Wednesday, February 29, 2012

happy surprises . . .

There's so much from the quilting retreat that I have wanted to share ... but I feel like I need to break it up into bits and pieces -- because there really was *so* much!  I want to start with the location of Grand Oak Retreat.  Out in Scottsboro, overlooking the lake, it's really a beautiful spot.  You can just barely make out the house from the road, it's so far up the hill . . . this is about one-third of the way up the (very winding) drive.
The first happy surprise came just a tad further up the drive, at a level spot . . .
The gate had not been there on my last visit and there's a good reason for that.  If you remember THIS post, you will recall that in my prior work life, I sometimes had the opportunity to put my *creative* skills to use designing ornamental iron.  And it just so happens, I designed this gate!!  I was so *tickled* to see it hanging!  Cindy, the owner, told me that it had been installed in September.  They don't have the electric opener on it yet -- hopefully before summer.
The block is the Lucky Clover and I found it on Quilter's Cache.  The original drawing I did (which is what is shown on the earlier blog post) had the square half the size.  I doubled it for the final drawing for Cindy, and I think it really does look pretty incredible.
If I do say so myself!! 

You know what else is incredible?  The view once you get to the top of the drive!
Sometimes, with a view like that, it's hard to stay focused on sewing!  But more on that in a future post.

Another happy surprise awaited me at home.  I'd won a sweet giveaway on Quilt Hollow and the sweet little felt stitchery patterns had arrived!
Aren't these darling?  Mary had been given five patterns to give away from Little Stitches.  The first winner got to pick two of her choice.  I loved the little bunnies and the chick train.  It's just in time for Easter!  Yay!!

Today will be a busy day catching up on ministry paperwork and things I didn't do while I was gone.  It's piling up a bit!  Tonight is church and tomorrow is an Ellie day, so I need to get 'er done!

:)

18 left a comment . . .:

Mary said...

AND you WON $300 in Fabrics you Lucky Lady. The gate looks GREAT!

Paula said...

I remember reading your blog about the gate design. How exciting is it must have been to drive up and see YOUR design. Gives me goosebumps.
Congrats on your wins!!!!
Hugs

Teresa in Music City said...

Well you are one talented lady! That's a wonderful gate design, and I love the way the design shows up on the road in shadows =^..^=

Jean said...

OOH, I looooooooooove that gate. How cool!

Dang woman, you are lucky!

Janet O. said...

Very nice gate design, Denise. You should be bustin' some buttons over that one!
Congrats on your win of the cute little patterns--yes, perfect for Easter.
That is a gorgeous view!!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

What a beautiful gate! Well done and what a fun surprise when you drove up! I'm excited for you! Your spring patterns are darling. They'll be fun to stitch up.

Sarah said...

How fun to drive up to "your" gate! Now you need either a quilty gate for the camp or a block on the RV door. Someday I will have a garden shed with a "barn" block on it - hexies of course!

John'aLee said...

Beautiful gate! How rewarding for you. Darling patterns too. Congrats!

Melissa said...

That gate is amazing. I love how its shadow looks a bit different than it does. You're very talented.

Quiet Quilter said...

Love the gate and the view....know you enjoyed what was inside also....

Marcia Hohn said...

The Gate is wonderful!

Marcia:o) ...from The Quilter's Cache

Rachel's Quilts said...

The gate is lovely. And the view... amazing.

Momof3girls said...

Girl, you are blessed indeed! You are constantly winning something. :)

That's a beautiful gate. You could always go into business designing gates for a living, if you ever got bored. lol

KOcanQuilt said...

Where did you win $300.00 in fabric? I missed that somehow. That gate is amazing. I can't imagine how it felt to see that. Enjoy that baby!

Connie said...

Wow! What a beautiful gate you designed! That must have been so neat to drive up to it! Congrats on your great wins too!

Kate said...

Beautiful gate. What a nice surprise to see it when you went for the retreat.

Quilt Hollow said...

I am finally catching up here on your blog early hours this am.

Dar said...

I'm so happy that you referenced your prior post about the gate. I had missed it before. That is wonderful. We have a gate on our current house, but it was up already when we bought the house. If we ever have to replace it, I may use your idea and chose one of my favorite blocks to showcase it. What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing.