Friday, February 08, 2013

friday on my mind . . .

Ever heard of that song?  By The Easybeats -- an Australian rock & roll band from the sixties.  The lyrics are kind of funny -- hodge podge -- and the music is classic sixties à la The Monkeys.  There aren't really a whole lot of songs with Friday in the title (comparatively -- especially to Saturday, Sunday and Monday).  This one -- Friday on My Mind -- won out for today's title appearance.  Gee ... I hope I don't have to pay royalties or anything!

Speaking of winning ... I've got some!  Winners, I mean.  Yay!!  Stay put!

I'm not posting another picture of my quilting bunk room ... because it looks exactly the same as it did Wednesday.  It's apparent I haven't had decluttering the quilt room on my mind!

I have had fun with my crazy quilting course!  On Wednesday I did some shopping for embellishments and the like . . . 
What fun, what fun!!  Almost as good as bring home piles of fabric.  LOL!  I probably won't use/need all of this for this course, but this is the year of crazy quilting for me, so I do plan on putting it all to good use in some form or fashion! I went straight from shopping to visit with Joc and Ellie.  
My sweet girls!
Leia was particularly interested in my yarn (aka fiber) selections.  I'm so glad they met with her approval.  Linking her up with Feline Friday over at Sarah Did It!  ;)

Ellie had fun showing me her toys.  I can't get over how fast she's growing!  
She's such a charmer, too.  I adore how she tilts her head to one side, when she's being cute and lovable!!

Leia watches from a safe height.  
She's learned that Ellie is a pretty fast crawler and also has a decent reach. I get the feeling that Leia's very curious about Ellie and almost likes her ... she just does NOT want to be touched by Ellie!

Ellie loves to be read to ... she'll sit quite nicely and turn the pages when directed.  My favorite to read to her is a classic . . .
Yes, I meant literally!  LOL!  Is a girl ever too young to be interested in Pride and Prejudice??!  Of course, this is just a counting primer. (Did you know that word is pronounced "primmer" with a short i sound?  I did not.)  But it's quite darling.  I got it for Ellie for her birthday.  Here's my favorite page . . .
Four marriage proposals -- that just cracks me up.  Like I said, too cute!!

My crazy quilt block is ready for embellishing, but the thought of it really overwhelmed me.  Having never done this before, I wasn't sure where to start with all that BLANK space.  Being the visual person that I am, I decided to print out a picture of my block (which will be a thread roll-up when the project is complete) and start pencil doodling possible seam treatments and embellishments.
This is my mock-up!  It's a rather fascinating process.  Of course, it won't look exactly like that because there will be stitches I'll be required to use ... and of course I won't use black floss ... and some of it will be buttons or beads or ribbon!  I'm really excited with the direction this is going!

Tomorrow we have a big work day at the camp -- to get the obstacle course all finished up!  Yay!!  We've got about 25 or so volunteers planning on coming out to help, so it will be a big day.  I can't wait!  I -- along with some very sweet volunteers -- will be manning the camp kitchen and helping prepare and serve lunch to all our hungry workers.  Hoping for sunny skies!

And finally ... would you like to know who the winners are of the book, Decluttering Now!?  

Mr. Random.org helped me out here ... the two winners are:

Gone Country of From City Streets to Country Roads, who wrote:
Sounds like a wonderful book since it hits on how to handle the 'stuff' in our lives but also how to handle the other 'stuff' in them as well. What a great balance that we all need. I also like the part about serving the Lord will all your heart and how can we when our hearts (and minds) are a cluttered mess!
Crossing my fingers for winning this giveaway as I daily struggle to combat the mental need for 'stuff' and I have no room nor need for most of it!
And Jan of Red Sock Mama, who wrote:
Oh my, a Christian based book on decluttering? A dream come true. I've been a functional hoarder for years. I look like a minimalist on the surface, but just beneath is a jumble-in all areas! I'm realizing now that tossing out is simply treating symptoms...need to get to the source!
Congratulations to both ladies!  As soon as I get mailing information from you, I'll pass it along to Sherry, so she can put books in the mail!  And a BIG thank you to Sherry and Lindon for so graciously providing!

Happy Friday, y'all -- have a GREAT weekend!!

:)

19 left a comment . . .:

Mary said...

Always a joy to see your sweet girls. Ellie was in a playful mood for the camera. Have a great week-end. The doodling on the crazy patch looks fun! Congrats to the Winners.

Sarah said...

Leia has quite the stern eye on Miss E!! Your crazy quilt block is going to be stunning!! I would still be staring at the blank space trying to figure out where to start...

gpc said...

Ellie is adorable, and that P&P for children is hysterical! Your block is going to be fantastic!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Cute family! It's funny how some cats just like to watch. Great idea to draw out your CQ ideas... you will have so much fun!

Gone Country said...

What a great time you must've had shopping for those fun embellishments!

I chuckled at your 'being overwhelmed' statement... that's the way I feel right now trying to figure this whole quilting thing out, lol!

I have managed to complete the first step. I only had to rip one out a couple of times.... now on to pressing them before starting the next step.

I'm so excited about winning! I can't wait to get the book and start getting to the root of my 'need for stuff' problem. My heartfelt thanks to you, Sherry & Lindon for this awesome give away!

Missy Shay said...

I still have not made my crazy quilt block, I just cannot decide what I want to do!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a sweetie pie! Congratulations to the winners and thank you for hosting.

Neighbor Chick said...

What a bunch of sweetie girls you've got! (kitty, too-ha). That Pride and Prejudice book is just adorable! Have a lovely day.
Neighbors About Town Blog

Lyndsey said...

I love the photos of Ellie she is so cute. You are right that you are never too young for Jane Austen. My two girls just love pride and prejudice and can recite great chunks of it.

Your crazy quilting looks fun and is something I must try in the future. You are very creative and have a good eye for colours etc so the final results should be spectacular and I can't wait to see it.

Janet O. said...

Wow--that is some serious crazy quilting stuff there, Denise! But I know you will put it to good use. Your mock-up looks great!
A Pride and Prejudice Primer--LOVE IT! One of my favorite books and I have at least 4 different movie versions.
Ellie is as charming as ever--and Leia is as silly as ever--looks so regal at times and then takes that goofy pose on the ends of furniture and such. Cracks me up!

Kaisievic said...

Great post - I so enjoyed it!

Needled Mom said...

Don't you wish you could keep them little for a long time???

The crazy quilting looks like it will be fun.

Kate said...

Love your plans for you crazy quilt block.

Congrats to the winners of the book.

Kris said...

Oh, wow, Denise - your daughter looks JUST like you - beautiful!! And I sooooooo love the mock-up of your crazy quilt block!! I even reallllllly like the black as the thread!! Hope you are feeling better - bug decruder is on the way!!

LuAnn said...

Your crazy quilting course looks like lots of fun, and you have some wonderful supplies. Your girls are adorable.

Ranch Wife said...

Looks as if you got to spend some sweet time with your 2 best girls - always a blessing! And look at all of that fun loot! Oh, Girl! You are going to have a ball! So clever to doodle on a copy. I imagine it won't be long before Ellie starts her own collection of fun treasures and begins her own creative journey.

Jean(ie) said...

Oh what fun! I love what you're doing on the crazy quilting. I want to play along!!!!!! (like I need another project...LOL!

I had to "pin" that book. I just bought a huge giftcard for my grandbaby to keep her in books all year. That way her mom will see it and put it in her order box.

Sherry - Action Plan Ministries said...

Just wanted to say thank you to Denise for the opportunity to share Declutter Now with her followers. It has been such a blessing! And getting to know Denise, well, that has been the best part of this journey! We can't wait to get the books in the mail for the winners! Thanks everyone! :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've been collecting 'stuff' to make a crazy quilt for several years now. One of these days I just might start it (but not today).