Monday, November 01, 2010

design wall monday; long time coming . . .

I've really had an active week of quilting and quilting projects (finally)! I had a great time at our stitch group's stitch-in on Saturday; I worked on and finished my Candy Corn Table Topper. It's the first project I've created that I've created a tutorial for, as well! Check it out in yesterday's post, HERE!

Then finally, after months of waiting and waiting -- some procrastination, some unable to sew, some waiting on the proper tools -- I've finally started on my hexagon quilt along! (Never mind that the actual quilt along, found HERE on Jaybird Quilts, was over ages ago - June 13th, to be exact!)
I've cut out stitched my first set of hexagons (instructions here). But, as per the instructions, I have not sewn the halves together. Today I'll work on the second set of blocks (instructions here).

I'm loving working with the jelly roll strips . . .


And the layer cake!

But I'm *really* digging this fabric, Moda's Boutique by Chez Moi. Cute, cute, CUTENESS!

I'm also really digging this new ruler that I bought specifically for this project. You should see me cutting triangles! I was just whizzing long. I'm very impressed with this ruler!

In less than an hour, I had sewn together five sets of strips from my jelly roll, and cut them into triangles . . .

I'll finish playing around with these today, too!

Also, don't forget to check out Judy Laquidara's blog, Patchwork Times, to see what other fun projects quilters are working on!

Happily I sew along . . .

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Kathie said...

Beautiful fabrics, I can see why people get hooked on jelly rolls.

Sally Hamilton said...

I bought my first jelly roll a few months ago for a wedding quilt and will definitely buy another one soon.

Teaquilts said...

Great start on the Hexagon Sew along. That ruler looks very interesting...hmmm.

Tamera said...

What adorable blocks! I think my guild did this quilt not too long ago!

Chris said...

OMG that looks great!! I love the fabric you selected. Please post the quilt once finished so we can all drool :)

AnnieO said...

That Boutique fabric is yummy--I was given a charm pack of it and made a little wall hanging that I gave away on my blog a bit ago, but now I'm hoarding the rest of them. This is a great way to use the jelly roll strips. Pretty!

Cathy said...

I love your hexies. They are bright, and fun, and happy. I've been following different people who have been doing that particular quilt along, but have yet to join in. But, after seeing yours...............

jan said...

How have I missed your blog until now? Beautiful work! I'll be a follower from now on! :)

Barb in Mi said...

Nice hexies! And what a running start you have had!

scraphappy said...

I've seen some interesting rulers, but that one may take the prize. Nice Hexies. Not sewing the two halves together will make them so much easier to get together in the end.

Donna said...

Great fabrics, cool ruler. I never saw that ruler before.

To answer your question, the butterflies are stencilled with fabric paint. Sorry to reply this way, but blog-city doesn't let me see your email address.

Quilter Kathy said...

That looks like great fun! I haven't seen that ruler before.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

better late than never!! ;-)