Monday, February 11, 2013

in the name of love . . .

What a weekend ... in the middle of all the hustle and bustle at the camp, with over THIRTY volunteers out here helping to finish up the obstacle course . . . 
Joc ended up taking Ellie to the emergency room.  Little Miss flipped herself right off the changing table!  Joc said she was fine until she tried to stand up on her right foot/leg.  So in they went and sure enough, there's a tiny break on her right fibula.
The doctor told Joc that these breaks are so common in toddlers that it's actually referred to as a Toddler's Break.  It just showed up as a small abnormality on the x-ray -- and he splinted Ellie from hip to toe!  It's not slowed her down much ... she's already figured out how to crawl around with it, stand in it, and crawl out of it. 
I remember that kind of struggle ... same foot/leg and everything!  Just so you know, Ellie was *not* going to let that thing beat her:
Haha!  She's a conqueror! Joc will take her into a pediatric orthopaedist this week and he'll make the final determination on whether or not it needs to be casted.  Luckily, these breaks heal fast - usually within four weeks, tops.

My stash report has a little in and a little out this week . . .

Used/donated this week: 0.50 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 4.5 yards
Purchased/added this week: 1.0 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 20.25 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -15.75 yards

Another week of "I'll take that!!"  Linking up to Judy's Week #6 report over at Patchwork Times. 

On my design wall this week is really my crazy quilting block/course.  I'm working in Lesson Five, which is a lot of decorative stitching practice.  Here's a shot of my 'doodle cloth' along with one of my stitch templates!
I also pulled out Mr. Owlie and have been putting some more stitching into him.
Again, I'm taking full use of my last stitch course and putting my new repertoire of stitches to use!  I used the outline stitch on the little blue flower.  
I'll probably do some chain stitching around the flowers as well.

Also on my wall this week is a secret project.  I can't even show the fabric, or I'd give it away.  Next week I should be able to share pictures on that!  In the meantime, I'll link this post up to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching and Judy's Design Wall Monday link ups!

With Valentine's Day looming, I thought I'd share a couple of interesting sites I'd found, in case you're looking for a creative way to say, "I love you!" to someone special!  The first site has been around for a while -- it's called You Are Your Words. You upload the picture of your choice and then type in descriptive words. I used one of our wedding day photos.
The site then converts your words to your picture.  Isn't that cool??  
I pulled it up in publisher and added our names and wedding date up there and the verse that I used as our 'words' -- 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 -- the love passage -- Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,  does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.  And have this as an end product:

I also stumbled on this darling little freebie Floral Heart Monogram on Wedding Chicks.  You type in your name or initials or whatever you want, and it puts it in the pretty little heart and downloads it for you . . .
Isn't that cool?  And I loved the colors!!  I also did a couple using "Neesey" and each of the grands' names, too. All in the name of love, right??!

Happy Monday!

:)

27 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a ovely photo - what fun links that I am going to play with today.

Sowing Stitches said...

Ellie is a trooper! May her bones knit together at rapid speed!

Now I am quite curious about the pictures of the obstacle course...please tell me more about the camp! :)
My son is in full-time camp ministry.

Kate said...

Glad that Ellie is taking her injuries in stride. We had one emergency with DT when she was 2 that still makes me cringe when I think of it.

Your Mr. Owlie is looking good two. Love all those bright colored flowers. Lots of opportunity for pretty stitches.

Jeanie said...

Prayers for Ellie's quick healing! And thank you for those great links. I'll be trying them soon.

Doniene said...

Ellie is quite the trooper!! Blessings for quick healing!! You always have such fun projects - way to go!!

Have a blessed, joyful day!

Love Bears All Things said...

I know Joc felt bad about the baby's leg but its all part of life....Blessings,
Mama Bear

Needled Mom said...

Oh no!!! Poor baby! It does not look to be slowing her down any though.

Love your picture done in words.

Judy said...

Sorry to hear about Ellie's fall! That's a really neat design, turning your photo into words. Thanks for sharing.

Missy Shay said...

Aww, poor baby. I love your owl!

Jean(ie) said...

Go Ellie! Nothing can stop you now!!!!! She's invincible.

I love that pic of you and hubby. Beautiful couple. :-)

Lee D said...

poor Ellie. Kids are troopers and bounce back quickly. She hasn't lost her precious smile. Your stitchery looks beautiful.

Mary said...

Ellie is trying to be an Olympic gymnast, huh? Flipping off and crashing, no fun! Scary for momma Joc. Glad she got it checked out. Cute word pictures for the Heart Day, too.

Melissa Bishop said...

I just realized that if you are commenting on my blog, you posted! I love Owly!He is so cute. The stitching really sets him off and gives him a finished look. I started an email to you and it is turning into an epic novel. Sorry! lol Too much going on for comments. God bless!

Barbara said...

Oh gosh! Poor Ellie, although I'm guessing it pains Joc more then Ellie. Great sites. I'm going to have to check those out.

Barbara F. said...

This age they are lightning quick!! Need eyes all over your head! I hope this cutie doesn't need a cast. Looks like she is a trooper like her Daneesey! I felt so bad when I saw her leg :( Glad it won't take too long. xo

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Will keep Ellie in my prayers- poor little tyke!

Love the wedding photo!

Janet O. said...

I'm glad it wasn't more serious for Ellie. I've had her in my prayers. She WILL overcome! : )
Your stitching on Owlie is so cute!
Love that photo to word idea. What a handsome couple!

Sarah said...

Hey - no fair teasing!! Poor Miss E - my youngest nephew broke his leg after a fall down the stair and not a single thing could keep the little guy down. I wish the same for Ellie.

Lisa said...

Firstly, oh baby! I'm glad she's ok, but gee whiz, that must have been scary for all of you!

Thanks for the great links, Denise! I'm looking into both of them now! I love your doodle cloth, and your stitchy owl is a hoot! Can't wait to see more! Have a fabulous day, friend!

Cathy said...

Ahhhh, poor little Ellie! Glad she's OK, but that must have been quite the scare for Jocelyn! I LOVE what you are doing on your owl. It is taking it to a whole new level.
Bee-you-tee-full!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my gosh! I bet you all were frantic when Ellie fell!!! They are really pretty tough though. I do remember my sister saying once that no one had ever told her before she got pregnant that a child was born with the intent of trying to kill itself in some way or other LOL!!! So glad Ellie is okay and on handling it like the trooper she is :*D

Looks like you are on your way to becoming a stitchery expert! What wonderful stitches, and I love what it has done for your Mr. Owlie! He's so cute, and he's going to get lots cuter :*)

ANudge said...

Cute little owl! Poor little baby. Looks like she's handling it well.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the stitches on your Mr. Owl! Very beautiful work!

Rhonda said...

You have been very busy. Love all the projects. The owl is a great project to get in some hand stitching.
I'm just getting around to DWM to get a look-see at what everyone is up to.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Good thing Ellie bounces back quickly.

Dar said...

I'm catching up on my blog reading and see that you have been very busy. Love your stitching on Mr. Owlie. I'm a collector of owls from my college days, so I have many of these fellows around. Glad your Ellie is doing fine now. Bet hat was a real scare. Thanks for the sites about sweethearts day. Those are very interesting.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Poor baby!

Love those links though, thanks for sharing.