week, too.  My darling pal Kris sent me some lovely-smelling 'therapy for the crud' (essential oils) wrapped in the most darling fat quarter!!
That was so very kind of her -- and those essential oils worked well, too!

And sweet Kathy sent me a passel of crazy quilting charms and embellishments!
Aren't these FUN?!!  Look at all the dragonfly makings and the spider charms!!
This sweet little sewing machine caught my eye, too!
And as if that weren't enough, she included these precious lace motifs, too. Wow!!

And speaking of crazy quilting, I'm slowly making progress on my block . . .
I know it's hard to tell, but I've outlined another flower in the center pentagon:
My plan is to outline all the flowers in the center (with the metallic thread, of course) and then to extend one more of the flowers ... the large green one (in the top, right corner of the block).
And I also finished up my fuschia hyacinths.  Now I'm on to the purple ones. Then I'll go back and add a couple of knots in metallic threads in each one. These take *such* a long time to stitch, but it's totally worth it!  Down below, on the single feather chain, I'm going to do a little button floral arrangement . . . 
Sort of like that, I'm thinking.  It's hard to know until I'm ready to do it, know what I mean?

And finally, what kind of Friday would it be, if there weren't some sort of feline reference?  Today's is a doozie . . .
Evidently when Joc got up out of her seat, Leia quickly made herself at home.  In the Book of Job, no less.  Ah yes, Leia is such the long-suffering, stoic cat.  Heh. Linking her up with Sarah's Feline Friday linky party!

That's it for me today.  I'm off to play with Ellie this afternoon.  Then I've got four days to prepare for RETREAT!  Yay!!  Y'all have a *fabulous* Friday and *wonderful* weekend!!

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Jean(ie) said...

Wow! An action-packed post!

I love the goodies for the crazy quilt. That's going to be fun! I need to do one. I have tons of solid charms. That would be perfect for that.

I got an "I love you" yesterday. But then I get one everyday. Who knows, maybe I'll come home with a valentine gift tomorrow. Got an errand to make.

Lee D said...

thanks for the sneak peak of your 'neck of the woods' ours is all covered with snow still. your crazy quilt block is beautiful. Are you making more? Have fun with Ellie

Linda in Calif. said...

I'm really digging what you have shown here. (Digging - how do you like that old fashioned word?) The charms;adorable! the fuchsia hyacinths;oh how cute and pretty! And your crazy quilting in general, just so lovely. The nachos look yummy (even now at 7:30 in the morning).

Barbara said...

Heart pancakes! No way! That is so sweet. I love your crazy quilt block. Definitely on my someday to do list.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just sweet packages of goodness and jealous of the pancakes. Enjoy your retreat.

Missy Shay said...

I have an essential oil with the same oil blend in it, it is great, did you know that during the either bubonic or black plague there were these burglars breaking into people's houses and they had used those oils to keep from getting the plague? It is commonly called thieves blend because of that!

Barbara F. said...

Your Valentine's Day sounds wonderful, lots of good food, for sure. Love the balloons and plant. You have the nicest blogging buds, D., always sending you such sweet gifts, cause you're a sweet gal! xo

Lee said...

Sounds like a sweet, wonderful <3-Day was had by you both :) And what nice treats to receive too. Are all your crazy quilt stitches (the embroidered parts) done by hand? It's a lot of work! and looks so nice. Some day I'll get a CQ going - I've been saving up a lot of 'fancy' fabrics for the occasion and have picked up a couple of books for the stitches...it's on a long wanna-do list ;)Enjoy this day.

Sarah said...

I'm impressed that Leia can read!! Such lovely and thoughtful gifts for/from both of you for Vday and in your squishies. It's been a good week for you :) There is so much to like on your crazy block that I just can't pick a favorite.

Mary said...

Yea for the countdown to Retreat! I have a bit over 4 weeks left to wait. The stitches are looking FINE! I like the metallic threads. Have fun with Ellie, I get to see 3 of my DGD's and 1 DGS tonight and go to a Sweetheart's dance to celebrate DH's 59th B-day.

Janet O. said...

Ah, you had a lovely Valentine's Day. That is sweet.
Thanks for the gurgling stream--I listened twice! Love that sound and in this frozen neck of the woods there is no running water nearby.
Your mailbox has been good to you!
Your stitching is beautiful! So fun to see this crazy stuff materialize. : )

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I'm really enjoying your crazy quilting adventures... and lovely new pretties! Lol at your studious cat.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I love essential oils. I use them all the time.

Kate said...

Your "crazy" block is looking fabulous!

Norece said...

You live in a beautiful area. You are loved very much. Enjoy all your goodies.

Teresa in Music City said...

LOVE the heart pancakes!!! Yum, Yum, Yum!!! And raspberry syrup - you definitely spoiled him, but I suspect he definitely deserved it :*D

Kathy was also pretty good to you - love all those wonderful embellishments! The sewing machine is my favorite :*)

The sparkly thread really shines on your crazy block! And those hyacinths look almost real! What a fun project!

Jocelyn said...

She did not get in my empty seat-- she was in my lap! :)