Monday, February 25, 2013

reminisces from retreat . . .

So where does one begin, when they're talking about the quilting retreat they've just come home from?
I guess they start with the fabulous view they had from their "station"!
We lovingly refer to this spot as the "greeter station" because you've got to go by it to get in or out from the parking lot.  That didn't bother me in the least ... how could it when I had such a view?  And in case you're wondering, I *did* have a sewing machine with me ... it was just over to the right a bit!

We did (of course) have an opportunity to do a little shopping.  We went to Hammer's, which had a marvelous selection of fabrics from $3 to $6 dollars a yard.  I did my part to boost the local economy . . .
Not the greatest picture but it really is a lovely selection of fabrics!  Those are a white linen and a tonal white down there at the bottom.  I got yardage of both of those.  

I also did a little enhancement through the 'sharing' basket we have each year.  I picked up a pretty piece of Michael Miller's Heirloom Lace.  
It was the only piece in the basket that sparkled, so I knew it was destined to go home with me!

I also picked up a couple of fat quarters from "winnings" through the weekend ... and when I went back to guild on Thursday night (a topic for another post), Gail Garber has this *beautiful* selection of hand-dyed fabrics, pre-packaged, that I couldn't resist!
Luckily I semi-balanced it out with a little destashing and some finishes, so *whew*.  My stash report for this week isn't too out of shape . . .

Used/donated this week: 6.00 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 10.5 yards
Purchased/added this week: 10.0 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 30.50 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -20.0 yards

Actually, now that I look at it, I'm rather pleased with those numbers!  I gave away 3 yards and used 3 yards for my 'used/donated' total.  I'll be quite happy to link that up with stash report #8 over at Patchwork Times!

I also had time to do a little more work on my CQ block.  The next segment was pattern embroidery using a tissue paper method (which I'd never used before). You trace the pattern you want to stitch onto tissue or tracing paper . . .
Then pin the paper to your fabric and stitch directly onto the fabric through the tissue.  It was interesting.  I hope to have this block finished up this week! Linking up to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching post for this week!

I'm also very pleased that (while I didn't exactly completely catch up) I was able to put a dent into the blocks I'm behind on in Barbara Brackman's Grandmother's Choice blocks!  I completed six and got the pieces all cut and ready to be hand pieced for a seventh . . . 
I'm inspired to continue working on these, this week!  I fell in love with that fabric all over again.  They'll go right up on the D/W!

I also worked on blocks for the President's Quilt that our guild's board does for the reigning president each year.
This quilt is going to be a real batik beauty.  Five of us were working on these blocks and I think we decided we are going to have a party and each make this quilt for ourselves!

And I found time to put together my February doll quilt swap piece . . .
Can't show too much, now, can I?  I finish that up and get it in the mail tomorrow!  So there's my wall for the weekend/week ahead ... I'll link it on up to Judy Laquidara's Design Wall Monday post over at Patchwork Times!

I have tons more to share, but I spread it out through the week!  And then there's tons more I can't share ... you know the old adage:  What happens at Quilt Retreat STAYS at Quilt Retreat!  Hahaha!  But we did do some darling make 'n takes I'll share and we had some antics that are fit to print, too!

I'm off to restore some semblance of order as I unpack!!  And then catch up on my bloggy reading and respond to a ton of comments ... there was internet up there, but it was SOOO SLOW and spotty, it was hard to do a whole lot online. And between retreat and a three-day stay with Ellie, I feel so behind! LOL!

Happy Monday!!!

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Needled Mom said...

It looks and sounds like a great time.

Sherry said...

Your retreat sounds wonderful and you accomplished so much. I love to see all of your projects, I do get motivated and inspired. Your embroidered butterfly is beautiful.

Ranch Wife said...

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your retreat time so much! You were very productive, but then again, I don't imagine sleep is high on the list at retreats. :) You can sleep at home!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Welcome home! I have never done a retreat, looks like a lovely time.

Melissa Bishop said...

Gorgeous. I love the pin wheel/star blocks. The doll quilt is adorable.
Sounds like you had a great time. Bye for now.

Janet O. said...

I've never "retreated", myself, but this looks like a lovely location for such a thing. Even through the printed word, I can feel your enthusiasm for the experience. : )
Your stitchery piece just keeps getting prettier all the time.
Your Grandmother's Choice blocks look wonderful--lovely color palette, but I don't see anything sparkling there! *LOL*
Beautiful batik blocks--lucky president! : )

Doniene said...

Sounds like a superb time!!! So glad!! Of course your projects are wonderful!! Thanks for sharing!!

Have a blessed day!!

Paula said...

Welcome Home! Whew! You were a busy lady at the retreat! All your projects are wonderful. I have never been to a retreat but I so many wonderful things about them.
Looking forward to reading more about your retreat after you are settled. (and probably getting some rest and letting that sewing machine rest also)
Hugs

Mary said...

How do I comment of it ALL? Love the fabrics you are using for the Grandmother's Choice Blocks. the Butterfly, the fun stash enhancements, Sew glad you had a fun time. Anxiously awaiting my TIME Away...

Chris said...

You have so many great projects going. The retreat sounds like it was so fun.

Jean(ie) said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time at retreat! I love Hammers! It's like a huge fabric sale! Oh I wish I could have been there...

Sarah said...

That is quite the table set up you had. I clearly have a lot to learn about going to retreats :) And you got a lot more done than you let on over the weekend - congrats!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a beautiful view you had at retreat!
What a cool technique for embroidery... thanks for showing us!

Teresa in Music City said...

Welcome back girlfriend! So glad you had a good time. If you're like me, there's too much going on at retreat to sit down and spend time on blogging. We'll look forward to your update posts :*)

Your fabric additions are absolutely YUMMY!!! Specially the MM sparkly one :*) Those hand-dyes are to "dye" for too LOL!!!

I can't believe how good you are getting with your embroidery! Love that sweet butterfly!!!

Michelle May said...

What a fun time! Quilt retreats are the best treat we give ourselves. :)
xx

Kate said...

Wow, you got a lot done. I love the addition of that butterfly to your CQ block.

You did a great job of stash balancing. Very pretty acquisitions!

Sherry Gareis said...

So glad you had such a great time. A quilting retreat? Who would have thunk? Clearly I am behind the times! My favorite comment was about the sparkly fabric. Now THAT I can relate to! :)